The Central Ohio Pen Club held our regular monthly meeting this past Sunday. Despite the poor weather, a group of more than 20 pen enthusiasts attended to enjoy two highlights:

1. Tim’s coffee (available from The Coffee Mess at www.thecoffeemess.com)

2. A presentation by Luke Enyart, who joined us from the Porkopolis Penners pen club in Cincinnati (www.porkopolispenners.wordpress.com)

Here is Luke, preparing to tell us how he got into pen collecting and repair before demonstrating his skills by replacing the sac on a Parker 51 as we watched.

First, we need a victim….. I mean a volunteer. Luke brought his Ariel Kullock Demonstrator 51 which was perfect for demonstrating the inner workings of Parker’s Vacuumatic filling mechanism.

Like any good repairman, Luke had a toolbox full of all sorts of cool stuff. As he said, finding the right size sac in all the stuff can be the hardest part!

Luke has a variety of expensive tools, which includes chopsticks from his favorite local restaurants. He has these in a range of sizes and almost never runs out. Can you tell he likes Asian food?

I don’t remember if this picture is the old sac coming off or the new one going on. I don’t see ink everywhere, so maybe it is the new one.

Luke had some good tips for getting the assembled filling mechanism back into the pen, which can be a tight fit. Here it is back in the pen.

Operating properly, too, as Luke demonstrated by filling the pen with water

And back in the collection she goes, ready to write an invisible message because the pen is still filled with water!

Many thanks to Luke for coming all the way to Columbus to join us and share his knowledge with us!

Our next meeting will be Sunday March 11 from 2 to 4pm .

It will be “Black Pen Day” so bring your black pens for show and tell. Also, for part of our meeting we will FaceTime with the Chicago North Branch Pen Club, so we get to see even more pens and make more friends!

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR NEXT MEETING ONLY

Sunday March 11, 2 to 4 pm
Columbus Metro Library Northside Branch
1423 N. High Street
Columbus