Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best daily fountain pen?

Thanks

Default Re: Best daily fountain pen?

Favorite grab and go to work pen is the Platinum 3776 Century.

It is a great size and shape. It looks small but some how I find it to be ergonomically sound. Sits great in a dress shirt pocket. Solid clip. Nice big nib and a great reliable writer. It also isn’t too showy or blingy. It isn’t so fancy that if it got a little scratch here or there you would be crushed but it is still luxurious enough to make you feel like you got something a little special to write with.

& the clincher. Not only does it ride in the pocket great, it doesn’t spit ink into the cap and even if it did the cap locks down so nice and tight that you just are never going to have a mishap. & no dry out. Ever.

Solid, dependable, nice clip, great cap. Comfortable and easy to maintain. A little fancy but not so fancy you fret over it.

Plus the M nib is a narrow one, more like a F or MF and that is a perfect size for work or school but not needle-y or spidery.

I ended up with 4 of these (all different nibs and finishes all spectacular right out of the box, though one is vintage). I never have 4 of anything that is not vintage. If I am late, and dressed for work and running out the door I pop the M nib 3776 in my pocket if it is in reach by default.

I also like the Sailor 1911(L) and the Pilot C74 or CH912 but for some reason the Platinum gets the most pocket time at work. I just feel secure with it in my shirt pocket (I have to dress for work). A great no bullshit pen and I am always surprised at how lovely (and surprisingly large) that nib is.

I soft cap it (don’t torque it down) if I need quick draw in a meeting. Then to go torque it down. Unlike my Pelikan I never pull this puppy out of my pocket to discover that I am just holding the cap. Best cap in the business.

If I am sitting and working at home I use my vintage Sheaffers & Parkers. If I have to suit up and go, I often will rock a Japanese pen. The 3776 is the best of the lot for that application. YMMV.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 16th, 2018)

Thanks

It will depend on what size pen you find comfortable, but I think the Lamy 2000 checks the boxes for a lot of people. They write very well. Piston fill holds a bit more ink than a converter. It has an ink view window so you can tell when you're getting low. The cap is a push/pull instead of a screw on/off, so it's easier to cap and uncap if you're in a meeting and taking notes. The clip is wonderful in that you can squeeze the base of it to open it up and very easily clip it onto anything. The way it works it is also unlikely to bend and lose its ability to hold onto things. I also like that it's incredibly easy to unscrew the section from the body to remove the nib and feed for deep cleaning. It also provides open access to the barrel and reservoir to swab and clean the face of the piston. Lastly, the black makrolon version is not a smooth surface. I suspect it's pretty good at hiding the small scratches and marring every pen picks up from daily use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

titrisol (March 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I think it is going to be just like a camera, the best one is the one you have with you.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

So,a little update. I picked up a pilot custom74 in dark blue med nib and a lamy 2000 med nib, currently inked with noodlers bay state blue. Both are such fantastic writers, I tend to switch back and fourth throughout the day. I’ve also looked at the platinum 3776 century but haven’t pulled the trigger yet....also picked up a Conklin crescent filler mark twain in “peanut butter”color. Awesome aesthetic, haven’t inked it yet though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I'd suggest thinking first about your usual writing habits - a pen for long writing stints, or for occasional note taking? If the latter, a slip cap or retractable nib pen will make life easier. Parker 51 (round but characterless nibs) or Lamy 2000 (much more character) as well as VP can make great daily pens. Parkers are indestructible, or nearly. Ditto Lamy 2000s, except for cap cracks.

If you are happy with a screw cap, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is one of my favourites, as well as Platinum 3776 (very crisp writing nibs, can be a bit dry - F is great for maths and marginal notes) and Pelikan m200 series (more generous medium nibs lay down more ink, great for continuous writing). All of these are really high quality pens. If you want something chunkier you might add the Edison Collier.

Another thought - nib swaps; Pelikan, Edison, make it easy. Japanese and vintage pens, you're stuck with what you get. If you've already got a strong preference, that won't bother you.

Thanks

Oh .... just saw your update. Congrats on getting your new pens. And welcome to the Lamy 2000 club!

Thanks

Pelikan 400 from the 50's. I was never a big Pelikan fan until I got mine but it's a fabulous daily writer. I also second the VP. Got a couple of those also.

David

Thanks

I like my Sailor 1911 Large. Feels great in the hand, writes perfectly every time, great nib, quality build, and about $200 on-line.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikefromsac For This Useful Post:

SIR (March 17th, 2018)