Thread: Parker Duofold diaphragm size

Thanks

Default Parker Duofold diaphragm size

I am trying to verify something. What size diaphragm do I use on a Parker striped Duovac in the regular 5 and a quarter inch size with a plastic plunger. Is it the debutante size or standard size?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Parker Duofold diaphragm size

I think it is standard, but... I have an identical pen that I'm taking with me to the LA show this weekend and will ask to confirm which size. If you haven't heard by then I'll have a solid answer from one of the smart ones.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks, I got impatient and tried a debutante size.

Now I am dealing with another issue. The cap had some foil on the inside of it, not learning my lesson yet to leave well enough alone, I took it off. The cap screws on tight with the section and nib out, but when I put them in, the cap will not tighten down at all.

So I put some more aluminum foil in and it works well enough. I wonder if it is the section causing this because it is too long? Could the nib be too long? Any ideas? The bottom of the section looks different than what I am used to.

Thanks

I just took a look at mine, which appears to be an identical pen (different color, but...). I think that stuff you pulled out was someone's crude method of dealing with loose threads that had either worn or the barrel shrunk. The only thing inside my cap is the inner cap that meets up with the rim of the section. Your section looks the same as mine and the nib appears to be set to the appropriate depth. If you ever remove a nib and feed, it is important to check the depth of the cap so you don't screw on the cap, find you didn't push the nib/feed in far enough, and end up mashing the tips of the tines.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (February 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Some other guy had the same question. I answered there as well. Deb sized diaphragm.

Your pen is a vacumatic filled Duofold.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 13th, 2018), Linkinyeah (February 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Some other guy had the same question. I answered there as well. Deb sized diaphragm.

Your pen is a vacumatic filled Duofold.
    Thanks, I figured this out, I was just second guessing myself. Farmboy, any ideas on the issue with the cap? What strikes me as odd is that it will tighten on fine without the nib and section in place, but not when they are in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    Farmboy, any ideas on the issue with the cap? What strikes me as odd is that it will tighten on fine without the nib and section in place, but not when they are in.
    I'm not FB but I would suspect that the cap threads are either worn or the cap has expanded (or barrel shrunk, though it didn't appear so). It can screw on because without the nib/section it can go farther down over the barrel and the threads reach up into a narrower diameter or threads that haven't worn. When you put the section in place it bottoms out against the inner cap (as it should) but the threads aren't gripping due to the above reasons. As I stated before, the previous owner dealt with it by 'shimming' the inner threads with aluminum foil, a dodgy if effective solultion.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Farmboy, any ideas on the issue with the cap? What strikes me as odd is that it will tighten on fine without the nib and section in place, but not when they are in.
    I'm not FB but I would suspect that the cap threads are either worn or the cap has expanded (or barrel shrunk, though it didn't appear so). It can screw on because without the nib/section it can go farther down over the barrel and the threads reach up into a narrower diameter or threads that haven't worn. When you put the section in place it bottoms out against the inner cap (as it should) but the threads aren't gripping due to the above reasons. As I stated before, the previous owner dealt with it by 'shimming' the inner threads with aluminum foil, a dodgy if effective solultion.
    Okay, that makes sense. I thought about sending it to a repair man, but I wasn't sure if there were some other home remedies I could try first. Also, if it has expanded, or if the barrel shrank, is there anything that can even be done without just swapping out parts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. I thought about sending it to a repair man, but I wasn't sure if there were some other home remedies I could try first. Also, if it has expanded, or if the barrel shrank, is there anything that can even be done without just swapping out parts?
    Most common repair process involves stretching the barrel to make it engage in the cap threads. Other possibilities include shaving the inner cap to allow more engagement or installing a sleeve in the cap and recutting the threads.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 13th, 2018), Linkinyeah (February 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Yeah, I read this on a fountain pen network post after doing more research. Here is the link if anyone would like to read it : http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ead-onto-body/