Thread: Best ink for montblanc?

Thanks

Default Best ink for montblanc?

I know I may be asking a bias group, but here we go.

What inks do you use in your Montblanc fountain pen?

Recently acquired a 144, and currently have it inked up with Noodlers Black, and was just interested in seeing what everyone uses, or what may work “better” for my pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Best ink for montblanc?

Any ink labeled "fountain pen ink" will work fine. You can choose the color and price you like regardless of the brand of your pen. Have a look at the ink reviews and inky goodness subforms for ideas, and learn about "dry" and "wet" inks to narrow down your choices. (I still have difficulty with those attributes.)

By the way, don't be sucked in by Montblanc's luxury branding as a basis for choosing ink, though some of their colors are quite nice.
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 14th, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 15th, 2018), Pterodactylus (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

I used Waterman Blue-Black in my 132; various MB inks in my 145 Test Special, and Diamine Beau Blue in my Generation.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I have used many inks in my four 144 pens. No ink presented a problem. I like a dry ink best, to keep the flow under control, more or less. Pelikan 4001 series inks are fairly dry. I have Pelikan violet 4001 in one Bordeaux medium 144, Montblanc blue black in another EF 144, Pelikan 4001 Black in the Bordeaux 144 with the broad stub and wetter Sailor purple ink in a fine Bordeaux 144. I have used MB, Pelikan, Sheaffer, Parker, Noodler's, Sailor and Waterman inks in these pens. The best ink depends on whether you want more flow or a tighter flow, or what color you like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Any ink labeled "fountain pen ink" will work fine. You can choose the color and price you like regardless of the brand of your pen. Have a look at the ink reviews and inky goodness subforms for ideas, and learn about "dry" and "wet" inks to narrow down your choices. (I still have difficulty with those attributes.)

By the way, don't be sucked in by Montblanc's luxury branding as a basis for choosing ink, though some of their colors are quite nice.
    Fred said it all really, the only thing I would add is probably only a clarification.
    Not all inks are created equally, some are what I would term "troublesome". Not that it is related to a Montblanc pen, but any pen.
    As Fred said, use the reviews and do some research before buying.
    In general any Montblanc, Pelikan, Waterman, Aurora, Pilot, Sailor, Platinum, "insert big brand pen company here" ink will be just fine.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

When writing with a pen for the first time I try it with a Waterman blue or blue-black ink to see whether it writes wet or dry. Waterman ink is a good base "barometer type" ink to work from in untested pens.

Once I know what sort of flow it has then I'm better able to pick an ink brand that will suit the pen. Like pajaro says, his writes wet so he likes to use known dry inks with it. Pelikan 4001 ink is known to write dry in many pens.

I have some Montblanc inks, so I tend to use them in Montblanc pens. That's primarily because I have ink windows that I don't wish to discolour. However, you don't have an ink window to worry about, so you don't need to feel restricted.

Although I don't have any Meisterstück 144 pens, Montblanc pens aren't as easy to dismantle and clean out thoroughly, as some other brands. Therefore I personally would be slightly more careful about using shimmery, pigmented, permanent and Iron Gall inks made by other manufacturers in there. If you practice good pen maintenance though, that should not be a problem. Some might think you started at the extreme end of the line by filling it with Noodler's Black, but if it works for you then that's fine.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 24th, 2024 at 01:13 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AndyLogan (October 27th, 2023), Cyril (June 13th, 2018), Marsilius (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Cool Re: Best ink for montblanc?

Two inks i always recommend -

Sailor's Doyou (Midsummer's Night); it's a great performing and nice shade of very dark brown/black, and has well documented ability to clean other inks out from inside your pen.

Graf von Faber Castell's Deep Sea Green; is more blue than green, but is good for permanence and amazingly is the easiest ink to clean out i have found.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

I use Sailor Kiwa-Guro in my 146 and 149 and it had never had an issue. Virtually no feathering (even on most cheap paper). I also like Sailor Jentle inks, but they are a bit wetter and feather a touch on cheap paper, but are fine on good paper.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikefromsac For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

In most regions, the minimum age to apply for a standard driver's license is 18. However, this may vary depending on the country or state. https://designjustice.mitpress.mit.e...che=1695915900

Thanks

At €22 or more for a MB shoe and € near or over 30 for a LE, MB inks priced tehmselves out of my range. Edelstein just did too.

Pelikan 4001, or R&K inks, or Herbin. Good affordable dry to medium inks.

Those are not saturated or supersaturated inks. For them some Noodlers or some DA inks.
    Would advise for any ink, look it up on Ink reviews and read all the reviewers. Take the hour to wish or not want an ink....we are living in The Golden Age of Inks, so there are hundreds of inks for every color.

Thanks

I use mostly either a straight Waterman's or Pelikan 4001 selection, however in my F 149 daily I load a mix of Pelikan and Waterman's that lends even this nib some shading but also a very bold line when wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images