Thread: My first pen show experience

Thanks

Default My first pen show experience

So my wife surprised me with a hotel reservation and information about the Little Rock pen show. I have only been collecting for a year now. I have no idea what to expect. Should I bring pens I would like to get repaired? Are repair prices more expensive at a show? Is it rude to bring pens to ask for trades? Are prices usually higher from these dealers than what I could find on the for sale forums? Is it rude to bring 5 or 6 pens to get repaired? Is nib grinding expensive at the shows?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: My first pen show experience

You should definitely take pens for repair or adjustment.
    - Get to the show as soon as it opens to put your name on the list(s).
    - Don't be surprised if you can only have one pen repaired at each sitting, but you might accomplish more than one sitting in a day. In any event take all the pens with you so that you can discuss repairs, and the repairers will take them back to their workshops and ship them to you.
    - Some repairs can only be accomplished in their workshops (e.g., celluloid cracks)
    - Vendors expect trades. It's not rude, but be prepared to sell for wholesale and pay retail, especially when you offer an unrestored pen in exchange for a restored pen.
    - Prices at pen shows are influenced by what's available on the internet, but some vendors won't care because their reputation justifies the price.
    - Nib grinding is best done while you are present, so that you can give immediate feedback as it is being done.
    - Try not to obsess about prices and concentrate on having fun within your budget.

Also, read: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re.../firstshow.htm
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 15th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 2nd, 2018), jmccarty3 (March 21st, 2018), jodylud (February 16th, 2018), Linkinyeah (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Danny Fudge goes to that one, I think, and he'll repair more than one pen, though you may have to go back and collect them. If he can't repair them at the show, he'll take them home to his shop there and fix them and send them to you. (He did that with some of mine.)

When I was at that show, there were three nibgrinders there: Dan Smith, Mark Bacas, and one other person (can't remember who).

I don't know that I have gotten any "deals" on pens there, though you can ask.

Really, the reason to go to a show rather than just hang out on forums is hanging out with other pen people. It's nice to be among people who love the same kinds of stuff you love. Of course, you talk about other things, but to be in a spot with many, many other people who talk pens and paper...heaven for a bit. To me, if you aren't going there to meet pen people, you may as well stay home (that's just me, though).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks

So haggling for prices is expected, or seen as an insult?

What do you mean by name on a list? Does this mean find each person who repairs or does nib grinds and get a time slot to have work done?
    Last edited by Linkinyeah; February 16th, 2018 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks

From my experience at UK pen shows, some traders will haggle, some won't. If you're buying a lot, you might get a good price - I've sometimes grabbed a load of parts pens and got a sweet deal for instance. No one has ever made out they're insulted if I made an offer - I have been accepted, I have been refused, but always in good humour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    So haggling for prices is expected, or seen as an insult?

What do you mean by name on a list? Does this mean find each person who repairs or does nib grinds and get a time slot to have work done?
    Haggling is expected. Most vendors take it in stride.

Not a time slot, but a queue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 16th, 2018)

Thanks

I'm hoping to make the show in Little Rock as well. I've never been to one before, but I've been to ham radio conventions. I expect that there are similarities...

I expect that ebay pricing will be the norm, but I think that being able to examine the pens closely, in person, is a big advantage. I'm planning on doing some shopping

Thanks

Richardspens.com is an excellent site. He has a series of articles on going to your first pen show.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (February 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Richardspens.com is an excellent site. He has a series of articles on going to your first pen show.
    I just read his tips. Thanks for pointing me towards them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Linkinyeah For This Useful Post:

Hawk (February 20th, 2018)

Thanks

When getting nib work done at a pen show, should I empty and clean the pen to be worked on?

Would a Parker 61 nib, and 51 nib need to have the hood off to be smoothed, since they are so close to the nib?

Should I not expect to stand at one nib smoother and have them complete several nibs for me at that time?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Yes, although it's not a big deal. The pen restorer/nibmeister will empty the pen if you don't.

Once the pen is in the pro's hands, care of your pen is his or her responsibility, including removal of the hood if he or she deems it necessary.

As mentioned above, usually you get one pen per sitting, but if things are slow or you are at the end of the queue, you may get more pens serviced at one sitting. As also mentioned above, you can enter your name on multiple lists of the repairmen at the show and move from one repairman to another during the day as your name comes up.
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 24th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Yes, although it's not a big deal. The pen restorer/nibmeister will empty the pen if you don't.

Once the pen is in the pro's hands, care of your pen is his or her responsibility, including removal of the hood if he or she deems it necessary.

As mentioned above, usually you get one pen per sitting, but if things are slow or you are at the end of the queue, you may get more pens serviced at one sitting. As also mentioned above, you can enter your name on multiple lists of the repairmen at the show and move from one repairman to another during the day as your name comes up.
    Thanks, as you mentioned above, some of my questions had been discussed, but I didn't fully understand what to expect.

I have seen videos about using the ink as a lubricant when Smoothing a nib, so I wasn't for sure.

Thanks

I second all of the info shared so far. In addition, here are a few of my thoughts based on also being a relative newbie to the hobby (3 years) and having attended a few pen shows (Philly 3 times and DC once). Definitely take advantage of being around a ton of people who share your passion. I have found the fountain pen community to be incredibly generous and giving with information, advice, and encouragement. I learned more in a day of observing, browsing, asking questions, and listening at my first show than I could have with months of online searching and YouTube watching. There is nothing like seeing pens, nibs, inks, and paper in person, in addition to the benefit of experts sharing their knowledge about them.

Nib grinders will generally charge the same at shows that they do online, though you’ll save on shipping. The real advantages are being able to try the nibs and ensure they perfectly suit you, and to talk with the nib grinders about what they’re doing. It’s fascinating to watch them at their craft, and you can learn a ton about what they see, what they’re doing, and why. I see that Dan Smith and Mark Bacas both attended the 2017 show, and if they’re there this year, you’re in for a treat.

If you like inks, you’ll be in heaven (though your wallet may not be), as you’ll never see so many in one place, including those on your wish list and likely scores you didn’t even know existed. Vanness has a huge variety you can try, and they’re also great folks from whom you can learn a ton.

My overall impressions leaving every show I’ve attended include a sense of happy overwhelm, feeling that my knowledge has been significantly enhanced, gratitude for all the great people in this hobby who keep it going and share their knowledge openly, and a responsibility to “pay it forward”. Enjoy the show!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shrimpkin For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (February 25th, 2018)

Thanks

The best nib grinders use tried and true methods and tools. For example, if a nibmeister has this fine piece of equipment at his table, you know you've found the right craftsman to regrind your nibs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Hawk (February 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Fred, I was looking for someone who has the skill to grind nibs using your equipment. How much do you charge?
    -Pogo

Thanks

Fred, I was looking for someone who has the skill to grind nibs using your equipment. How much do you charge?
    1/2 goat.

Thanks

1/2 goat.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks so much-- I needed a laugh today.

Thanks

1/2 goat.
    I’ve been called an old goat.
    -Pogo

Aleisha

Heeey, the reason to go to a show rather than just hang out on forums is hanging out with other pen people. It's nice to be among people who love the same kinds of stuff you love. Of course, you talk about other things, but to be in a spot with many, many other people who talk pens and paper...heaven for a bit.
    Last edited by Aleisha; March 25th, 2019 at 08:27 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleisha For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (March 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aleisha View Post
    Heeey, the reason to go to a show rather than just hang out on forums is hanging out with other pen people. It's nice to be among people who love the same kinds of stuff you love. Of course, you talk about other this
 things, but to be in a spot with many, many other people who talk pens and paper...heaven for a bit.
    My wife and I live near Chicago and go to the Chicago Pen Show and are fortunate to have an informal monthly pen club also. With pen formans added in to the mix, we are ‘on top of the world’ penwise.
    -Pogo

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (March 21st, 2018)