Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The thinnest nib ever?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: The thinnest nib ever?

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post
    Hi guys, So I've played with the Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen that manoeuver said was too fine for him and a G nib. Still not entirely sure what he meant by g nib but I agree it's not flexible at all. It's really hard to use, I have to press really hard to get any ink out in a continuous line. It's not at all suited to sketching (good job it was only £7). So now I'm really concerned that the platinum 3776 uef will be similar? It was like writing with a sharp needle, I could almost hear the paper screaming. My twsbi isn't so fine but feels well balanced, I don't need to press at all and it will draw a line without skipping or scratching. What I want is the same feeling as that but super thin lines. Please can someone tell me what the platinum UEF nib is like to use? Do you have to press on it to get the ink out?

Many thanks
    Suzy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Suzy, the Jetpens listing is thus: Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen - School G Model Nib - Fine - Black Ink which is why I called it a G.

Properly aligned and tuned, even a UEF nib shouldn't need pressure to write.

Have you checked out the Pilot Penmanship? It's a true Asian EF, and while it's not quite as fine as the Tachikawa, it's a better pen and still really fine. Added bonus: the nib swaps easily into a Metro, Prera, Kakuno, 78G, Plumix, and maybe something else.

Platinum and Pilot have cheap desk pens with EF nibs in 'em also.

There are a few fountain pens out there built to take a G dip nib. I have an Osprey and a Desiderata that use them, they are a little finicky but I enjoy writing with them.

good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Hi guys, So I've played with the Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen that manoeuver said was too fine for him and a G nib. Still not entirely sure what he meant by g nib but I agree it's not flexible at all. It's really hard to use, I have to press really hard to get any ink out in a continuous line. It's not at all suited to sketching (good job it was only £7). So now I'm really concerned that the platinum 3776 uef will be similar? It was like writing with a sharp needle, I could almost hear the paper screaming. My twsbi isn't so fine but feels well balanced, I don't need to press at all and it will draw a line without skipping or scratching. What I want is the same feeling as that but super thin lines. Please can someone tell me what the platinum UEF nib is like to use? Do you have to press on it to get the ink out?

Many thanks
    Suzy

Suzy, the Jetpens listing is thus: Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen - School G Model Nib - Fine - Black Ink which is why I called it a G.

Properly aligned and tuned, even a UEF nib shouldn't need pressure to write.

Have you checked out the Pilot Penmanship? It's a true Asian EF, and while it's not quite as fine as the Tachikawa, it's a better pen and still really fine. Added bonus: the nib swaps easily into a Metro, Prera, Kakuno, 78G, Plumix, and maybe something else.

Platinum and Pilot have cheap desk pens with EF nibs in 'em also.

There are a few fountain pens out there built to take a G dip nib. I have an Osprey and a Desiderata that use them, they are a little finicky but I enjoy writing with them.

good luck!
    Thanks for the explanation

I think if I'm going to try another pen it'll be the platinum 3776 uef from the recommendations above on how thin it is, I don't mind spending the extra but I wouldn't want to buy another pen I didn't like hence why I thought someone who has one could let me know how it handles in the context of my message above.

Thanks

Hi Suzy...... No worries, mine is as thin as a pin head and very smooth. No scratchy, nothing biting into the paper.
    I would suggest for even better usage a wet or even lubricated ink like Noodlers Eel Ink, etc. using a converter there are no worries abt it junking the filling system like some folks worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 17th, 2018)

Thanks

As far as your TWSBI.....why don’t you buy an XF 14k nib and swap out the steel nib? Should you decide let me know and I can give you a good reference.
    I put a 14k Sheaffer fine, springy italic in my 580 and love it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Hi Suzy...... No worries, mine is as thin as a pin head and very smooth. No scratchy, nothing biting into the paper.
    I would suggest for even better usage a wet or even lubricated ink like Noodlers Eel Ink, etc. using a converter there are no worries abt it junking the filling system like some folks worry

That sounds perfect. Thanks. Was hoping to use something waterproof, platinum carbon or de atramentis doc ink?

Thanks

As far as your TWSBI.....why don’t you buy an XF 14k nib and swap out the steel nib? Should you decide let me know and I can give you a good reference.

I do love my twsbi as is, but I was used to a copic 0.05mm and still have to use it when I need thin & waterproof lol. My twsbi already has a EF nib, would 14k be much different?

Thanks

That is why I use a lot of Noodlers Polar and Eel inks— lubricated and bulltproof for any archival type work

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I do love my twsbi as is, but I was used to a copic 0.05mm and still have to use it when I need thin & waterproof lol. My twsbi already has a EF nib, would 14k be much different?

Well.....reason for my shout out for the 14k is you can go to fivestarpens and grab an extra fine to needle in gold for roughly the same price or better than sending your steel nib out for a re-grind, not to mention much faster?
    Nothing wrong with a steel nib grant you.
    I think you can grab some 0.38 inexpensive Pilots for under 25 bux on ebay as well?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks

That is why I use a lot of Noodlers Polar and Eel inks— lubricated and bulltproof for any archival type work

I need to do a water wash over them. I was disappointed that noodlers wasn't actually waterproof. Fine for a bucket of water (which I've seen in a demo) or dropping your book in a puddle but the surface layer comes off as a smudge so it's useless for a small amount of water from a brush

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

I need to do a water wash over them. I was disappointed that noodlers wasn't actually waterproof. Fine for a bucket of water (which I've seen in a demo) or dropping your book in a puddle but the surface layer comes off as a smudge so it's useless for a small amount of water from a brush

I have an artist friend who does a lot of work that combines fine-line fountain pen drawings with watercolor over. He swears by De Atramentis Document Black. I believe his pens of choice are mostly Pilots. Take a look at his work at his site; here's an example:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (March 18th, 2018), suzy01 (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I have an artist friend who does a lot of work that combines fine-line fountain pen drawings with watercolor over. He swears by De Atramentis Document Black. I believe his pens of choice are mostly Pilots. Take a look at his work at his site; here's an example:

That looks amazing I have a bottle in the cupboard ready to try in my twsbi

Thanks

I respect your opinion, however have to disagree............I have spilled coffee, tea, had my papers rained on, left on dash of my truck in the sun and the stuff just works? I am sure there are better inks for what you need, but an over filled bottle that is as tough for $12.50 I have no complaints. Of course I must assume the vast contrast in writing and drawing. Will need to check out the other inks recommended

Thanks

I respect your opinion, however have to disagree............I have spilled coffee, tea, had my papers rained on, left on dash of my truck in the sun and the stuff just works? I am sure there are better inks for what you need, but an over filled bottle that is as tough for $12.50 I have no complaints. Of course I must assume the vast contrast in writing and drawing. Will need to check out the other inks recommended
    Yes, I agree, for lots of liquid it great. I've seen demos where they chuck water at ink and see the results. Even with bleach it's awesome. But for a tiny drop of water on a paintbrush you see a smear. It's the bit of ink that didn't bond with the paper. See the middle column on this test page...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...Take a look....[/IMG]
    I think I've been there. It was in the late '60s.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Yes, I agree, for lots of liquid it great. I've seen demos where they chuck water at ink and see the results. Even with bleach it's awesome. But for a tiny drop of water on a paintbrush you see a smear. It's the bit of ink that didn't bond with the paper. See the middle column on this test page...

great experiment and thanks for sharing.........

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I've ordered the £7 Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen to give that a try first but it looks like I'll end up with the platinum 3776 uef. Pity they don't do ones with the pretty cranes on the side like some of the other platinum pens I saw on the cult pens site. Could turn out to be an expensive hobby

Thanks for all the replies everyone
    You could always buy one and get a nibmeister to grind a thinner nib for you.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Platinum Carbon Pen and Ink. I love it, super-fine and the carbon ink takes a wash without any hint of having noticed the water.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to milkb0at For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

...Could turn out to be an expensive hobby.
    You may think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...Could turn out to be an expensive hobby.
    You may think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
    Me either......no comment on that topic

30. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I've ordered the £7 Tachikawa Comic Nib Fountain Pen to give that a try first but it looks like I'll end up with the platinum 3776 uef. Pity they don't do ones with the pretty cranes on the side like some of the other platinum pens I saw on the cult pens site. Could turn out to be an expensive hobby

Thanks for all the replies everyone
    You could always buy one and get a nibmeister to grind a thinner nib for you.
    I'm now giving serious consideration to a custom nib. Anyone know a good nib grinder?