Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The thinnest nib ever?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Default Re: The thinnest nib ever?

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post
    I'm now giving serious consideration to a custom nib. Anyone know a good nib grinder?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I'm certain many people here know many nibmeisters. Before offering up names, I would just urge you to sit down and be able to write in one concise paragraph *exactlly* what you want the nib to be like. It makes no sense looking for the nib guys before you really have a handle on what you want the nib to do for you. The more specific your instructions, the higher chance you'll get back what you want.

Circling back to some of your first posts, and relating to your use of fineliners: I am wondering if what you are looking for is even possible with a fountain pen nib. *On paper*, how wide do you want the line to be? FP ink is more 'liquid' than gels/fineliners and similar, so even the finest needlepoint will lay down a line of wet ink.

Musings...

Actually:

- John Mottishaw
    - Lynda Kennedy
    - Dan Smith
    - Marc Bacas (sp?)

and the king of tiny-tip nibs, Mike Masuyama.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 21st, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm now giving serious consideration to a custom nib. Anyone know a good nib grinder?

I'm certain many people here know many nibmeisters. Before offering up names, I would just urge you to sit down and be able to write in one concise paragraph *exactlly* what you want the nib to be like. It makes no sense looking for the nib guys before you really have a handle on what you want the nib to do for you. The more specific your instructions, the higher chance you'll get back what you want.

Circling back to some of your first posts, and relating to your use of fineliners: I am wondering if what you are looking for is even possible with a fountain pen nib. *On paper*, how wide do you want the line to be? FP ink is more 'liquid' than gels/fineliners and similar, so even the finest needlepoint will lay down a line of wet ink.

Musings...

Actually:

- John Mottishaw
    - Lynda Kennedy
    - Dan Smith
    - Marc Bacas (sp?)

and the king of tiny-tip nibs, Mike Masuyama.
    Hmmm that's a good question. I know what I want but I'm not 100% sure the terminology to ask for it, maybe you guys can help with that? I want a pen that feels like my twsbi vac700 ef to write with but is ridiculously fine. smooth and easy without the paper screaming.
    I wanted to buy the platinum 3776 ultra extra fine (I really like the idea of the slip & seal lid so I can let the ink sit occasionally) but then I've been warned that it's really scratchy and difficult to use, and more worrying often needs adjustment out of the box, because I cannot try before I buy in an actual shop it's kind of a risk. I also read that nib meister can make your dream nib so going custom seems like the best way to get what I wanted. I want a pen that draws a fine line without pressure or skipping or shaking the pen to get it going. I looked at the blog if the recommended artist above and for his really fine work he uses a custom nib from Spain which is a 0.1mm,xxxf. I'd rather go locally in the UK if possible. Have I missed anything or got anything wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Hmmm that's a good question. I know what I want but I'm not 100% sure the terminology to ask for it, maybe you guys can help with that? I want a pen that feels like my twsbi vac700 ef to write with but is ridiculously fine. smooth and easy without the paper screaming.
    I wanted to buy the platinum 3776 ultra extra fine (I really like the idea of the slip & seal lid so I can let the ink sit occasionally) but then I've been warned that it's really scratchy and difficult to use, and more worrying often needs adjustment out of the box, because I cannot try before I buy in an actual shop it's kind of a risk. I also read that nib meister can make your dream nib so going custom seems like the best way to get what I wanted. I want a pen that draws a fine line without pressure or skipping or shaking the pen to get it going. I looked at the blog if the recommended artist above and for his really fine work he uses a custom nib from Spain which is a 0.1mm,xxxf. I'd rather go locally in the UK if possible. Have I missed anything or got anything wrong?

No, you've done very well indeed. If you PM me I can put you in touch with Sam, the artist. I am glad you amplified your comments, *especially* since I don't have recommendations in the UK. There *are* members here who are located over there, so maybe they can chime in or I can poke them. But one last thing:

You are asking for a nearly impossible thing: the absolutely tiniest point to go across paper without a whisper of hesitation and lay down a perfect line of ink. For fountain pens, unless you are talking hard, glossy paper (like Rhodia), you are asking a lot. A lot a lot. Picture pushing the point of a needle and expecting it to not get caught on or in the paper. You will need a very good nib person indeed. TBH, it might make sense to start with the 3776 UEF and have someone narrow that down if it isn't fine enough. The 3776 line are all great pens and nibs, certainly one of the better options to start with. This isn't going to be easy, so much of it will be in finding the right person. If I were you and you can afford it, I'd get one of those pens and see how close it is right out of the box. Lastly, anything this very specific is always going to be a bit of a "risk", though it is mitigated by the fact that the Platinum pens are popular and you would likely be able to resell it if you didn't enjoy it.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and pop back in if I find any resources for you.

P.S. Have you seen this page on tipping sizes?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/fo...-pen-nibs.html
    http://www.mikeitwork.com/NibRepair.html

I suggest you speak by telephone with Scott at Franklin-Christoph and perhaps also with Mike Masuyama on the telephone and discuss your wants. With their input, you will more quickly arrive at a decision and order. Mike does specialty work for Franklin-Christoph, and you could buy a pen and nib(s) with his advice, and he would prepare them to meet your requirements. I believe such orders get priority, too. F-C pens use nib/feed units that easily screw out and swap (just like Pelikan, Aurora Optima, Edison or Esterbrook), so you can easily send off nibs to Mike for adjustment.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 21st, 2018 at 06:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 659 Posts

Also with FC, if you're dissatisfied, they'll take it back and refund your money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

suzy01,

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but have you considered a Pilot PO (posting) nib? Very fine lines, very smooth on the paper. At least that is what people say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    suzy01,

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but have you considered a Pilot PO (posting) nib? Very fine lines, very smooth on the paper. At least that is what people say.
    No, I don't think anyone mentioned it because according to the link above on tipping sizes it would be a fatter line that that platinum uef. Seems like Japanese brands come up thinnest as standard which I guess makes sense when you see their alphabet

Thanks

Why not try the Platinum carbon pen? I've just tried mine vs a Staedlter Pigment Liner 0.05. The Platinum is very similar (maybe a tiny bit thicker, but it also depends on how light your touch is) than the Staedtler, but thinner when using the back of the nib. Carbon ink is great, too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to milkb0at For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (March 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

20180323_121640.jpg

A quick and dirty photo that took much more time than "quick" to upload. Maybe fpgeeks resized it? (Cos after the fact, I sent it to myself, which has the resize option, and was about to re-upload.... I don't know what's happening. Good luck to myself!)

I recommend the Pilot PO nib. But trying the Platinum Desk Pen EF option (that someone else mentioned) is much less expensive.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 21st, 2018), suzy01 (March 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    20180323_121640.jpg

A quick and dirty photo that took much more time than "quick" to upload. Maybe fpgeeks resized it? (Cos after the fact, I sent it to myself, which has the resize option, and was about to re-upload.... I don't know what's happening. Good luck to myself!)

I recommend the Pilot PO nib. But trying the Platinum Desk Pen EF option (that someone else mentioned) is much less expensive.
    Wow they look very similar, maybe the po nib wasn't what was on the chart for pilot, I've not really even heard of it before. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

You're welcome. The PO is my favorite favorite nib. I wish I could put it in a Nakaya Piccolo. (The Platinum UEF nib there is in a Nakaya Piccolo - *preen*, *laughs*.)

I had a Platinum Desk Pen a few years ago, and I loved it. IIRC the nib was super smooth with no feedback. I don't remember what happened to it. I might be blocking a memory of damaging a fabulous nib. Or maybe it was the similar Sailor model (not sure of the model name). Smooth EF loveliness.

Thanks

A quick update on this one, I saw that they did twsbi pen units on fpnibs.Com so I ordered a xxxf custom one to try on my existing pen. I only used it for a few mins earlier but it looks great so far!