Thread: Pen ideas for a milestone pen

Thanks

Default Pen ideas for a milestone pen

First, I'm sorry - I have mixed feelings about these types of posts, yet I find myself writing one. I am fully aware that no one but me can decide which pen is best for me. I also know that it's best to try them in person, but have recently moved from the land of the world's largest pen show to the land of no pen shows.

That being said, I am looking for suggestions for a milestone pen, within a budget of around $700. I'm looking for something that will be a joy to write with, high on comfort, perhaps with a nice, big springy nib. (No need for true flex.) I am flexible on filling systems. I would prefer classy over flashy. Some of my favorites I own at the moment include the Sailor Pro Gear, Pilot CH912, Bexley Corona, and a variety of Parker Vacumatics.

So far I have considered the Aurora Optima, though my wife (correctly) pointed out that something Japanese would better fit my character. At that suggestion, I started looking at the Nakaya Neo Standard and the Platinum Izumo Urushi. (I find the aka-tamenuri color very appealing, for multiple reasons.) I like several other Nakayas, but have concern over the seemingly large step from the body to the section. The Neo Standard seems to mostly avoid that.

What haven't I considered that's worth a look?

Thanks

Default Re: Pen ideas for a milestone pen

Dont discount an Aurora, they are wonderful pens.

Thanks

Since you already have a Sailor, what about a KOP, maybe with one of their specialty nibs?
    I have one with their standard Broad and it is decently comfortable to write with. It's lighter than my typical preferences, but when I want something different, I go for that.

Another one to look at are the higher end Viscontis. I have a Voyager (discontinued) that is very comfortable to write with and the B 18k gold nib on it is perfect for a signature pen for me. It's one of the few I own that won't skip when I sign. The Husband has a Homo Sapiens and a London Fog that he likes, both in EF (though it writes more like a Sailor M-F to me). I am not a fan of their Dream Touch nibs, but most other people seem to love them. So it's definitely a preference thing.

If you don't have a deadline and are willing to search, the Omas Extra Flessible nibs are fun, though even when trying not to flex it does and my Extra Fine usually ends up as a medium. I've discovered that I'm not a huge fan of flexible nibs, but I definitely make an exception for this one.

The Husband has a Nakaya, though I'm not sure about which one. He is very happy with his. However, aside from the pretty aspect, I'm not a fan. It is basically a really fancy Platinum, and their nibs don't do it for me. Though you do have the ability to get the Nakaya nibs with the "elastic" modification that will make them more flexible. Again, it's a preference thing.

Thanks

I would suggest a Sailor KOP too, but consider a standard nib along with the specialities too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

With that kind of budget you can get a good copy of Waterman #7 which has a big nib with varying flex-ability.

I'm thinking about something like this (photo credit from an ebay item, not mine):
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Hawk (February 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

If you like the Sailor Pro Gear, I think you may find the Homo Sapien Dream Touch nibs too smooth. They are wonderful pens, but they are a VERY different experience from what you have expressed as your current favorites.

Besides the pens mentioned, have you considered a Pilot 845? I think there is a urushi version as well.

What a wonderful problem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Don’t forget about Pelikan. Piston fill pens hold a lot of ink.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

I am thinking about Manu Propria ... many of them out of your price range, but Martin occasionally has a sale of prototypes and older models, just about your specified budget level. Lovely urushi, and I remember some of the models are quite smooth in profile, without the step between barrel and section that you find in the Nakayas.

+1 for Pelikans. The special edition m800s could be good to look at.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggercat View Post
    ...I am looking for suggestions for a milestone pen, within a budget of around $700. I'm looking for something that will be a joy to write with, high on comfort, perhaps with a nice, big springy nib. (No need for true flex.) I am flexible on filling systems. I would prefer classy over flashy....
    So far I have considered the Aurora Optima, though my wife (correctly) pointed out that something Japanese would better fit my character....
    Is it to be a "Milestone" for you, or for each of us?

Since you have already been to pen shows where you used to live and have collected a few vintage and modern pens, you have sufficient knowledge to narrow your choice to a select few pens. Stick with your original consideration because it is a perfectly good choice with easy nib unit changes, and if you are willing, you can buy a used one for half your budget.

Picking something because it was made somewhere and thus fits your character sounds more like a fashion accessory choice.

Yes, there are many other pens that fit your parameters, but like the hundreds of other "best pen" and "which to buy" threads, a list of other's favorite pens will not help you very much.

Stick with your instincts.
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 23rd, 2018 at 06:30 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 25th, 2018), Freddie (February 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

Pilot 823 or a Visconti?

Figboot has a top 10 list from last year that has a lot of nice pens in that range. Might be worth checking out his video.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggercat View Post
    ...worth a look?
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post232974

Thanks

Perhaps consider, as already suggested, a Pilot 845 or may be an Ohasido or a Danitrio? Or maybe a Stylo Art or a Taccia..
    Last edited by da vinci; February 24th, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

A Pelikan M1000 Souveran has a BIG nib with a reported springy feel to it. The "other" site has a new one for sale in their classified section. In any case good luck on the hunt, and let us know what you finally decide on.