Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mystery Ink #15

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #15

My preferred notebooks are Clairefontaine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Leuchtturm paper is for me no measurement.
    I tried a Leuchtturm Master A4 Hardcover Notebook a couple of years ago, and was not able to use it because of the horrible paper quality.
    It had some of the worst paper quality for FP usage I’ve ever saw (bleed through, feathering, show through), felt even worth than early environmental saving paper of the 80s.
    Incredible that they even advertised it as FP friendly paper.
    Since this experience Leuchtturm is dead for me as a brand.
    Same for me. I bought one small Leuchtturm notebook (pocket size), just to try the paper. I can use one side. Too much show-through. It is still better than Zequenz in my experience.

I find it interesting that Rhodia uses Clairefontaine paper, but I get better writing performance with Rhodia pads than I do with Clairefontaine pads. I just bought a new Clairefontaine A5 notebook and my pens are having hard-start and skipping issues that I can only put down to the coating on the paper. It is every pen and all of those pens write just fine in every other notebook on my desk (cheap legal pad, copy paper, Black n' Red, Rhodia, and Apica). I'm quite disappointed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Same for me. I bought one small Leuchtturm notebook (pocket size), just to try the paper. I can use one side. Too much show-through. It is still better than Zequenz in my experience.

I find it interesting that Rhodia uses Clairefontaine paper, but I get better writing performance with Rhodia pads than I do with Clairefontaine pads. I just bought a new Clairefontaine A5 notebook and my pens are having hard-start and skipping issues that I can only put down to the coating on the paper. It is every pen and all of those pens write just fine in every other notebook on my desk (cheap legal pad, copy paper, Black n' Red, Rhodia, and Apica). I'm quite disappointed.
    The Clairefontaine is very smooth, I also face the problems you mentioned with some nibs (or maybe nib-ink combinations), but these are not the majority.
    My explanation would be that this is caused by small nib grind imperfections, which do not show up on other (not so smooth) paper.

Thanks

The Clairefontaine is very smooth, I also face the problems you mentioned with some nibs (or maybe nib-ink combinations), but these are not the majority.
    My explanation would be that this is caused by small nib grind imperfections, which do not show up on other (not so smooth) paper.
    Interesting. I will continue to test more pens and inks as I rotate through my pens. Thus far my issues have been a Visconti EF with Parker Quink Blue-Black, a second Visconti EF with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, and a Pilot VP M with Diamine Blue Velvet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Interesting. I will continue to test more pens and inks as I rotate through my pens. Thus far my issues have been a Visconti EF with Parker Quink Blue-Black, a second Visconti EF with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, and a Pilot VP M with Diamine Blue Velvet.
    One of my pens come immediately into my mind which do not perform properly on Clairefontaine, itˋs a 50s Monblanc 144 BB which perform really well on other paper but do not start properly on Clairefontaine in many cases.
    I can’t proof it, but maybe it’s a hint of of a baby bottom, which does not show up on not so smooth paper as the paper fibers there still get in contact with the ink to start the ink flow.