Thread: I never clean

Thanks

Default I never clean

Ive been using fountain pens for 40 years and never clean my pens. I have only used Sheaffer blue or Waterman blue so maybe thats the reason. I write quite a bit and never have had any problem. Anyway visiting this site has made me question my procedure. I really dont think I need to be that geeky.

Thanks

Default Re: I never clean

If you use the same ink all the time, cleaning a pen frequently is overkill. Periodically isn't bad. Of course, the more you use your pen(s), the less frequently it would be required. If I had one or two pens, only used one or two inks, I might not do it frequently either. I keep about 10 inked. I try not to duplicate any of the inks (brand/color). I have over 30 pens. I am going to either let a lot of pens sit, or not use all my inks or be flushing periodically.....
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

OK, thank you. You obviously are an expert. I only use one pen. I have 3 others that I dont use cause I like this one so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

You are, sir, in the most positive meaning of the term, an anomaly. One pen and one ink can certainly go for years without any maintenance. However, this is certainly the exception to most modern pen users behavior, even if it comes closer to the way people used pens in the early part of the last century.

You would NOT believe how popular it is, especially for younger pen users, to amass giant collections of many colors of ink and swap them regularly in their pens. This, among other reasons, is why pen cleaning hygiene gets discussed so often these days.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 5th, 2018), fountainpenkid (March 4th, 2018), Hawk (March 6th, 2018), testrider (March 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You are, sir, in the most positive meaning of the term, an anomaly. One pen and one ink can certainly go for years without any maintenance...
    How can I do better than that answer!

***** - A truly wonderful and inspiring insight into the pen world, a definite must read! - Sam O, FPGeeks forum.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Can we ask which pens you use?
    I’m an old timer and rotate my pens and ink.
    My sacced pens sometimes take a beating depending on the ink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

I'm a bit new, so I have a tendency to baby my pens lest one of them dies on me. The backup pens usually gets cleaned when not being used, but I haven't planned to clean my daily writer. I work in marketing, so A LOT of notes get written in nonstop meetings
    Last edited by archaturism; March 5th, 2018 at 02:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to archaturism For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (March 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Ive been using fountain pens for 40 years and never clean my pens. I have only used Sheaffer blue or Waterman blue so maybe thats the reason. I write quite a bit and never have had any problem. Anyway visiting this site has made me question my procedure. I really dont think I need to be that geeky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks for asking,
    Im no nerd but I just enjoy using my pen to write. Its a custom made pen so no brand but I think the nib is a fine Jowo two tone steel. It is smooth, always starts, never skips except when the cart is almost empty. thats my early warning system to fill or change. I am so happy with the pen that I never use my other pens. In fact Ive been staring at them since I got my custom so have decided Im going to sell a couple, maybe 3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    no problems for 40 years? now is not the time to change anything. You're doing something right, disregard the 32-year-olds.