Thread: Omas Milord 1991 x Montblanc Antoine d. S. Exupery

Thanks

Default Omas Milord 1991 x Montblanc Antoine d. S. Exupery

My fellow Fountain Pen lovers, or at least users!

I need some help on making a tough decision!

I've mustered money for one big pen, and there are two my eye insists on looking all the time...

Omas Extra Milord 1991, M Nib, Saft green, mint in box on the right corner, for pick up in Firenze.

But on the left corner is the Montblanc Antoine d. S. Exupery BB nib, for pick up in NYC.

Prices are similar so it is not a factor on my decision and just by chance I'll visit both cities within the next couple months.

I'm having a hard time making a choice so I decided to ask for some input and help, all advices and ideas are welcome and will be most appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Omas Milord 1991 x Montblanc Antoine d. S. Exupery

First off, I'm not going to talk about the pen styling because that's a personal preference, so my opinion shouldn't weigh much in this dilemma.

Now, onto the breakdown...

If you want to disassemble the nib and feed unit to give them a through cleaning, the Omas will be the easier of the two, though most likely the only one. From what I can tell, you need a specialized tool to disassemble the nib/feed from the pen.

Also going to Omas is the cleaning. If the naming holds true, it should be a cartridge/converter pen. The MB looks like it is a piston fill.

Ink capacity will go to Montblanc because piston fills will always hold more ink than a cartridge/converter pen.

Warranty will go to Montblanc as it still in existence. Omas permanently closed down shop two years ago.

Rarity will probably go to Omas because of their Out of Business status.

Recognition is a Tie. Most people will recognize the white star of Montblanc, but most FP people will also recognize the iconic faceted body of the Omas.

Now for the two options themselves: You need to ask yourself which nib width do you prefer.

The M in the Omas is a middle of the road width. Good for most day to day writing as long as you don't have a tiny and/or cramped writing style. It might seem a bit thin if you have a big handwriting style.

The BB in the Montblanc will give you a better chance of getting shading, and since it will be putting down more ink, also sheen if the ink has any. This is, however, really bad for those of us with tiny and/or cramped writing styles. The BB lends itself to those who are comfortable writing big, bold, John Hancock-type writing personality.
    Also, since Montblanc is still in existence, you may be able to swap out nibs with a different width if you so choose, but like everything in life, it will cost $$ and time if you don't have to tools or comfort to do it yourself.

You might want to start a pro-con list for the pens to help you decide.
    I'm sure others will have a differing opinion/observation than what I've put down and forums posts aren't exactly good for organizing pros and cons.

Good luck and enjoy whichever pen you decide on!!!!
    Last edited by naimitsu; March 5th, 2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typing faster than I can think = typos :-/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Francisco_S (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Omas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would say mont blanc for the warranty, but either would be wonderful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For me it's an easy choice, I could make that decision in less than a heartbeat... But I'm not you!... or am I?... No... no I'm not!

The choice is yours, and Naimitsu put together a great response that I can't get close to.

However, I would add a few additional points... Because it would be rude not to...

The Omas has a very classy, classic look to it, whereas the Montblanc is bit of a screamer. It depends what you want from a pen, subtle or look at me.
    (I like both depending on how I feel when I wake up in a morning!)

The Montblanc, blue or metal version? If it's the metal version, some people don't like metal sections, if you're not sure, I'd try one first to see if you can live with it.

Let us know which way to go, I promise we won't judge... I might a little bit, but only in my head and I promise not to post about it

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Francisco_S (March 6th, 2018), naimitsu (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

The Omas, although I'm surprised it's a milord. Most of the saft greens were Ogivas or Paragons. Also, it's more likely a piston filler than a cartridge/converter; but I would verify that with the seller. The milord vs paragon difference is in size, with the milord being smaller than the paragon. They are 12 sided, where the ogiva is round.
    Last edited by dneal; March 6th, 2018 at 06:47 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Naimitsu

Thanks for your answer!!

I must say the Omas idea is more interesting for now, I just need to check on the filling system used!

I find it way cooler that the Omas is really awesome and only those who know a little bit will recognize it instead of showing off I have a MB.

Thanks again!

Francisco

Thanks

Thank you Sir!

Thanks

Hi RocketRyan!

Thanks for the input!

I like the idea of the warranty, indeed, and if the Omas is c/c than it is enough info to close the deal. If it is a Piston Filler I'll need to meditate on it or get more money! =D

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Dneal

Actually the filling system is now a major information, I think it is of paramount importance! I'll get in touch with the seller and let you guys know!

The picture has a few pens, but the saft green... wow, it just shines brighter than all other pens... I loved it!!!!

I'll let you know on my decision!

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Sam!

Thank for your input!

I was looking at the blue Montablanc, not the metal one, so no problems with the section!

On the other hand, I am 95% of the time a guy who is not concerned on getting attention, just on being classy and carefull with details, so I think the Omas is more on my profile... Quite interesting your consideration, thank you!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Francisco_S For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Montblanc...because...IT’S A MONTBLANC & bonus it’s a writers edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk