Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU pick your daily pen?

Thanks

Default How do YOU pick your daily pen?

Okay, so you have an overflowing pen drawer with everything from flex nib to rhodium to steel and gold, large pens, small pens, expensive pens, budget pens, vacuum, piston,eyedroppers to cartridges...
    But which one do you choose for your daily adventures and how do you decide?

I personally also collect pocket knives, and usually select a knife to carry daily, although I’ve been hung up on the knife my girlfriend at the time(now my wife) had given me on our first Valentine’s Day as my daily carry, but occasionally I’ll switch off...

What is your thought process in choosing a pen every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Default Re: How do YOU pick your daily pen?

With me it depends on what I am going to write usually, however bc I write a lot I usually rotate 2-3 pens in it anyway?
    Headings, titles a more wider, cursive, stub
    Content usually a medium cursive, notes, something thinner like a fine (cursive, stub- fine) and details, etc. a extra fine or needle point.

Something quick I just jump to any old factory medium or fine, however since I have a lot of custom nibs including vintage-modern music I am all over the place.
    Probably is not exactly answering your question......., but I have way too many pens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

I have 4-5 pens inked, normally. Out of those, one (either a Lamy CP-1 or a Parker 45) is my EDC with Iron Gall ink. Those pens were chosen because they handle IG and the associated maintenance well, are small, light, easy to carry to work, and fly under the radar.

The others are for wasting ink at home for pleasure. They get rotated in when I haven't used them for a while and they start feeling lonely and neglected.

Thanks

I carry anywhere between 6 and 12 pens at any given time. Almost all of them will have a different color (the only duplicates are any inks I've decided to use for a week or so for a review). Which pen I pull depends on the color(s) I want to use at any given sitting.

I'll usually pull two dissimilar inks for short meetings.
    I'll usually pull 3-5 dissimilar inks for long meetings.
    I'll color code my to-do list by urgency and program.

The only 2 that never fall out of rotation are 2 blues: Bungbox 4B and Bungbox Aofuji

Thanks

My daily pen choice is based on how rugged the pen is and how it fits my shirt pockets. So, for many years, my daily carry has been an Esterbrook SJ with a toothy 9450 nib.

If I am going to start a major writing project, however, I will choose a pen (and ink) for it. I look at my hoard and think about the project and a pen just suggests itself. It stays in harness until the project is complete.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (March 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yesterdays pen was empty so I decided to clean it and put it away. Then another caught my eye so I filled it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (April 12th, 2018), Scrawler (March 15th, 2018)

Thanks

My decision is purely based of feeling. Depending how I feel when I wake up depends on which pen I will grab.

My Parker Doufold Centennial and my M805 has seen some use at work recently.
    One morning I woke up feeling particularly good so I grabbed my Pilot Custom Urushi.

This morning I grabbed a petite Pelikan M481, because it was new... and I like new

I have no rhyme or reason to my daily choice, but nothing is worse than thinking "today, this will be my pen" and finding out it has run out of ink / hasn't been inked... I find a second choice much harder 🤣

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    nothing is worse than thinking "today, this will be my pen" and finding out it has run out of ink / hasn't been inked...
    In the positive column, those are pens you have not left inked and forgotten

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (March 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    nothing is worse than thinking "today, this will be my pen" and finding out it has run out of ink / hasn't been inked...
    In the positive column, those are pens you have not left inked and forgotten
    yup, I like this way of thinking

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

I usually pick a pen that is a carefree writer with a bulletproof to me meaning reliable flow inkl that dries and will not smear once dry time of 30-60 seconds. Then whatever tickles my fancy for a pen in case I am bored. Demonstrators with ink that sloshes that I can look at typiocally is in my short list and if a third pen its likely got to have red or orange or green ink as my highlighted notes or in case I want an action list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

I work with my hands, but essentially light work. For work I rotate four pair of inexpensive pens, a vintage and a modern pair. I have a backup if I run out of ink. At home and when I go out somewhere, I carry whatever trips my trigger, modern or vintage. They are nicer, more expensive pens.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

I usually carry 2 pens. The first with a fine nib and a blue or blue-black ink that will write on whatever crappy paper I might encounter. The second with a medium or broad nib with the color I'm using this week: purple, green or brown.

Today I'm using a Parker 51 with Pilot blue and a Lamy 2000 with Pelikan Smoky Quartz.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie25 View Post
    Okay, so you have an overflowing pen drawer with everything from flex nib to rhodium to steel and gold, large pens, small pens, expensive pens, budget pens, vacuum, piston,eyedroppers to cartridges...
    But which one do you choose for your daily adventures and how do you decide?

I personally also collect pocket knives, and usually select a knife to carry daily, although I’ve been hung up on the knife my girlfriend at the time(now my wife) had given me on our first Valentine’s Day as my daily carry, but occasionally I’ll switch off...

What is your thought process in choosing a pen every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What, only one?

I don't let pens leave the house. Well, excepting the few I have in a glass that are easy to load and carry, tough, and cost under $30. Usually way under. Like a Sheaffer school pen, a Nemosine Singularity, a Chinese pen or two.

Have anywhere from 5-10 pens filled at a time, more now because: a) I NEEDED an orange ink; and b) Mystery Ink # 15.

So usually I just grab whatever color I feel like writing with.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 6,434 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    ...Have anywhere from 5-10 pens filled at a time....
    Same here, with different nibs and different colors (usually shades of blue, shades of brown/sepia and a couple blacks). So I just pluck a pen from my 15-pen rack.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Pure whim.

I have 5-6 inked at once and it's usually some sudden wish for a particular ink that evokes the pen to use and it just clicks. The Corn Poppy in the Gama demonstrator, the Olivine in the Caver' s Rainforest Bamboo, the Kurebairo in the matte black Safari.

Like that.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Any of my pens that are inked are liable to be used at home during the day. If it's a matter of only bringing one or two with me while I'm out and about, just anything that's a good shirt pocket size and has a "practical" ink, that is, water resistant and not too flamboyant a color. But I might bring them all with me if I'm carrying my laptop case, which has room for a pen roll. I almost never have more than six inked at once, right now it's five.

I have more good pens, pens that I like using, than are practical to keep inked simultaneously. So when a pen runs dry, I may clean it out, put it away, and rotate in something else. There's no system, just a memory that I haven't used this or that for a while, and some combination of the way it writes and the way it looks.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Have really enjoyed the input and the various desires folks have for choosing their daily pens...........very eclectic and interesting. Learned a few things, so thinks from an 'ol timer

Last edited by wingwiper; March 10th, 2018 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks

It's a dark blue Parker 51 or a red Montblanc 144, purely on whim. The other pens are a collection.

Thanks

I typically have about 10 pens inked at any given time. I will have one or two that go in the shirt pocket, the others a pen roll. And yes, sometimes all of them will go to work with me. Rarely do I have the same ink in more than one pen though.

Right now:
    Pelikan M150 F/Lamy Coral
    Parker 51 Demi Vac F/EF//Diamine Blue Black
    Pelikan 140 F/Pelikan 4001 Blue Black
    Pelikan M200 Cognac F/Lamy Pacific
    Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled M/Diamine Merlot
    Pelikan M200 Blue Marbled (old style) OB/Diamine Sherwood Green
    Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne B/Lamy Petrol
    TWSBI 580 B stub/Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot
    Lamy Al Star 1.1/Sheaffer Skrip Emerald Green (vintage)
    Jinhao 599 M stub/Blackstone Green Cashmere
    True Writer Silver Anniversary F/KWZI 150 Confederation Brown

This morning I grabbed the M150 and the P51. Why? Not sure. I did finger one or two of the M200's though, before grabbing the M150.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I have 7-9 pens inked up at a time. I don't go out that much, and I usually leave my precious pens at home when I do. If I do take one for the road, it will be a cheap pen that I can afford to lose or break. Usually that will mean a Kaweco Sport. I can easily replace that one. I do have that nib writing beautifully, so I would hate to drop it, or lose it. Sometimes I take my pens out to my friends house, and I always put those pens in a pen case before I get in my vehicle. I then store them in the side pocket of my purse.

As far as picking pens to write with at home, I just use the ones that call out to me. I write with all of them usually everyday. Some get more use than others. I pick the pen for the job. For quick notes, I usually use a pen with a snap cap. Now and then I change the pen rotation up. I don't go by any particular order as to which ones I pull, and which ones I replace it with. More than 10 pens inked up is just too much of a chore though, for me. I am at 8 pens at the moment.