Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilot Metropolitan- Who's using one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Metropolitan- Who's using one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Johnson (Kate) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Check in if you've got one.

I've got the black plain banded one retrofitted with a plumix nib. I carry it daily and recommend it to people who show an interest in FPs.

I actually dig the small capacity of the converter, I get to try a lot of different inks in it that way. Been using Zhivago in it for quite a while now though.

It really is the silliest value pen I've come across.
    I have one too--it's very smooth-writing, which is nice, but I wish the nib were a HAIR finer. I hear the Cocoon is basically the same pen with a finer nib--have you tried it?
    I've not tried the cocoon. I haven't even heard of it.

I did swap the M in my newest metro for the xf from a pilot penmanship from Jetpens and it's really nice.

edit: just looked at the cocoon; it seems to me indistinguishable from a metro. except it's $45. some different colors and a F nib.
    Last edited by manoeuver; May 13th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,753 Posts

With Pilot 78gs going for, oh, ten bucks, and having F nibs available, I wonder if you can switch THOSE into a Met.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    With Pilot 78gs going for, oh, ten bucks, and having F nibs available, I wonder if you can switch THOSE into a Met.
    unless my memory is manufacturing it, somebody somewhere said the entire 78G section can be installed (ie screwed into) in the metro body.

Thanks

Bummer. They went up in price. I mean, only a few dollars but it was exciting that they were only $15USD or so hehe

Thanks

I have the MR version (I'm assuming it's the same) that I purchased via Stationery Art, in black. It's a nice pen over all, I like many others switched in the Plumix nib. It's nicely weighted for me and it gets a fair bit of use at work. I still prefer my 78G though... I can't quite put my finger on what it is that prevents me from loving it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CapeClear View Post
    I have the MR version (I'm assuming it's the same) that I purchased via Stationery Art, in black. It's a nice pen over all, I like many others switched in the Plumix nib. It's nicely weighted for me and it gets a fair bit of use at work. I still prefer my 78G though... I can't quite put my finger on what it is that prevents me from loving it.
    The MR is the same pen, but takes international standard (ISO/DIN) cartridges instead of the Pilot proprietary ones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seffrican For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (May 14th, 2013)

Thanks

I got a Cocoon which is essentially the same pen but it comes in more colours - great pen!!

Thanks

Jar - You've got a Nash?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alc3261 View Post
    Jar - You've got a Nash?
    Not any more but that's true of many kinds of cars.

jor412

unless my memory is manufacturing it, somebody somewhere said the entire 78G section can be installed (ie screwed into) in the metro body.
    That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished.
    Last edited by jor412; May 17th, 2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished and has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan and some design etched on it.
    Jor, just to be crystal clear, are you confirming that one can take the entire section from a 78G and thread it into the body of a Metropolitan (in your experience)?

Thanks

I got a silver zig-zag when they first came out and liked it so much that I got a black dot one too. I much prefer it over my Prera and 78Gs, because of the size and the finish. Both are in medium because that was the nib size then. Maybe I'll try swapping nibs with the 78Gs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    That may have been me. I have both and I compared the 78G & Met. Same section shape, size, & threading. I tested it when I got the Met because the sections looked quite similar. The Met nib has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan, and some design etched on it. I also pulled the nib & feed out. They look exactly the same as nib and feed on my 78Gs, except the Met nib is chrome finished and has the Pilot name, nib size, Japan and some design etched on it.
    Jor, just to be crystal clear, are you confirming that one can take the entire section from a 78G and thread it into the body of a Metropolitan (in your experience)?
    I'm not Jor but I just tried, and it's a little squeaky, but it seems to fit.

Frankenpens everywhere take note!

Thanks

Jet pen have the metropolitan black, black band 14.50 so I ordered my first Pilot pen. Also ordered a bottle of Diamine Ink for Fountain Pens - 80 ml Bottle - Claret which as near as I can tell (color blind red/green) so shades are tough - I am trying to get close to yama buda color.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

jor412

I'm not Jor but I just tried, and it's a little squeaky, but it seems to fit.

Frankenpens everywhere take note!
    I have 4 78Gs in 4 colors. They all fit. The 78G & Met section are exactly the same; they're interchangeable. If I wanted to have one, I could have a black Met with a teal 78G section. That would be kind of ugly IMO but it's doable.

Thanks

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just a 78G with sheet metal.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (October 11th, 2013), thagbert (May 17th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Just switched out my Metropolitan medium for a 78g broad. Thanks to all of you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Just ordered on on Amazon. It was selling for $13.12 on Amazon Prime. Keep on eye on the Amazon prices they will bounce around quite a bit. I own a red Knight and was very disappointed to see it discontinued. I hope the Metropolitan lives up to the Knight.

Thanks

I've got one (black with zig-zag) that I've named @SeverusSSnape, after the guy on Twitter. I love this pen--this is one of those pens that I carry around in my pen pouch all the time. I'll be buying at least a couple more to give to co-workers who've been interested in my fountain pens but aren't fountain pen users themselves. I think these are great starter pens, provided you hand them over with some "adult supervision," as I call it. :P I gave one of these to a friend of mine last week, and I ended up having to help her out with it because she wanted to use it right out of the box. Since she's not an avid founain pen user--she's old enough to have used fountain pens in high school or college but hasn't used them in years--we opted to use the included ink cartridge instead of filling up the converter with one of my bottled inks. Well...I hadn't flushed the pen out and just stuck the cartridge in. I didn't want to use the pen in any way, even just to flush it out for her--I wanted her to be the one to use the pen first. So we stuck the cartridge in, but the pen wouldn't write at all, no matter how long we let it sit or how much we tried to write with it. I ended up having to give it a very quick flush with a cup of water from the water cooler before putting the cartridge in again, and the pen wrote beautifully. I think my friend would've thought the Metropolitan was defective if I just handed it to her, or if she somehow got one on her own, since there are no instructions included with this pen.

Given this...well, I asked a couple of my other co-workers if they would want one of these pens, too--say, for a birthday or for Christmas. They both said yes because they've loved how my pens look. So I'll be buying at least two more of this pen--and I'm fine with handing these out to them because I'll be around to help if something goes wrong or wonky with them.
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoXFiles For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (May 18th, 2013)

Thanks

pm.JPGMine arrived today Black plain inked with Diamine Claret - wrote straight away - nib was slightly scratchy - checked and found tines not aligned - corrected and it is writing a nice fine line

I probably will pick up a couple more and have them as gifts as well.
    Last edited by cwent2; May 18th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain