Page 121 of 290 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Cob, two fabulous pens tht 4572 and the Chatelaine. Can one buy a Swan magnet like yours? I may be interested....
    Ha ha very good!

But the problem is that magnets are not as discriminatory as one would like: for example here's one I would love to have but it's already too rich for me with nearly two days to go and it's in the USA, so postage and customs charges would probably double the already colossal price!

Best regards

Cob

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 28th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

When people talk about antique shop finds I have to start at the other end by actually finding an antique shop! One of the main reasons for my reluctance to sell pens on is the sheer difficulty in finding such pens later should I have a change of focus. You should come and live in the pen and ink desert over here for a couple of years. Yeah, I know, first world problems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (June 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Cob, two fabulous pens tht 4572 and the Chatelaine. Can one buy a Swan magnet like yours? I may be interested....
    Ha ha very good!

But the problem is that magnets are not as discriminatory as one would like: for example here's one I would love to have but it's already too rich for me with nearly two days to go and it's in the USA, so postage and customs charges would probably double the already colossal price!

Best regards

Cob

I don't know about anyone else, but I've gotten several pens that were vintage on there lately that someone seemed to have photo shopped all of the defects of the pen out. My last one the images showed a perfect pen with absolutely nothing wrong and I get the pen to find a large crack running through the cap of the pen. It was an obvious one too, discolored and filled. It also had a big chip out of the bottom. So then you're out the shipping to return and the customs charges because those aren't included in a refund.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    Ha ha very good!

Best regards

Cob

I don't know about anyone else, but I've gotten several pens that were vintage on there lately that someone seemed to have photo shopped all of the defects of the pen out. My last one the images showed a perfect pen with absolutely nothing wrong and I get the pen to find a large crack running through the cap of the pen. It was an obvious one too, discolored and filled. It also had a big chip out of the bottom. So then you're out the shipping to return and the customs charges because those aren't included in a refund.

That sounds terrible.

You should not have to pay the return shipping at least if the item had undisclosed faults; ebay is quite good these days in this regard. I have had about 16 cases in the past 12 months all resolved satisfactorily - apart from those where I have been fortunate to be dealing with decent and reasonable sellers.

To lose the customs charges seems especially unfair.

Cob

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    Ha ha very good!

Best regards

Cob

That sounds terrible.

You should not have to pay the return shipping at least if the item had undisclosed faults; ebay is quite good these days in this regard. I have had about 16 cases in the past 12 months all resolved satisfactorily - apart from those where I have been fortunate to be dealing with decent and reasonable sellers.

To lose the customs charges seems especially unfair.

Cob
    Thanks for the tip, I will try to get that taken care of if it happens again. I've probably lost enough to buy another pen on return shipping and fees.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

Test
    Last edited by Special K; July 6th, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Here are the last two lots of pens I picked up. Most are Japanese with a few Italians thrown in for good measure.

2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 3rd, 2015), earthdawn (July 4th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 5th, 2015), klpeabody (July 5th, 2015), reprieve (July 3rd, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Just finish restoring my first 3 vacumatics..
    May The Force Be With You!! ---

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jadehawk For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (July 3rd, 2015), BikerBabe (July 3rd, 2015), Buster99 (July 3rd, 2015), Cob (July 3rd, 2015), earthdawn (July 4th, 2015), farmdogfan (July 3rd, 2015), Hawk (July 4th, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

One or two interesting ones have turned up here lately. Here's a nice Swan Minor, stamped SM2/60 on the end of the barrel. I suppose it dates from about 1932. What is unusual is the herringbone chasing and gold-plated cap band. Most of the Minors I have seen have simpler longitudinal chasing and chrome-plated metal parts. I did once have a Minor 2 that had a GP clip but no cap band - but the longitudinal chasing.

This one has a lovely classic Mabie Todd fine nib.

Cob

Swan SM2_60.jpg

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (July 3rd, 2015), earthdawn (July 4th, 2015), Hawk (July 4th, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015), RuiFromUK (July 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Here's a sort of distant relative of my previous submission to this thread. It's an eye-dropper called "The Traveller" produced by Edward Todd & Co of New York, presumably some time before 1920. Edward Todd went into partnership with John H. Mabie in 1860. In 1868 he separated and formed his own company. He died in 1892 and the business was carried on until 1932 by his son. I need to do a little work to the feed arrangements, but as may be seen the small very flexible nib is delightful.

Cob

Edward Todd Traveller 4.jpg

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (July 4th, 2015), Deb (July 3rd, 2015), earthdawn (July 4th, 2015), Hawk (July 4th, 2015), klpeabody (July 5th, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Cob you have a nice selection of vintage flex pens. 7

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenof9 For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenof9 View Post
    Cob you have a nice selection of vintage flex pens. 7
    They seem to come in little batches - I'll get a few with quite "normal" nibs (if Mabie Todds can ever be called normal!!) and then like the proverbial buses, a few come along at once!

Rgds

Cob

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

That Edward Todd eyedropper is a stunner and it's a rarity too!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Mine is a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze B. It's been my grail pen for a while now! I'm so excited!
    Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it.

Check out my pen blog at http://inksandpens.com/

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to musicman123 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 3rd, 2015), earthdawn (July 4th, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Here's a sort of distant relative of my previous submission to this thread. It's an eye-dropper called "The Traveller" produced by Edward Todd & Co of New York, presumably some time before 1920. Edward Todd went into partnership with John H. Mabie in 1860. In 1868 he separated and formed his own company. He died in 1892 and the business was carried on until 1932 by his son. I need to do a little work to the feed arrangements, but as may be seen the small very flexible nib is delightful.

Cob

Edward Todd Traveller 4.jpg
    Awhile back, I purchased a Todd Pen Traveller with two gold bands, also an eyedropper. The nib appears to be from another pen since it is marked Blackbird MT & Co. Ltd. Made in England. It is an extremely wet writer. I like it for what it is.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 4th, 2015)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Hawk;136650]

Cob

Awhile back, I purchased a Todd Pen Traveller with two gold bands, also an eyedropper. The nib appears to be from another pen since it is marked Blackbird MT & Co. Ltd. Made in England. It is an extremely wet writer. I like it for what it is.
    Yes Mabie Todd Blackbirds are easily found here in England; what is curious is how the nib ended up over there! Many of the Blackbird nibs are very nice; how's yours?

I would say that the nib in my pen is rather smaller than a Blackbird's, though I haven't yet removed it to have a look. I will say that the Edward Todd pen appears to be of the very best quality. I shall be looking out for them!

Rgds

Cob

Thanks

Beats me how the nib swam the pond. Bought the pen from Krantz; his son Charlie picked out the pen so I call it my 'Charlie Pen'. Your nib appears to be more narrow and maybe longer. It isn't, however as flexibile as yours. It writes nice for me. Based on your advice, I will have to look out for more of them. Eyedroppers aren't my highest priority but they have a place in my abstract collection.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

The first truly vintage pen I purchased, about 4-5 months into pen fancy (and that's about 5 years ago) was a Sheaffer Balance in the Ebonized Pearl celluloid. I've remained fascinated by that material since (as evidenced in the set I posted earlier), and have a few different items. Recently one caught my eye, a vacuum-fill "First Lady" (D53WS, dating from around 1935 or later; ID made after I had the pen). I had only known of the pens as lever fill.

Anyway, when it got to me, at first I thought it was odd that the Ebonized part of the barrel was only in about the middle third; all of my other pens used the material all the way to the section, and further back on the butt. It was when I dug into the catalogs to try to ID the model that I realized something I never new existed in this material, or was possible. I've done the best I can to show that in the second photo, though my tools and skills are limited. All I can tell you was that it was one of my biggest surprises lately, and a really learning moment!

The pen will be off to Gerry Berg this week for restoration, as it is an early model with the plastic-coated iron rod, badly deteriorated, and I want this done right. Pix when it gets back!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 5th, 2015), rpsyed (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The first truly vintage pen I purchased, about 4-5 months into pen fancy (and that's about 5 years ago) was a Sheaffer Balance in the Ebonized Pearl celluloid. I've remained fascinated by that material since (as evidenced in the set I posted earlier), and have a few different items. Recently one caught my eye, a vacuum-fill "First Lady" (D53WS, dating from around 1935 or later; ID made after I had the pen). I had only known of the pens as lever fill.

Anyway, when it got to me, at first I thought it was odd that the Ebonized part of the barrel was only in about the middle third; all of my other pens used the material all the way to the section, and further back on the butt. It was when I dug into the catalogs to try to ID the model that I realized something I never new existed in this material, or was possible. I've done the best I can to show that in the second photo, though my tools and skills are limited. All I can tell you was that it was one of my biggest surprises lately, and a really learning moment!

The pen will be off to Gerry Berg this week for restoration, as it is an early model with the plastic-coated iron rod, badly deteriorated, and I want this done right. Pix when it gets back!
    I'm curious....ink window? Or was it created for another purpose? Your pen is outstanding....truly a classic.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I'm curious....ink window? Or was it created for another purpose? Your pen is outstanding....truly a classic.
    It's a semi-transparent barrel that, before the celluloid of that age ambers, would allow one to hold it up to the light and see how much ink was in the barrel. The thing is, I never realized that they were able to make them out of that material. I was given the following information after posting elsewhere:

The early Vac-Fil pens used this multi-piece barrel construction, with a central transparent section capped by opaque pieces on both ends, using mortise-and-tenon joints for strength and sealing (the packing unit closure disk was captured during assembly between the central barrel section and the opaque rear portion). The Ebonized Pearl and the black materials were layered with a striped black/clear under-sheet and helically wrapped; marbled Gray Pearl also was helically wrapped, at least sometimes (I have to check some examples, as I have a memory that there were also some other construction[s] used). In the case of Ebonized Pearl, the material could not practically be curved or tapered, because the pearl chunks were not formable, and so Sheaffer chose to use plain black celluloid for the tapered ends of the pen as well as for the cap lip, which is also mortise-and-tenon jointed under the cap band (at least one prototype pen exists with Ebonized Pearl material throughout). The helical striping is shown in Sheaffer catalogs.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 5th, 2015), Hawk (July 5th, 2015)