Page 143 of 290 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Mike, how do usually determine which nib would work with the feed inside the pen?
    Do you try several nibs until you find one that will fit? If so what are the criteria to determine the fit?
    This was a special case where I bought a bunch of surplus Michel Perchin nibs from Richard Binder expressly for several Bexley pens I had bought this year. I don't remember precisely, but I'm sure Richard noted that they were #6 and would work on pens that take #6 nibs, that he would even mount them on Bexley or Edison feed units if desired (at extra cost). IIRC, I bought a small number and mounted them myself, but when I ordered several more, I had him mount them on Bexley feed units. So in this case I didn't even use the feed that came with the pen, just swapped out the thread-in Bexley units and tossed the entire nib unit that came with the pen in my now embarrassingly large supply of Bexley steel nib units.

However, in general, I do exactly that. I remove the feed and press the nib to it to see how it fits. The length and thickness must be sufficient for the nib to be held in securely, and the radius of curvature of the nib needs to match the feed, more or less. On a few occasions I have decreased the curvature of the nib to perfect the fit. I think this was the case with a Parker VS nib that I once installed on a Sheaffer No Nonsense pen. I do not recommend that. Increasing the radius of curvature is a risky move--might crack the nib, and it also induces an "inverted grand canyon" issue at the tip, which has to be adjusted out. In any case, even when the nib has the right radius of curvature for the feed, is long enough and the right thickness to be held securely without being so tight as to risk cracking the section, the feed usually has to be adjusted to fit the nib properly along its entire length. This is easy with ebonite feeds, but plastic feeds are slightly adjustable, too. I once fitted the nib from a slender Sheaffer Touchdown pen on a Cross Century II. The radius was right, but the feed angled away from the tines when it was installed. It was not easy to adjust it, but once I had it right, it was great.
    Last edited by mhosea; November 28th, 2015 at 07:44 PM.
    --
    Mike

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 28th, 2015), rpsyed (November 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Titivillus View Post
    I just bought a Pilot Custom to go with the CON70 converter I recently bought. The pen is coming from Japan so a few weeks and I should have it.
    This made my day: you have to love someone who buys a pen to complete the converter!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 30th, 2015), da vinci (November 29th, 2015), fountainpenkid (December 1st, 2015), rpsyed (November 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Mike, how do usually determine which nib would work with the feed inside the pen?
    Do you try several nibs until you find one that will fit? If so what are the criteria to determine the fit?
    However, in general, I do exactly that. I remove the feed and press the nib to it to see how it fits. The length and thickness must be sufficient for the nib to be held in securely, and the radius of curvature of the nib needs to match the feed, more or less. On a few occasions I have decreased the curvature of the nib to perfect the fit. I think this was the case with a Parker VS nib that I once installed on a Sheaffer No Nonsense pen. I do not recommend that. Increasing the radius of curvature is a risky move--might crack the nib, and it also induces an "inverted grand canyon" issue at the tip, which has to be adjusted out. In any case, even when the nib has the right radius of curvature for the feed, is long enough and the right thickness to be held securely without being so tight as to risk cracking the section, the feed usually has to be adjusted to fit the nib properly along its entire length. This is easy with ebonite feeds, but plastic feeds are slightly adjustable, too. I once fitted the nib from a slender Sheaffer Touchdown pen on a Cross Century II. The radius was right, but the feed angled away from the tines when it was installed. It was not easy to adjust it, but once I had it right, it was great.
    Switching nibs is (to me) one of the most fun aspect of collecting FPs. Thank you for the clear explanation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titivillus View Post
    I just bought a Pilot Custom to go with the CON70 converter I recently bought. The pen is coming from Japan so a few weeks and I should have it.
    This made my day: you have to love someone who buys a pen to complete the converter!
    Kinda like the A10 "Wart Hog" and GE Vulcan 20mm cannon....
    GE built the weapon FIRST....THEN had a plane designed to FLY it!!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Thanks

On impulse and because I had a coupon burning a hole in my pocket, I picked up a Cross Bailey at Staples recently. Haven't tried it yet but it looks similar to the Cross Aventura. My parents gifted me with an Aventura last year and it has been perfectly serviceable, though not great. I'm assuming the Bailey has a medium nib just like the Aventura. We'll see.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelanieWI For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 30th, 2015), rpsyed (November 29th, 2015)

Thanks

I've been a little quiet lately, so here are a couple quick shots of recent pen finds. I don't do "grail pens" but the closest I get is this model of Moore pen. I've been hunting for about 4 years and only have seen one come by, so I felt happy to get this one... only it's a 92-A, which I didn't even know they made. I still have to find the 94-A! Argh!!! Anyway, I'm pleased.

This was followed almost immediately by a very nice condition Sheaffer 8C, certainly an iconic pen. It was silly how good a condition it was in, just a wipe-down and new sac and it immediately is in the top few writing pens I own, just remarkable for nearly 90 years old. This stays on the desk and will write letters of importance to dear people. Price tag? $50.00, shipping included.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (November 30th, 2015), bluesea (November 30th, 2015), Bogon07 (December 1st, 2015), Crazyorange (November 30th, 2015), da vinci (November 29th, 2015), Laura N (November 29th, 2015), mhosea (November 29th, 2015), penwash (November 29th, 2015), rpsyed (November 29th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (November 29th, 2015)

Thanks

I've been a little quiet lately, so here are a couple quick shots of recent pen finds. I don't do "grail pens" but the closest I get is this model of Moore pen. I've been hunting for about 4 years and only have seen one come by, so I felt happy to get this one... only it's a 92-A, which I didn't even know they made. I still have to find the 94-A! Argh!!! Anyway, I'm pleased.
    Love the Moore. Is that a replacement section? Either way, I really like it. I had a Moore 92-A, but mine was plain black, plating gone on the clip. It had a smaller section, and a small "maniflex" nib, which was nevertheless quite nice in character. The section being a bit small for me, I gave it to a coworker as a memento of Boston. He was returning to England after living in Boston for several years.

8C's are really practical pens. They have much larger capacity than over-size Balance pens. Even after downsizing my vintage Sheaffer collection, I kept a pair of 8C's, one with the early "LIFETIME PEN" nib (though a later body and cap) and one probably from the late 30's with the Oversize Balance-style section and nib.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Love the Moore. Is that a replacement section? Either way, I really like it.
    Thanks, Mike. As to the section, I've got to ask in some of the vintage-centric areas about the following: Moore isn't the only pen brand that I've seen do this - they made the section out of transparent plastic so they could have a 'visualated' area, and then painted the gripping part with a thin, glossy black paint. Often it has held up, or maybe just has a small chip or two. This pen it was about 1/2 gone, and the rest really came away in the ultrasonic. I wasn't that upset because if I wanted it (at least cosmetically) back to original, I was going to have to touch up, and it will come out better with the entire area clean.

I just have to figure out the best way to do this, and until then, it will stay as is (I haven't sac'd it yet). A crude, but effective, way of having an ink window.

And I agree on the 8C. Frankly, I wasn't going to bid high on it, but if I could get it as an example of that model to have, that would have been just fine. To have it turn out to be such a mondo pen is more than icing on the cake.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

This pen it was about 1/2 gone, and the rest really came away in the ultrasonic. I wasn't that upset because if I wanted it (at least cosmetically) back to original, I was going to have to touch up, and it will come out better with the entire area clean.
    OK, I see. I should have thought of that. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be torn between restoring it and leaving it as is, but in the end I would restore it once I was well-informed and prepared to do it right, I guess.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

OK, I see. I should have thought of that. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be torn between restoring it and leaving it as is, but in the end I would restore it once I was well-informed and prepared to do it right, I guess.
    Ha, yeah, that's pretty much where I am. If can do it well, I'll do it, but until then, I don't want to make a mess. When I get some info, I have some very similar Wearever sections, as they did the same thing, and I'll experiment there.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Switching nibs is (to me) one of the most fun aspect of collecting FPs.
    Then you might appreciate this. Last night, about when I should have gone to bed, I got an idea. I had installed a firm, fine nib from an old oversized Sheaffer Balance on a Bexley feed for use in one of my Poseidon Magnum II's, but I had to use some epoxy to sort of "shim" it so that it would be secure, and I don't really like the nib. Never did, as it is just a nail and a bit finer than I like. With nibs that fine, I usually prefer an up-turn, and this nib was from an awkward period (IMHO) just before the up-turn was introduced in Sheaffer pens. Anyway, I was going through my now small number of unused gold nibs and saw a 14K nib of the size used on late Parker Vacumatics. It's a little short for the Bexley feed and very loose-fitting as well, but the radius of curvature is right, and if it were tight-fitting, it would be long enough. So I began to consider how to secure it. Then I remembered that I had an un-tipped Parker nib of the same size in my stash of junk nibs with broken tips. Turns out that both would fit when stacked, so I cut the tail off the junk nib and used it as a 14K "shim". You can see the edge in the photo. I could probably tap it back a little, but at present I'm testing it, and it's working nicely.

ParkerOnBexley.jpg
    --
    Mike

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 30th, 2015), Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Switching nibs is (to me) one of the most fun aspect of collecting FPs.
    Then you might appreciate this. Last night, about when I should have gone to bed, I got an idea. I had installed a firm, fine nib from an old oversized Sheaffer Balance on a Bexley feed for use in one of my Poseidon Magnum II's, but I had to use some epoxy to sort of "shim" it so that it would be secure, and I don't really like the nib. Never did, as it is just a nail and a bit finer than I like. With nibs that fine, I usually prefer an up-turn, and this nib was from an awkward period (IMHO) just before the up-turn was introduced in Sheaffer pens. Anyway, I was going through my now small number of unused gold nibs and saw a 14K nib of the size used on late Parker Vacumatics. It's a little short for the Bexley feed and very loose-fitting as well, but the radius of curvature is right, and if it were tight-fitting, it would be long enough. So I began to consider how to secure it. Then I remembered that I had an un-tipped Parker nib of the same size in my stash of junk nibs with broken tips. Turns out that both would fit when stacked, so I cut the tail off the junk nib and used it as a 14K "shim". You can see the edge in the photo. I could probably tap it back a little, but at present I'm testing it, and it's working nicely.

ParkerOnBexley.jpg
    Using the tail of another nib to shim a loose-fitting one. That is COOL!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Cool Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

I got this about a month ago believe it or not and just have not had time to introduce her. Classic Pens LM1 in Flame Red with an Italic nib. Funny as it sounds but I got it from Classic Pens aka Nibs.com It is in stunning like new condition. It was adjusted in 09' by Binder and then John made sure it was good to go before sending it.#206 was a nice number to get as it adds up to 8 which in some circles is considered a symbol of harmony and balance and very appropriate for this amazing piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (December 2nd, 2015), da vinci (December 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default What is your latest pen acquisition?

Picked up this Omas Paragon last week. It fits my hand much better than the Milord.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 1st, 2015), Crazyorange (December 2nd, 2015), da vinci (December 1st, 2015), mhosea (December 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Picked up this Omas Paragon last week. It fits my hand much better than the Milord.
    I seriously considered spending a good chunk of my $1K 10-year service award on that pen, but in the end I used it for a down payment on a leather couch from Ethan Allan that my wife wanted. Nice couch. Happy wife. Still don't have the pen.
    --
    Mike

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (December 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I seriously considered spending a good chunk of my $1K 10-year service award on that pen, but in the end I used it for a down payment on a leather couch from Ethan Allan that my wife wanted. Nice couch. Happy wife. Still don't have the pen.
    All you need to do is say this to your wife: "Honey, I need you to be happy for the next 10 years" then you can use your 20-year service award to buy the Omas Paragon from Dan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default What is your latest pen acquisition?

All you need to do is say this to your wife: "Honey, I need you to be happy for the next 10 years" then you can use your 20-year service award to buy the Omas Paragon from Dan.

He'll have to buy it from somewhere else because I won't be selling mine.
    Last edited by dannzeman; December 1st, 2015 at 09:24 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Another TWSBI ECO - this time it's a white one. Great nib from Pendleton Brown

image.jpg

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (December 1st, 2015), Crazyorange (December 2nd, 2015), lettp (December 26th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (December 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Yeah, not to worry. I figured that plan would never work! I think I need to get something in Arco, though. Doesn't have to be a Paragon.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Yeah, not to worry. I figured that plan would never work! I think I need to get something in Arco, though. Doesn't have to be a Paragon.
    What's Arco?