Page 201 of 290 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    Danitrio 100 Poems in Purple Urushi

Beautiful pen. I'm sure no one here mind a little background story on how did you choose and end up with this pen.
    I have been a FP Geek for the last 30 years, collecting just about anything that appealed to me. About 4 years ago I was brought under the spell of the Japanese masters of urushi and maki-e. This pen is one of the Danitrio series 100 poems by 100 poets. Each of the pens were hand painted with a 13th century, 5 line, 31 syllable court poem called Waka. You can Google up 100 poems by 100 poets or Ogura Hyakunin Isshu that will tell you more if you are truly interested.

Poetry to the Japanese was more than just words that had a meaning. It had to do with the words, meaning, where the words were spoken, the season in which they were spoken, by whom they were spoken and to whom they were spoken. And words carried with them the spirit in which they were spoken. Poetry could truly be magical when recited in all its correct facets.

This was just one of those pens that happened to fall into the hands of a vendor that I work with on occasion so we got together and decided it should find a home in my collection. It is far more beautiful that I can convey in a photo or two. I wish there were a way I could photograph the real nature of urushi with all its depth and shading. Maybe someday I will be that good.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

da vinci (September 1st, 2017), farmdogfan (September 1st, 2017), KrazyIvan (September 10th, 2017), mea (September 1st, 2017), penwash (August 31st, 2017), rpsyed (September 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Beautiful pen. I'm sure no one here mind a little background story on how did you choose and end up with this pen.
    I have been a FP Geek for the last 30 years, collecting just about anything that appealed to me. About 4 years ago I was brought under the spell of the Japanese masters of urushi and maki-e. This pen is one of the Danitrio series 100 poems by 100 poets. Each of the pens were hand painted with a 13th century, 5 line, 31 syllable court poem called Waka. You can Google up 100 poems by 100 poets or Ogura Hyakunin Isshu that will tell you more if you are truly interested.

Poetry to the Japanese was more than just words that had a meaning. It had to do with the words, meaning, where the words were spoken, the season in which they were spoken, by whom they were spoken and to whom they were spoken. And words carried with them the spirit in which they were spoken. Poetry could truly be magical when recited in all its correct facets.

This was just one of those pens that happened to fall into the hands of a vendor that I work with on occasion so we got together and decided it should find a home in my collection. It is far more beautiful that I can convey in a photo or two. I wish there were a way I could photograph the real nature of urushi with all its depth and shading. Maybe someday I will be that good.
    Thank you for the backstory, that is fascinating.

I think appreciation for a pen like this can only be conveyed via in person impressions. A video could come close if done correctly.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thank you for the backstory, that is fascinating.

I think appreciation for a pen like this can only be conveyed via in person impressions. A video could come close if done correctly.
    I have all the photo/ video equipment and plan on putting up a You Tube channel in the future that will deal with pens that are uncommon. ....hopefully.

I will post back when that happens and make the 100 poems my first project.

The Japanese culture is so ornate and its depth is bottomless. Of course it is an ancient culture so compared to an American culture such as mine we are eons apart when it comes to "why".

Thanks for the comments. I am throwing up another Dani as a bit of minor eye candy. Enjoy!

And a Nakaya Heki-Tamanuri Urushi just for the drool factor.

Last edited by Bisquitlips; August 31st, 2017 at 09:56 PM.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

da vinci (September 1st, 2017), farmdogfan (September 1st, 2017), jodylud (September 6th, 2017), kaisnowbird (September 5th, 2017), KrazyIvan (September 10th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (September 1st, 2017), mea (September 1st, 2017), penwash (September 1st, 2017), rpsyed (September 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Just picked up a Kaweco Supra. I purchased this pen with plans on customizing the brass patina and then locking the patina in place. Not as easy to do as I first thougt. Here is my first attempt at a forced patina.
    36959872415_e8fbe2268c_z.jpg
    Last edited by Slurry; September 1st, 2017 at 08:30 AM.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slurry For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (September 6th, 2017), da vinci (September 1st, 2017), farmdogfan (September 2nd, 2017), jodylud (September 6th, 2017), KrazyIvan (September 10th, 2017), mea (September 1st, 2017), rpsyed (September 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Default What is your latest pen acquisition?

Just ordered this pen after much consideration... my first Dupont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Liquid360 For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (September 6th, 2017), da vinci (September 3rd, 2017), kaisnowbird (September 5th, 2017), KrazyIvan (September 10th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (September 6th, 2017), rpsyed (September 1st, 2017), RuiFromUK (September 6th, 2017), Zhivago (September 7th, 2017)

Thanks

The last 30 days...........

1) A modern Conklin Black Chased Mark Twain/Cresent Filler that came with a medium. I turned it into a crisp italic- love it! ($59 bux off eBay)

2) PLATINUM #3776 The Lantern Transparent Amber Brown 14K Gold F Nib Fountain Pen- soft smooth nib. Wanted to try their new seal fit cap?

3) Conklin Duragraph Amber & Chrome Fountain Pen 1.1 Stub Nib, tuned by Mark Bacas- unbelievably smooth with decent line variation. Somewhere between a CI and stub

4) Black PARKER 45 with a medium 14K right oblique italic. One of the most under rated pens you can buy with a specialty nib! (Came with converter as well:>)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (September 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

1-SF-Pen-Show-2017purchased.jpg

From the 2017 San Francisco Pen Show: Pens left to right - Shawn Newton Quapaw in San Marble ebonite, Kanalea Pen Co. Kilauea, Ryan Krusac in Tasmanian Eucalyptus. In front, a sweet little M-T Swan with a flexible nib.

David

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dms For This Useful Post:

da vinci (September 3rd, 2017), farmdogfan (September 2nd, 2017), jodylud (September 6th, 2017), Jon Szanto (September 6th, 2017), kevmid (September 7th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (September 6th, 2017), rpsyed (September 2nd, 2017), Scrawler (September 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms View Post

From the 2017 San Francisco Pen Show: Pens left to right - Shawn Newton Quapaw in San Marble ebonite, Kanalea Pen Co. Kilauea, Ryan Krusac in Tasmanian Eucalyptus. In front, a sweet little M-T Swan with a flexible nib.

David
    The Ryan Krusac pen looks gorgeous!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms View Post

David
    How does the Eucalyptus wood smell? Is it as fragrant as its leaves?

Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry View Post
    Just picked up a Kaweco Supra. I purchased this pen with plans on customizing the brass patina and then locking the patina in place. Not as easy to do as I first thougt. Here is my first attempt at a forced patina.
    36959872415_e8fbe2268c_z.jpg
    I like it! Can you share how you did this? I have been thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I posted this a couple of places but neglected FPG. From this past weekend...

How lucky can "a man" be? She surprises me for my birthday this morning with a pen she sourced at the SF Pen Show (we were both there, but *I'm* the pen nerd!). The top pen, a silver pearl 1st-gen Vac, completes my set of the four original colors in standard size. Great pen, amazing transparency, gotten from the fine vendor Sherrell Tyree. Mega-happy, moreso with the thought and heart than the object. This is why we stay together with those who know us so well.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (September 8th, 2017), da vinci (September 6th, 2017), farmdogfan (September 6th, 2017), Fawkes (March 30th, 2022), fountainpenkid (September 6th, 2017), kaisnowbird (September 6th, 2017), kevmid (September 7th, 2017), KrazyIvan (September 10th, 2017), pajaro (September 6th, 2017), penwash (September 6th, 2017), reyaziel (September 7th, 2017), rpsyed (September 6th, 2017), Scrawler (September 9th, 2017), Zhivago (September 7th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I posted this a couple of places but neglected FPG. From this past weekend...

How lucky can "a man" be? She surprises me for my birthday this morning with a pen she sourced at the SF Pen Show (we were both there, but *I'm* the pen nerd!). The top pen, a silver pearl 1st-gen Vac, completes my set of the four original colors in standard size. Great pen, amazing transparency, gotten from the fine vendor Sherrell Tyree. Mega-happy, moreso with the thought and heart than the object. This is why we stay together with those who know us so well.

Very nice pen. Since the pen has nice transparency, would you ink it?

Thanks

The brown Prera I was waiting for has arrived and I am a little disappointed. As @migo984 said in the "Waiting for" thread it is such a dark brown, it's almost black, and certainly no match for the Iroshizuku Tsukushi choc milk I'll be putting in it. The image in the listing had been Photoshopped.

The other gotcha is that the opaque Preras don't come with a converter. I have three transparent Prera, two purchased locally, the third from this same ebay seller, I had no reason to think this would be different and since it's an opaque pen it's lack can't be seen in the photos. If I had known - I would have ordered one - probably from the same seller!. I've inked it by filling an empty cartridge while I wait another 3 or 4 weeks for a converter. Not impressed. Sneaky seller loses a repeat customer.
    It's all about the greys...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Very nice pen. Since the pen has nice transparency, would you ink it?
    I did ink it, just so I could show the writing style to my wife. I used Parker "Quink" Washable Blue, which will not stain and flush out quite well. After writing for a while I'll clean it out... for now. I like preservation but I try to not be dogmatic.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (September 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Preservation VS. the pleasure of use. Often it's a dilemma. You only live once, though, and you might as well enjoy it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post

Beautiful pen with an interesting nib shape. Good writing experience?

Thanks

I picked up a 90's Montblanc 146 from another forum member and it came today. I really like it. It's not the first Montblanc I have had but it is the MB first fountain pen. I do have a Sailor 1911 Large and it is very similar but not as nice and the 146. It looks much better in person then in photos.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Driften For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (September 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post

Beautiful pen with an interesting nib shape. Good writing experience?
    It just arrived yesterday and I haven’t inked it yet... but the build quality of this pen is insane. Till now, my favorite pen was my MB149, but this Dupont makes it feel cheap by comparison.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liquid360 For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (September 9th, 2017), fountainpenkid (September 8th, 2017), rpsyed (September 8th, 2017), Zhivago (September 8th, 2017)

Thanks

I lack the words to describe the way this Olympio feels. It’s perfection in every way.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liquid360 For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (September 9th, 2017), rpsyed (September 8th, 2017), Zhivago (September 8th, 2017)

Thanks

That Dupont looks amazing. I'm not a huge fan of metal pens but the Duponts are so attractive. I've heard nothing but good things about them as well. Congrats on the new acquisition.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Liquid360 (September 9th, 2017)