Page 217 of 290 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,340 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

I just got a Platinum 3776 Blue with the SF nib...
    I was surprised to find Anderson Pens at the Palmer House hotel in Chicago, and I got the pen in there!
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

New acquisitions:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

da vinci (July 23rd, 2018), farmdogfan (July 21st, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

I'm kinda behind on my pen pics, but it was a hot and lazy afternoon so I started experimenting a bit. Here's a 1929 Parker Duofold Sr. Streamline I just finished restoring. It took two days to get the section (safely) out, showing the virtue of patience in pen work. This was a sumgai on eBay and I didn't expect much in function but, my word, this is a wonderful writer! So happy to have found this pen...

Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 23rd, 2018 at 06:09 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (July 29th, 2018), Cob (July 25th, 2018), da vinci (July 23rd, 2018), Hawk (September 29th, 2018), KKay (July 23rd, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018), usk15 (July 24th, 2018)

Thanks

IMG_3843.JPG[ATTACH]41279[/ATTACH
    ]IMG_3845.JPG

Well, I’ve bought kinda a bunch of New Fountain Pens lately....Thank goodness i was in the hospital for 3 weeks and my Beautiful wife of 41 years, gave me a whole lotta space! But this F.P. in the pic’s, is a really kool pen and one that I would recommend . 1st, I went to, WWW.KAYU.CZ which is in the chechen Republic. Michel is the proprietor of the site and is incredibly easy to work with! When you click on the site, you are met with a FP. Click on the BARREL and the options for choosing your wood, pop up below the Pen. ( I chose the BANGKIRAI for my style of wood, as i never heard of it before, and i’m a apprentice wood worker ), then i clicked next in line, between the nib & Barrel, I have a brain injury and the word escapes me at this moment? Then the colors pop up, below to choose from. ( I chose Turquoise. It also colors your clip the same color. Additionaly, this is a one of a kind LE Fountain Pen. Inside the clip is your LE #. Next, click on the nib, and your choices will pop up. ( I chose a Schmidt Gold Plated Nib, M ) at the bottom is your price in euros. You also get a very unique shipping package, as well as a nice felt single pen holder. I really like my pen!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ms8109 For This Useful Post:

da vinci (July 23rd, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 24th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018), SIR (July 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I ordered this online from a woman who does Rennaisance Faires. It was supposed to arrive fully functional, but it didn't even have a slit, or for that matter a scored line in the tip, and the nib was cut lopsided. I watched half a dozen youtube videos on how to hand-cut a quill, then got out my Optivisor and an Xacto knife and recut the nib in its entirety. When I finished I tried it out on a Rhodia dot pad with Waterman Intense Black. It was enormously satisfying.

Last edited by calamus; July 24th, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

amk (July 29th, 2018), BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 24th, 2018), Cob (July 25th, 2018), da vinci (July 24th, 2018), fountainpagan (July 24th, 2018), Hawk (September 29th, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 24th, 2018), Kulprit (July 24th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 24th, 2018), NibsForScript (July 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Cool Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by ms8109 View Post
    1st, I went to, WWW.KAYU.CZ which is in the chechen Republic...
    Not my place to be a pedant but... Czech Republic, dude!

Nice pen, btw

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 24th, 2018), FredRydr (July 24th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

IMG_3843.JPG

Well, I’ve bought kinda a bunch of New Fountain Pens lately....Thank goodness i was in the hospital for 3 weeks and my Beautiful wife of 41 years, gave me a whole lotta space! But this F.P. in the pic’s, is a really kool pen and one that I would recommend . 1st, I went to, WWW.KAYU.CZ which is in the chechen Republic. Michel is the proprietor of the site and is incredibly easy to work with! When you click on the site, you are met with a FP. Click on the BARREL and the options for choosing your wood, pop up below the Pen. ( I chose the BANGKIRAI for my style of wood, as i never heard of it before, and i’m a apprentice wood worker ), then i clicked next in line, between the nib & Barrel, I have a brain injury and the word escapes me at this moment? Then the colors pop up, below to choose from. ( I chose Turquoise. It also colors your clip the same color. Additionaly, this is a one of a kind LE Fountain Pen. Inside the clip is your LE #. Next, click on the nib, and your choices will pop up. ( I chose a Schmidt Gold Plated Nib, M ) at the bottom is your price in euros. You also get a very unique shipping package, as well as a nice felt single pen holder. I really like my pen!

Just a trivia:
    The word "Kayu" in Malay, which is spoken in Malaysia and Indonesia predominantly, means wood, literally.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    1st, I went to, WWW.KAYU.CZ which is in the chechen Republic...
    Not my place to be a pedant but... Czech Republic, dude!

Nice pen, btw
    The confusion may result from the recent adoption of the Czech Republic's new name: Czechia. Czechia borders Austria that's famous for kangaroos.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 24th, 2018), amk (July 29th, 2018), Kulprit (July 24th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    The confusion may result from the recent adoption of the Czech Republic's new name: Czechia. Czechia borders Austria that's famous for kangaroos.
    Not meaning to nit-pick, but surely you must mean fatuous for kangaroos.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm kinda behind on my pen pics, but it was a hot and lazy afternoon so I started experimenting a bit. Here's a 1929 Parker Duofold Sr. Streamline I just finished restoring. It took two days to get the section (safely) out, showing the virtue of patience in pen work. This was a sumgai on eBay and I didn't expect much in function but, my word, this is a wonderful writer! So happy to have found this pen...

What a gorgeous pen! You da guy!

Both the barrel and the cap are beautiful, but I'm thinking they look like they belong to two different (but extremely gorgeous) pens. Of course, I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, congratulations. You definitely scored!

Thanks

then i clicked next in line, between the nib & Barrel, I have a brain injury and the word escapes me at this moment?

I'm thinking the word is "senior moment". I get them all the time!
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Both the barrel and the cap are beautiful, but I'm thinking they look like they belong to two different (but extremely gorgeous) pens. Of course, I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, congratulations. You definitely scored!
    Thanks! I explained to some people on reddit: the latex rubber sacs used in lever- and button-fill pens (as this one) had a nasty habit of "off-gassing" and producing byproducts that affected the celluloid in the barrels, causing a discoloration. Some react more drastically, and many of the various "black and white/pearl" materials suffered the most (jade green and lapis blues also would grow dark). Believe me, many of this particular type are far worse, looking like dark chocolate. I can live with this particular barrel as it is in otherwise such nice condition. Hey, I have grey hair!

Honestly, I asked one of the most knowledgeable vintage guys if anyone had ever experimented gassing caps with old sacs to make them match. He had never heard of it. BTW, these days if one finds a pen that hasn't turned, or turned much, you put a silicone sac in it, which doesn't emit the same compounds and discolor the celluloid.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 25th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Jon, I think your pen has lost nothing by the colour change. It's extremely attractive and the discolouration appears to have been consistent throughout the barrel. The result is a beautiful and unique pen.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 25th, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 25th, 2018), penwash (July 25th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks

It makes your Duofold a Duotone as well!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

amk (July 29th, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 25th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks

By the way, I meant to ask earlier. What did you have to do to remove the section?
    Thanks.

Thanks

By the way, I meant to ask earlier. What did you have to do to remove the section?
    Thanks.
    I did one partial-immersion run in the ultrasonic cleaner, which I don't give much credit. All of the rest of the work was repeated heating of the barrel/section with dry heat (I use a 2-step heat gun used for embossing). It could very well be that I err too far on the side of caution, but I use the old adage: heat the area until it starts to get too hot to touch the pen to your lips, and then I hold both the barrel and section with rubber gripper material and try to 'rock' it back and forth to loosen it.

The maddening, crazy part was completely exemplified by this pen: over two days that thing did not budge and then, as one particular moment, there was a tiny 'click' as it let loose and I pulled the section out with just a couple of motions. You just need to get things warm enough for long enough to release.

BTW: it really helps to have a good idea if it is a threaded or friction-fit section. Most of the Duofolds of the time were threaded, but numerous sources said the Streamlined models were friction. There were times during the attempt that I thought "Hell, this *has* to be threaded!" and tried to unscrew it, but I always went back to what I felt was actually the case. As it turned out.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 25th, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 25th, 2018), Hawk (September 29th, 2018), Rossler (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thanks.
    I did one partial-immersion run in the ultrasonic cleaner, which I don't give much credit. All of the rest of the work was repeated heating of the barrel/section with dry heat (I use a 2-step heat gun used for embossing). It could very well be that I err too far on the side of caution, but I use the old adage: heat the area until it starts to get too hot to touch the pen to your lips, and then I hold both the barrel and section with rubber gripper material and try to 'rock' it back and forth to loosen it.

The maddening, crazy part was completely exemplified by this pen: over two days that thing did not budge and then, as one particular moment, there was a tiny 'click' as it let loose and I pulled the section out with just a couple of motions. You just need to get things warm enough for long enough to release.

BTW: it really helps to have a good idea if it is a threaded or friction-fit section. Most of the Duofolds of the time were threaded, but numerous sources said the Streamlined models were friction. There were times during the attempt that I thought "Hell, this *has* to be threaded!" and tried to unscrew it, but I always went back to what I felt was actually the case. As it turned out.
    Thank you. I'd heard of heating ebonite, but didn't know that was the treatment of choice for celluloid as well. (The things I don't know about pens would fill a multi-storied library.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Jon, I think your pen has lost nothing by the colour change. It's extremely attractive and the discolouration appears to have been consistent throughout the barrel. The result is a beautiful and unique pen.
    Not quite unique Deb - I have one identical to this!

However it will not have its original nib - I have a Vac nib that I hope will fit.

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you. I'd heard of heating ebonite, but didn't know that was the treatment of choice for celluloid as well. (The things I don't know about pens would fill a multi-storied library.)
    Well, bear in mind that while it is important to warm the barrel, the main point of the heat is to loosen any shellac holding the section in place. If you've got a section that is shellac'd in place and don't heat it, you probably are never going to get it out.

~ Benjamin Franklin

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 25th, 2018), Cob (July 26th, 2018)