Page 247 of 290 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Does that sound crazy??
    You're asking US?!
    Really - what was I thinking? Small problem, though. Tonight I noticed on the Lavende, there is a small crack on the grip section, starting at the nib and going about halfway up towards the threads. I haven’t dropped it, I’ve been very gentle with it, it’s practically brand new. I’m going to call Jetpens in the AM, but I’m thinking they might tell me I have to contact the company, to activate the 1 year warranty. Which means that even if they (platinum) are willing to replace the pen, it will probably take months. I’m hoping Jetpens will allow me to exchange it directly with them.
    Oh no! Terribly sorry to hear about that. It is very distressing when pens fail for no obvious reason, and despite the owner's best efforts to treat it gently. I hope you get the resolution you desire.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

This slightly taller dude on the left is the newest member of my Gold Bond stable.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (May 15th, 2021), ChrisJ (April 27th, 2021), FredRydr (April 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (April 27th, 2021), KrazyIvan (April 27th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (May 6th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (April 28th, 2021), Yazeh (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Such beautiful pens! They look to be in great condition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

penwash (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Indeed. These Gold Bond pens were well made, and I have grown quite fond of them.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This slightly taller dude on the left is the newest member of my Gold Bond stable.
    Excellent pickup, Will.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (April 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Indeed. These Gold Bond pens were well made, and I have grown quite fond of them.
    Please continue to show your beautiful acquisitions, Will. I used to buy many American pens direct from the US but the customs charges have made that too costly. Though we can buy the more common US pens, pens like your Gold Bonds and other less well-known pens were never imported here. I love to see and hear about those pens I no longer have the chance to handle.

Thanks

Please continue to show your beautiful acquisitions, Will. I used to buy many American pens direct from the US but the customs charges have made that too costly. Though we can buy the more common US pens, pens like your Gold Bonds and other less well-known pens were never imported here. I love to see and hear about those pens I no longer have the chance to handle.
    Eachan, I similarly enjoy the British vintage pens that you showcase. This is why we have a forum such as this, isn't it?
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    This bad boy arrived yesterday.
    Completely exceeded my expectations!

Attachment 60434
    This is beautiful! Did you install it on your OPUS 88?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whorne For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (May 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Just put in an order for a Franklin Christoph Model 20 'Marietta' in kaleidoscope acrylic! Been Jonesing for this model ever since Marie lent me one of hers to try, and originally was going to go for one of the muted though elegant colours (all black or vintage green) but decided to be loud and proud.

This is the pen -(image from Franklin Christoph, used for illustrative purpose only)

I've also asked for the nib to be upgraded to a Nagahara fine italic. Quite looking forward to trying that out.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

amk (May 15th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 6th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (May 6th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (May 24th, 2021), Yazeh (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

I had a couple things pop in over the last few weeks but I'm going to go with the most recent first. I had my eye on an auction with just a couple of photos and I swore it was a particular model but couldn't be certain. Leap of faith and I won the auction, the pen arrived on Monday. I got it right: a ~1935 Sheaffer OS Balance in Grey Pearl celluloid with silver trim. Condition was a bit difficult to ascertain but turned out to be remarkably good in an odd way. This pen seem to have taken about 95.6% of it's abuse on the clip! Pretty scratched and some plating loss, but in contrast to that, the body of the pen showed relatively little wear and tear. The nib is also in very good order.

Honestly, I'm posting this because I haven't had a restore go so smoothly! Tonight I was looking at it and thought "well, I'll try pulling the section". I didn't think it would go but after about 20 minutes of patient heating, it slid right out. Sac was dried in one piece, barrel was remarkably clean inside and the pressure bar showed virtually no corrosion, etc. In no time at all I had done all the steps, new sac in place and pen back together. I celebrated with a quick desktop shot (the spouse is asleep so no banging around!), and the ambient light is a bit yellow so it gives the pen more of an amber cast than normal light. Anyway, after some of the restorations that have you banging your head against the wall, this was a joy, and another OSB that I had been wanting is in the house, used but with dignity intact.

Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 6th, 2021 at 02:20 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (May 15th, 2021), Chrissy (May 11th, 2021), FredRydr (May 6th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (May 6th, 2021), mizgeorge (May 6th, 2021), penwash (May 6th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (May 24th, 2021), Yazeh (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

That is very nice. The two-tone nibs look particularly attractive to me, whether open or conical.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Jon, that's beautiful! How does it write?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ... ~1935 Sheaffer OS Balance in Grey Pearl celluloid with silver trim....
    These can be addictive. Have you started on the Vac-Fills yet?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Jon, that's beautiful! How does it write?
    Perfectly. I love these nibs and I didn't even have to tune this one. I'd say and FM line, literally nothing to adjust or change.

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ... ~1935 Sheaffer OS Balance in Grey Pearl celluloid with silver trim....
    These can be addictive. Have you started on the Vac-Fills yet?
    Hehe... One of my good friends is Stacy Hills of PaperWantsAPen. He collects (after restoring) the vac models, and joked with me that this way we'll never be in competition for the same pen. Honestly, if I wound up with each of the colors available as a lever, that would be more than enough, plus I am far more confident in my sac restores than my vac restores.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

After 11 months and 7 days, an MB 149 Calligraphy. *I ordered it at the end of May 2020, and it arrived in the first week of May 2021.

I immediately inked it up with some 1950s*Parker Washable Blue and tried*some calligraphy exercises.**It has exceeded my expectations. Yes, my vintage pens out flex it and have juicier feeds. Nevertheless, the 149 Calligraphy has enough flex to keep things interesting. Alao, the feed keeps up with me, which hasn’t always been the case with modern pens, especially the flexy ones..

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 7th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 6th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I have the new TWSBI Eco Lilac on the way from Pen Realm (Kirk Speer). He's tuned the nib for me, too.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 7th, 2021), Empty_of_Clouds (May 7th, 2021), Jon Szanto (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I have the new TWSBI Eco Lilac on the way from Pen Realm (Kirk Speer). He's tuned the nib for me, too.
    Happy for your incoming pen, even happier to see you back here!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Has arrived! I have to say that, poor photograph aside, this kaleidoscope pattern is really rather fetching. Will have to wait for some good daylight to try and capture it better. The Marietta (Model 20) maybe my favourite FC so far (the only other one I may go for is an Intrinsic) and fits my hand very well. The fine cursive italic nib by Nagahara-san is superb and very approachable. It gives a surprisingly crisp definition between down and across strokes. Couldn't be happier (well I guess I could have more pens, haha).

So that's 3 FC pens now, a special edition Model 31, this Marietta, and a Model 66P in grizzly bear (by Brooks).

I do wish that I could buy specialty nibs from FC, because it gets expensive real fast having to buy whole pens each time for just one nib.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (May 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Has arrived! I have to say that, poor photograph aside, this kaleidoscope pattern is really rather fetching. Will have to wait for some good daylight to try and capture it better. The Marietta (Model 20) maybe my favourite FC so far (the only other one I may go for is an Intrinsic) and fits my hand very well. The fine cursive italic nib by Nagahara-san is superb and very approachable. It gives a surprisingly crisp definition between down and across strokes. Couldn't be happier (well I guess I could have more pens, haha).

So that's 3 FC pens now, a special edition Model 31, this Marietta, and a Model 66P in grizzly bear (by Brooks).

I do wish that I could buy specialty nibs from FC, because it gets expensive real fast having to buy whole pens each time for just one nib.
    Looks great!

I believe you can buy nibs separately without any issues - the Nagahara grinds aren't listed on the nib unit menus, but can, I think, be requested at an additional charge. They're in the accessories bit of the website. I'm not convinced they'd be covered by the free shipping though, and that makes it almost worth buying a new pen (given what Fedex costs these days). Or buy a new pen with a couple of extra nib units...

Thanks

I didn't know about asking to buy the nibs separately. The threshold for free shipping is $100, so about 3 nibs. Something to think about. Cheers.