Page 100 of 290 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    Jon, congratulations! I've been drooling over that pen since it was revealed on Nibs.com. Which nib did you choose?
    Well, this might sound a bit pedestrian, but... While I was sitting there, having John Mottishaw dial in the nibs on two 1920's-era Sheaffers, we talked about their 20th Anniversary Realo. I told him how I had come into a Pro Gear this year with a fine nib, and it was the first fine that I really enjoyed writing with, but always knowing that my handwriting is poor enough that anything too fine brings out the... non-elegant aspects. He suggested trying the fine-medium that was available.

I did, on paper there, and after getting the pen with that setup tried it some more in the evening. The more I wrote I thought "I want this pen for heavy rotation, and I just think this is going to be too fine to be comfortable." So I went down the next day; naturally, they would be happy to change the nib to a medium (which is still a bit narrow, being a japanese nib). It turned out there weren't any at the show, could they bring one from the shop the next day? (today) Unfortunately I was coming home to San Diego, so I left the pen with them, they will put in the medium nib and just mail it to me. Wonderful people - John himself, and Jonella and David are always such a great experience. My big purchase last year was from them, and same this time. I'm good with that.

Geez, I sure can babble on. "I chose a plain medium" would have sufficed!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

reprieve (February 15th, 2015), Sketchy (February 20th, 2015), Tracy Lee (February 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    Jon, congratulations! I've been drooling over that pen since it was revealed on Nibs.com. Which nib did you choose?
    Well, this might sound a bit pedestrian, but... While I was sitting there, having John Mottishaw dial in the nibs on two 1920's-era Sheaffers, we talked about their 20th Anniversary Realo. I told him how I had come into a Pro Gear this year with a fine nib, and it was the first fine that I really enjoyed writing with, but always knowing that my handwriting is poor enough that anything too fine brings out the... non-elegant aspects. He suggested trying the fine-medium that was available.

I did, on paper there, and after getting the pen with that setup tried it some more in the evening. The more I wrote I thought "I want this pen for heavy rotation, and I just think this is going to be too fine to be comfortable." So I went down the next day; naturally, they would be happy to change the nib to a medium (which is still a bit narrow, being a japanese nib). It turned out there weren't any at the show, could they bring one from the shop the next day? (today) Unfortunately I was coming home to San Diego, so I left the pen with them, they will put in the medium nib and just mail it to me. Wonderful people - John himself, and Jonella and David are always such a great experience. My big purchase last year was from them, and same this time. I'm good with that.

Geez, I sure can babble on. "I chose a plain medium" would have sufficed!
    It would not have sufficed at all. We always need the story.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 19th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 16th, 2015), picautomaton (February 16th, 2015), reprieve (February 16th, 2015), Sketchy (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

The Pendleton Brown SE Franklin Christoph 19 arrived with it's Pendleton version of the FC Music nib:

Here's a quick spin with the nib and some Montblanc Daniel Defoe:

"Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (February 17th, 2015), Cob (February 16th, 2015), Crazyorange (February 16th, 2015), earthdawn (February 16th, 2015), farmdogfan (February 16th, 2015), Holsworth (February 17th, 2015), jadehawk (February 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 16th, 2015), pica pica (March 6th, 2015), Potter (February 18th, 2015), reprieve (February 16th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (February 16th, 2015), sgtstretch (February 16th, 2015), Silverbreeze (February 16th, 2015), Sketchy (February 20th, 2015), Tony Rex (February 18th, 2015), Tracy Lee (February 18th, 2015)

Thanks

My fiancé is getting me a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique XF if I get the promotion I'm expected to get as a gift.
    "When things fall apart, consider the possibility that life knocked it down on purpose. Not to bully you, or to punish you, but to prompt you to build something that better suits your personality and your purpose. Sometimes things fall apart so better things can fall together." - Sandra King

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TarBlue For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TarBlue View Post
    My fiancé is getting me a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique XF if I get the promotion I'm expected to get as a gift.
    Good luck TarBlue
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

TarBlue (February 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Talking Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

glasspenset2.jpg

This is my latest acquisition. I have to thank a lovely FPGeek for not letting anyone else nab it!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

ARClemmons (February 19th, 2015), Cob (February 18th, 2015), Crazyorange (February 18th, 2015), Potter (February 18th, 2015), raibtoffoletto (February 25th, 2015), VertOlive (February 18th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    The Pendleton Brown SE Franklin Christoph 19 arrived with it's Pendleton version of the FC Music nib:

Here's a quick spin with the nib and some Montblanc Daniel Defoe:

Hee hee "nib-zilla" indeed! Very nice!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 19th, 2015), earthdawn (February 18th, 2015), VertOlive (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Conway Stewart 58 Duro -- My very 1st Fountain Pen Restoration also doubling as my LA Pen Show haul for this year!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:

bluefeathers (February 18th, 2015), earthdawn (February 18th, 2015), Potter (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Picked this up at the LA Pen Show. It's a sweet little Wahl-Eversharp with a nice flexible nib and I just adore the tulip clip design.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

amk (February 21st, 2015), Cob (February 19th, 2015), Crazyorange (February 19th, 2015), earthdawn (February 18th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 19th, 2015), picautomaton (February 19th, 2015), Potter (February 19th, 2015), Sketchy (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Just got back from the LA Pen Show. I went with "ones": I bought one ink, one book, and one pen. Here's the pen*, #25 of 88 total...

It comes with one of these beautiful things in the business end...

* ... and the asterisk is because I left it with them for a nib that wasn't on-site, and I had to leave a day early, meaning that these are pics I found, not pics of my actual pen. I should have it by mid-week. This will be a sweet pen.
    I am really tempted by these, especially since orange is my favorite color. But I worry it is too big. How does it compare with a Montblanc 146 or Pelikan 400/600 size-wise?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Picked this up at the LA Pen Show. It's a sweet little Wahl-Eversharp with a nice flexible nib and I just adore the tulip clip design.
    Man, you are posting that everywhere just to annoy me!! (Nope, I just really think it's a handsome pen...)

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeathers View Post
    I am really tempted by these, especially since orange is my favorite color. But I worry it is too big. How does it compare with a Montblanc 146 or Pelikan 400/600 size-wise?
    I own neither. I would never advise people to buy a pen based on simply my usage and hands, especially when (as I said) I don't own the others. However, my suspicion is that it is not too big. Check out this review, with photos, that compares:

• MB 146
    • Sailor 1911
    • Sailor Pro Gear
    • Pel 600 (in photos for scale)

Hopefully that will give a bit more context. I do own a Sailor Pro Gear, and what I noticed was more taper on the Realo version on the barrel end. If anything, the pen is a bit less chunky. For instance (and beware the h8rs lurking in the bushes...) I prefer the CFP 20th Anniversary pen over the MB Hemingway specifically because the MB is so fat. In my hands, to my eyes, it looks bloated... like Ernest after a bender.

<sigh> The pen was delivered to my house today, very quick turn-around from Mottishaw, but I wasn't home and it needed a signature. I'll pick it up at the PO tomorrow.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

bluefeathers (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks

I have weakened. I generally prefer vintage pens. However I ordered a Pelikan Toledo 700. Will my children still respect me?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustud52 For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 20th, 2015), Scrawler (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustud52 View Post
    I have weakened. I generally prefer vintage pens. However I ordered a Pelikan Toledo 700. Will my children still respect me?
    I have preference for vintage pens, but when I saw the images of Pelikans that other members of this, and other forums, posted, I too changed my whole attitude to modern pens. A young man brought a Toledo to a pen posse meeting and let me try it. It was a revelation. Some people really do still know how to make a pen, that not only writes really well but is also beautiful to look at, in the hand. I do not know how old your kids are, but they may well gain a new respect for your aesthetic values.

Thanks

Thanks Jon, that's really helpful (especially your observations, since I don't own a Pro Gear or Pro Gear realo)! I need to go to a B & M store to try these pens
    out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I very wonderful member of this forum found a pen I'd been looking for at a very good price and clued me in... I'll leave which pen a mystery until it arrives.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Still a newbie, but I have just added 9 new pens to my collection. Now, if I could only decide on some ink to buy. (I currently only have two...Heart of Darkness and Apache Sunset.)

Jinhao 5000 Dragon golden and black. This pen was only $20, but writes so smooth. I bought it for my hubby, but I am tempted to keep it for myself. It is a heavy pen, but fits nicely in my small hand.
    IMG_8230.JPG
    I also got a rainbow of 8 Jinhao 599 as well.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424377625.740553.jpg

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARClemmons For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 19th, 2015), Bogon07 (February 19th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2015), VertOlive (February 19th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

This just through the mail slot from Fontoplumo--2015 Lamy Copper Orange Al-Star, 1.1 nib:

"Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 21st, 2015), Aleks (February 21st, 2015), klpeabody (February 21st, 2015), reprieve (February 20th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2015), sgtstretch (February 20th, 2015), Tony Rex (February 20th, 2015), writingrav (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks

I was hanging out on another forum (not an FP one, but there's an FP thread there) and I made a joke about if anyone had a spare Vanishing Point they'd want to send me. Someone actually took me seriously. She had one she wasn't using and sent to me! I got it today. Matte black. I need to get a new nib for it, as the one she sent was a broad nib and I'm an EF/F person, but Free! Vanishing! Point! I'm so happy.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transknition For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 21st, 2015), ARClemmons (February 20th, 2015), Crazyorange (February 20th, 2015), VertOlive (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default What is your latest pen acquisition?

This just through the mail slot from Fontoplumo--2015 Lamy Copper Orange Al-Star, 1.1 nib:

That's one great orange pen. Are you using the matching ink?
    Oops....just read your note. Ignore my ink question.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks

This pic might've just had me decided what color of Lamy Safari to get.
    Having ordered some Lamy nibs from Fontoplumo a couple of days ago, I then realized that 4 Lamy nibs ( bought an EF, a broad one and a 1.1 one, + got Lamy Safari F ) and only one pen = not so fun
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akapulko2020 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 21st, 2015), VertOlive (February 23rd, 2015)