Page 264 of 290 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

This was unexpected. I've seen touchdowns before, I've seen Persian blue before, I've even had a tuckaway before. But what I haven't seen before was a factory right oblique stub ("S5R") on one and it's coming soon.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

markiv (February 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (February 12th, 2022)

Thanks

I haven’t taken any pictures, but I replaced a Parker 45 grey barrel that cracked like 20 years ago. I also bought a Jinhao Confucius porcelain pen, the nib is a bit bigger than I like, but I think it’s pretty, and it’s not scratchy or off in any way. I don’t really want any of their knock off styles, but the porcelain pens have yet to remind me of anyone else’s designs. It’s dangerous to go looking for pen parts, I aleays end up with another pen, or inks, or paper….

Thanks

This cheap brass squeeze filler arrived today (verified to be a squeeze filler with my chat with Matt and his blog entry here : https://vintagependoctor.com/eagle-s...-fountain-pen/ )

The hole in the bottom of the barrel to help prevent pneumatic action when slipping the barrel back on.

The nib is a Brass Eagle Snapshot , imprinted with 1455.

I'm guessing originally the cap and section were also painted black at one point to mimic the look of hard rubber.

Not sure of the date, guessing maybe mid-1910s until 1920?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 12th, 2022), Robalone (February 4th, 2022), Scrawler (January 31st, 2022)

Thanks

Very cool

Thanks

This arrived today, section was a bit smooth to get out, noticed the sac nipple had been cleaned of any old sac (yet they left the other half of the sac down in the barrel). I imagine the pen was probably mainly displayed in the box for most of its life as only the imprint side has oxidized and has a decent cut off where it oxidized, there's also a very thin line of unoxidized black in the cap just below where the clip covers it mostly. Making me think it sat in a display indoors, with one specific directional light on it. There was no remnant of ink around the nipple or remaining sac, nor any evidence of it ever being in the cap, just in the front part of the feed and nib, so guess it was dip tested with something almost blue-green.

So was actually pretty easy to clean up, and an #18 sac seemed to be just right for it too.

And a quick write sample : https://i.imgur.com/IhfqAgm.jpg

Nib is VERY smooth but not annoyingly so and seems consistent to my touch with a little bit of semiflex give to it. Stays somewhat consistent just jotting thru but doesn't take much at all to give it a little flair.

I don't know much about the pen, and not even sure if it was 1910s or 1920s, just that the company that ran that name was Waterson and they had a habit of getting in trouble with the FTC with LE Waterman and later Sheaffer.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

amk (February 6th, 2022), da vinci (February 12th, 2022), Jon Szanto (February 12th, 2022), Robalone (February 4th, 2022), Scrawler (February 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

@ Eagle Pencil Co

Cool score !!

I've posted pics of two earlier iterations of the Eagle Pencil Co. trying their hand at FP making. The first with a glass tube cartridge, and the second with a plugged end rubber tube.....
    Yours seems to be their next in line attempt, with a proper sac ( unless that was a later addition)
    They seem to have stuck with the cheap ,thin metal casing .....
    If someone cared enough about the history of the Eagle Company, these three would be an interesting snapshot of their very first three attempts
    Last edited by Robalone; February 4th, 2022 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

I unloaded quite a few pens from the collection, opening up room for upgrades. I also found several gift cards I had forgotten about. In the past week, a Lamy Safari Terra Special Edition, a TWSBI VAC 700R and a Vac Mini, Noodler's Triple Tail and Ahab Ruby arrived. Monday a Lamy Safari Savannah Special Edition and a Noodler's Ahab Carniolan Honey should arrive. That should hold me for a while.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pencils+pens For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 6th, 2022)

Thanks

Jinhao 51A in Ebony with a Fine Number 5 nib; not the EF hooded nib version.
    I like it so far. Writes good.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ugly Old Guy For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 6th, 2022)

Thanks

IMG_5413.jpgIMG_5414.jpgIMG_5415.jpgWoo hoo.....'The Durable Pen'. In aluminium !

Well golly ! Turns out this pen tests as SOLID SILVER !!!!
    Also, the button filling system, and the sac are in perfect working order......not bad for 76 years old.
    I've had to grind the nib down as it had one broken tip, but by some magic , or luck, I've snagged it and because it's a steel nib ( inscribed Geo S Hughes etc ), with a little smoothing it now writes perfectly.
    Last edited by Robalone; February 15th, 2022 at 05:15 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

eachan (February 6th, 2022), penwash (February 6th, 2022), Scrawler (February 11th, 2022), Yazeh (February 8th, 2022)

Thanks

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

eachan (February 8th, 2022), NumberSix (March 11th, 2022), Scrawler (February 11th, 2022), Yazeh (February 8th, 2022)

Thanks

I've gotten quite a few things I haven't photographed, but the next things coming are all from Truphae, all extremely cheap. Most of them were 2.95 or 97 - whichever it is they do - two were 3.97 and one was actually( grab your pearls and gasp!) over eight dollars.

I am still working my way up to biting the bullet and buying a bunch of sacs.... These pens don't need them, obviously, but all my poor pens-in-waiting do...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 12th, 2022), markiv (February 11th, 2022), Robalone (February 11th, 2022), Scrawler (February 11th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

I've had a few of those pre-war Novums (if that's what yours is), and they are lovely writers. Beware the light celluloids.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 11th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've had a few of those pre-war Novums (if that's what yours is), and they are lovely writers. Beware the light celluloids.
    Yes that’s what it is! There are 2 small spots of degradation on the cap and barrel but Brad Torelli says it should be fine. The barrel is lined with aluminum, which makes it more difficult to repair. The mechanism is fascinating, I should have taken a picture of it when he had it apart…the lever is a cam mechanism that pushes down on a cylindrical brass piece which flexes the pressure bar.
    The nib is stupendous…the softness is otherworldly, and this one being more of a medium it feels like it has a different use case from my EF OMASes…
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

The pens arrived today and I have already had 27 dollars worth of fun with them.

I took them over to my mother's house today so we could play together. She is not necessarily a fountain pen person, but she learned her script with a dip pen in Catholic School and when she is not in a hurry can write very pretty words. She's also an artist so if she didn't feel like playing with pens and nibs and filling them and trying them out on paper, etc, we could just have used them to draw. (She could have used them to draw, and I could have used them to attempt to make pictures which - well, I just won't go there. I am the family's talentless wonder)

This weekend has begun brutally and will likely end the same, so when I have recovered - oh, maybe next week - I will post the pictures and commentary. Short form - all the pens write. Some of them write better than others.

Also - it is possible I was overthinking why the Hongdian Black Forest was not writing. I tried several things. I set it cap down for half an hour. I gently shook it a little. I gave it dirty looks. I said mean things about it. I did all this before I just opened the pen and realized I had not filled it.

*facedesk, repeatedly*.

Once I put some ink in it it worked just fine.

Surprise winner of the "This one works the best" contest to be announced when I post photos...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    You have always had great taste in pens

Thanks

My latest two are nostalgia buys: a Sheaffer 440 in Navy with a fine nib, and a Parker Classic Fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

Kiineo (February 19th, 2022), NumberSix (March 11th, 2022), Robalone (February 15th, 2022), Scrawler (February 13th, 2022)

Thanks

My latest purchase is a new Lamy 2000 EF in Stainless Steel. I'm on the fence with this one. The weight is something I need to get used to, or I will be selling. I have the same pen in Makrolon, and it is a pleasure to write with. In my defense , I did not have the opportunity to handle/write with this pen prior to purchase.

Thanks

This pen came to me earlier this week from a guy in my office. He works in a different department so I don't know him outside of today's interaction. I was writing a pen pal and we got to talking. He leaves, comes back and hands me this pen, says a friend made it and would I like it. I said thank you and accepted the gift. It has the logo of the 10th Mountain Division on it. Turns out he served in the 10th Mountain. Not a fountain pen, but so what. Pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (February 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

This arrived today for trade.

It's currently 1 of 4 of the hard rubber pens I have (not counting a 5th if I can just get a slip cap for that little Conklin on the far left).

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

amk (February 23rd, 2022), Bisquitlips (March 3rd, 2022), da vinci (February 26th, 2022), fountainpenkid (February 24th, 2022), FredRydr (February 22nd, 2022), Prettypenguin (February 23rd, 2022), pyiyha (February 22nd, 2022), Scrawler (February 25th, 2022), Yazeh (February 22nd, 2022)