Page 280 of 290 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,600 of 5796

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

The Lotts are great- I always look there first for any parts I need. So I have follow up questions- what size/ type of nib is this? I cannot tell from the pictures- other than in the picture that shows the underside, it looks like it has a bit of a upward angle where the tipping starts. Also in general, is there a way to tell the width of a Sheaffer nib other than to write with it? I have one pen that while I know it’s a broad, there’s something about the way it writes that makes me think it’s not just a broad nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,755 Posts

That nib looks stubbish to me.

A further word on that Jinhao 82... I was so happy with my first Jinhao 80 ( you know, the one that's supposed to emulate the Lamy 2000 but really doesn't) that it hasn't been de-inked yet. I bought a second, with similar results.

O welz. Ten dolla pen. Somehow it will work.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 578 Posts

[QUOTE=Jon Szanto;386012]
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've been collecting and using Sheaffer Oversize Balance pens, and specifically the lever fill models. I'm about 75% of the way to a complete set (all 12 materials) ...
    Which ones are missing?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I've been collecting and using Sheaffer Oversize Balance pens, and specifically the lever fill models. I'm about 75% of the way to a complete set (all 12 materials) ...
    Which ones are missing?
    Carmine, Marine Green (the striated, not the pearl) and Grey Pearl.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Which ones are missing?
    Carmine, Marine Green (the striated, not the pearl) and Grey Pearl.
    Hi Jon, there’s a marine green that looks striated on the bay right now. No real description so I can’t tell the size, but it might be worth looking into.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17556104065...wAAOSwqhpjtcg4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypenguin View Post
    Hi Jon, there’s a marine green that looks striated on the bay right now. No real description so I can’t tell the size, but it might be worth looking into.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17556104065...wAAOSwqhpjtcg4
    Yes, thank you, but that isn't the same model pen I am looking for. The group I am putting together are all Oversize Balance (called Premiere in later years) that were made from the late 1920s through the 1930s. They are the largest of the Sheaffer Balance line, and have a number of variations, most notably in the clip, and then the section and nib style. These are all "Lifetime" pens and sport a Sheaffer white dot.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (January 5th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Had three different pens in shopping carts today, but returned each one to the shelf before hitting "purchase." Successfully vanquished the demogorgon today. Live to fight again tomorrow.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

amk (January 14th, 2023), Deb (January 4th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 4th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (January 5th, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 5th, 2023), Robalone (January 17th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I was not victorious against said demigorgon- I bought a Sheaffer 12k gold filled pen. I think it’s a 777, but will post better pictures when it arrives. If you know for sure what model it is, please chime in. Pictures are screenshots from the listing on the Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 13th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 13th, 2023), pyiyha (March 31st, 2023), Scrawler (January 13th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I am afraid to say for fear I will jinx the delivery that has already been delayed one day.

Stand by for news!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 358 Posts

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

amk (January 19th, 2023), ArchiMark (January 18th, 2023), Deb (January 17th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 17th, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 19th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 18th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

I was not victorious against said demigorgon- I bought a Sheaffer 12k gold filled pen. I think it’s a 777, but will post better pictures when it arrives. If you know for sure what model it is, please chime in. Pictures are screenshots from the listing on the Bay.

Best resource i know of for identifying these is here:
    http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperia...ef%20List.html

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

ArchiMark (January 18th, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 19th, 2023)

Thanks

Latest (to actually arrive, a couple just snagged this morning) is a Moore desk pen for my Moore collection. While I don't often pick up dp's, this looked nice in their grey striated celluloid. As often the case, the 70-80+ year old nib was in very nice shape and a lovely writer. A quick re-saccing and it is already in service, using an old Sheaffer tulip. (Sorry, the pic's a bit fuzzed. Eye surgery in a couple months may help in the future!)

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (January 19th, 2023), Blue Note (January 18th, 2023), catbert (January 19th, 2023), Cyril (January 19th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (January 18th, 2023), Kgbenson (January 19th, 2023), mizgeorge (January 18th, 2023), pyiyha (January 23rd, 2023), Robalone (January 18th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 19th, 2023), Scrawler (January 28th, 2023), usk15 (January 18th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Very nice, Jon. Did it come with the holder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    Very nice, Jon. Did it come with the holder?
    Thanks, and no, it was the bare pen. It fits very well in an old Sheaffer tulip. Considering it might be the first Moore desk pen I've seen, I'm not holding my breath for the base! I think it was on this same search I saw a couple of pages of advertizing from old magazines for sale, one of which showed Moore pens. They never produced catalogs, so imagine my surprise when I saw the ad and saw a couple model pens illustrated that I have never seen at all.

The hunt is on!

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (January 18th, 2023)

Thanks

Platinum President in UEF with the two tone nib. I like it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Best resource i know of for identifying these is here:
    http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperia...ef%20List.html
    Thanks, that’s where I found what little I know. So many blue links turned purple on that list! There’s pictures on the reference list, but not much else. No year of production or anything else. It got here on Tuesday so here it is on my desk. I can’t recall where I saw Sheaffer catalogs uploaded online, but I will look around for them to see if I can find anything else about them. I did confirm it’s a 777 with the photo reference, as the only other 12k gf pen is a Touchdown filler, and this is definitely not one of those.

Edit: I did find a year of production on SheafferTarga’s history write up section- 1974 it looks like. I also found the Sheaffer reference section at PCA, but there was nothing for 1974.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prettypenguin; January 19th, 2023 at 10:30 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 28th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Edit: I did find a year of production on SheafferTarga’s history write up section- 1974 it looks like. I also found the Sheaffer reference section at PCA, but there was nothing for 1974.
    Just be aware that, unlike date codes for pens like the Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer doesn't have any hard and fast rules. Barring any slight changes to a particular model that would phase in at a certain time, the best you get are the year of introduction through when the pen was dropped from the lineup. "Circa" is the operating term.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (January 19th, 2023)

Thanks

Just be aware that, unlike date codes for pens like the Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer doesn't have any hard and fast rules. Barring any slight changes to a particular model that would phase in at a certain time, the best you get are the year of introduction through when the pen was dropped from the lineup. "Circa" is the operating term.
    That makes sense, Jon. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

Jon...you bought another pen?! Tsk Tsk Tsk.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 19th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 19th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Jon...you bought another pen?! Tsk Tsk Tsk.
    As far as I can tell, there is no corresponding "What is your latest pen sale?" thread. Of course, your point is well taken.

~ Benjamin Franklin