Page 284 of 290 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,680 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    My first Maki-e: Platinum Preppy Wa Modern Waki-e Fukura Suzume LE. $11 at Goulet 🤣
    Don't tempt me. 😉
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (March 24th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,889 Times in 1,434 Posts

my latest acqusition is a....Parker Wood pen from 1980.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (March 24th, 2023), catbert (March 18th, 2023), FredRydr (March 18th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (March 25th, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 25th, 2023), mizgeorge (March 18th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 28th, 2023), usk15 (March 18th, 2023), Yazeh (March 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    My first Maki-e: Platinum Preppy Wa Modern Waki-e Fukura Suzume LE. $11 at Goulet 🤣
    Don't tempt me. 😉
    Sorry….but they are lovely little plastic maki-e jelly beans, with an inoffensive and smooth nib. I’ll probably need a couple more!
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 24th, 2023 at 10:34 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 25th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post

That's a new one on me. Very interesting and very pretty. Good find.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Oh, great - a pen that can get termites!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 25th, 2023)

Thanks

The latest acquisitions - to be on the premises - are two Sheaffer WASP pens from the 1930s. I picked up a pen/pencil set, in what is commonly called "circuit board" celluloid, last August at the PCA Auction at the SF pen show. Not a pen I had chased, it was for a good cause, but it got my curiosity when I had them, even while they were the junior size.

So I kept my eye out and at the turn of the year I landed two different pens in silver pearl (the actual catalog name), one a Standard and the other their biggest, the Large (which has an eye-catching jeweler's band). I took them to the LA pen show and handed off to a friend who is an expert Sheaffer plunger restoration guy. I just got them back a couple of days ago and... wow. Here are a couple of pics he took for me, and also an in-progress, in-barrel photo showing the great work he does cleaning up to attain maximum transparency. Very pleased for this micro-mini collection of WASPs that seems to be occurring. (Careful observers may have a question on one small detail...)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (April 26th, 2023), catbert (March 26th, 2023), christof (March 30th, 2023), fountainpenkid (March 25th, 2023), FredRydr (March 30th, 2023), pyiyha (March 31st, 2023), Robalone (March 31st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 25th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 28th, 2023), usk15 (March 25th, 2023), VertOlive (March 25th, 2023), Yazeh (March 25th, 2023)

Thanks

I bought a Jinhao X159 orange, it skipped a lot at the beginning. When I washed it before using it, blue ink residue came out, maybe they tested it? Anyway, I flushed the previous ink fill, gave it a second wash and filled it with Aurora Black. The skipping has slowly stopped. It is similar, in size, to my MB 149
    I also got a Parker 75 Sterling Silver Cisele, nice little pen and a good writer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoA64 View Post
    I bought a Jinhao X159 orange, it skipped a lot at the beginning. When I washed it before using it, blue ink residue came out, maybe they tested it? Anyway, I flushed the previous ink fill, gave it a second wash and filled it with Aurora Black. The skipping has slowly stopped. It is similar, in size, to my MB 149
    I also got a Parker 75 Sterling Silver Cisele, nice little pen and a good writer.
    I have tested several X159 recently and every one had been dip tested with blue ink. The first thing to do with this pen is to flush it thoroughly before filling first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

838C94FE-5E97-405E-BAEB-E885CF40D493.jpeg
    This is not a Vacumatic. The celluloid is actually far more interesting in its irregularity and thr base color of transparent blue (a bit like a “Ripley” Vac). The nib reminds me of a very flexible Waterman’s somehow—nothing like the feel of a contemporary OMAS.
    62DF3F9A-281D-4B9D-BF56-DEA13D710C1E.jpeg
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

amk (April 26th, 2023), Blue Note (March 30th, 2023), catbert (March 30th, 2023), FredRydr (March 30th, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2023), markiv (March 31st, 2023), pyiyha (March 31st, 2023), Scrawler (March 30th, 2023), usk15 (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Fill it with:

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

christof (March 30th, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2023), Robalone (March 31st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (April 1st, 2023), Scrawler (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Send in the Clowns!

I have a thing for oddball, clownish pens, and one of the great repositories is the plethora of 3rd-tier pen companies from the Golden Era of the 30s-40s Wild and wacky celluloids ruled, and I snap them up on a whim, like this one

So I got the below pen, a true "no-name" and it got to me 3 days ago. Yesterday, my artist pal, Jeff B, posted an oil he did in 2008 titled "She Dreams of Chaparral Shoes" and it floored me how similar the vibes and palettes were. I had to commemorate the serendipity, but the only way was truly quick-and-dirty: the pen is hovering over the artwork, which is being displayed on my iPad - not an easy shot. Enjoy the riot of color, and go check out the wonderwork of Jeffrey Beauchamp (on Instagram as @jeffreybeauchampart).

Last edited by Jon Szanto; April 6th, 2023 at 03:56 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (April 26th, 2023), catbert (March 30th, 2023), fountainpenkid (March 30th, 2023), pyiyha (March 31st, 2023), Robalone (March 31st, 2023), Scrawler (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Very cool.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    This is not a Vacumatic.
    Boy, I'll say - what a magnificent specimen! Before I realized it was one of the Italians, I almost thought that was a Valentine-type nib from the Newhaven (UK) factory. I love it, thank you for sharing.

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 30th, 2023), Scrawler (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This is not a Vacumatic.
    Boy, I'll say - what a magnificent specimen! Before I realized it was one of the Italians, I almost thought that was a Valentine-type nib from the Newhaven (UK) factory. I love it, thank you for sharing.
    Ah I hadn't thought of that! I remembered Valentines for their wavy celluloid but forgot some share the long "scooped out" tines of this Williamson. It is quite a look, and one of the many ways to achieve (or probably more accurately, enhance?) flexibility.
    Will

Thanks

Default Re: Send in the Clowns!

I have a thing for oddball, clownish pens, and one of the great repositories is the plethora of 3rd-tier pen companies from the Golden Era of the 30s-40s Wild and wacky celluloids ruled, and I snap them up on a whim, like this one

So I got the below pen, a true "no-name" and it got to me 3 days ago. Yesterday, my artist pal, Jeff B, posted an oil he did in 2008 titled "She Dreams of Chaparral Shoes" and it floored me how similar the vibes and palettes were. I had to commemorate the serendipity, but the only way was truly quick-and-dirty: the pen is hovering over the artwork, which is being displayed on my iPad - not an easy shot. Enjoy the riot of color, and go check out the wonderwork of Jeffrey Beauchamp (on Instagram as @jeffreybeauchampart).

Wow! I've never seen anything from that era with such an range of colors and patterns--even more of a range than the OMAS clown pen (at least the modern version). Have you?
    Will

Thanks

Ah I hadn't thought of that! I remembered Valentines for their wavy celluloid but forgot some share the long "scooped out" tines of this Williamson. It is quite a look, and one of the many ways to achieve (or probably more accurately, enhance?) flexibility.
    It reminded me of this pen's nib, which I found last year:

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

... Enjoy the riot of color, and go check out ....
    Its bright colors have survived amazingly. What is it made of?

Thanks

Wow! I've never seen anything from that era with such an range of colors and patterns--even more of a range than the OMAS clown pen (at least the modern version). Have you?
    Yeah, this caught my eye, even with two other pens vying for attention. I think there were probably a lot of these crazies at the time, as evidence below from another I got last year, paired with a contemporary Leonardo in one of Jon Brooke's materials. There are the stories about all the leftover pieces, put down on a slab and melted at the end of the week to make new sheets (you can see on the barrel of today's post where the spiral wrapping shows). There was a fine collector, Dan DeMaio, who had a lot of variants on the off-beat pens of that era; sadly, he passed away last year.

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 30th, 2023), markiv (March 31st, 2023), pyiyha (March 31st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Fred, your guess is as good as mine. I have a very, very, very hard time delineating the various terms/materials from the era. I never know for sure if it is celluloid or what, and I've never gotten good answers as to how to tell. I can say that there are quite a few different pieces in this amalgam of plastics - are they even all the same?

Honestly, this is an area I would love to research.

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Fred, your guess is as good as mine. I have a very, very, very hard time delineating the various terms/materials from the era. I never know for sure if it is celluloid or what, and I've never gotten good answers as to how to tell. I can say that there are quite a few different pieces in this amalgam of plastics - are they even all the same?

Honestly, this is an area I would love to research.
    I wonder who bought them.
    Will