Page 286 of 290 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,720 of 5792

Thread: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest pen acquisition?

Platinum 70th anniversary (1989) in Calico celluloid:

P1070491-blog-2-1-cl.jpg

(The green one was already at home).

Wonderful piston fillers...

Cheers,

BT
    Iosepus aka Bruno Taut

http://estilofilos.blogspot.com

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to iosepus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (May 1st, 2023), catbert (April 30th, 2023), christof (April 30th, 2023), da vinci (July 11th, 2023), forester (July 9th, 2023), fountainpenkid (April 29th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 30th, 2023), Jon Szanto (April 29th, 2023), Nyoko (April 30th, 2023), Robalone (May 1st, 2023), Scrawler (May 1st, 2023), Yazeh (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoko View Post
    It seems like hardly any modern pen will write like the vintage ones. But your Scribo’s resin is really beautiful!
    This is the closest I’ve used to a soft vintage nib—it isn’t mushy, it has real give, and it actually seems designed to be used in an expressive manner. The flow has gotten better after a day too. The material is interesting…I wish it had more amber (as it did in the pictures) and more subtlety and nuance to it, but people have responded very positively to seeing it.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

My latest, Omas Lucens 1930's
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pyiyha For This Useful Post:

amk (July 10th, 2023), Carpio (July 10th, 2023), catbert (July 9th, 2023), christof (July 9th, 2023), forester (July 9th, 2023), fountainpenkid (July 10th, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 9th, 2023), Prettypenguin (July 10th, 2023), Robalone (July 10th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (July 23rd, 2023), Yazeh (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Latest? Well... I'm very far behind the curve! This great collab came my way a couple of weeks ago. It's a limited edition by mondo artist Joey Feldman in conjunction with Franklin-Christoph. Joey chose a model 66 Stabilis for the body, and they made up an acrylic in his fave orange/black combo. Those aren't scratches on the flat side of the barrel, but his signature, on pen #21/24.

I paired the pen with a previous Nagahara/FC "shadow" cursive italic. The enamel pin at the top is Joey's iconic "Plague Doctor", and the background art is the frontispiece to "The Frank Book" by artist Jim Woodring. Totally fun stuff! When I get a chance, I'll take some shots with other Joey art. He's a great pen lover, and while I may post a lot of vintage... SUPPORT YOUR LIVING ARTISTS!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (July 10th, 2023), Carpio (July 10th, 2023), catbert (July 10th, 2023), Cyril (July 13th, 2023), forester (July 10th, 2023), kazoolaw (July 10th, 2023), Prettypenguin (July 10th, 2023), pyiyha (July 11th, 2023), Robalone (July 10th, 2023), usk15 (July 10th, 2023), Yazeh (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Very nice, BT & Jon.
    When it gets here, this is my latest 'Swan' to the bird sanctuary.
    1513b.jpg1513.jpg
    Mabie Todd Swan No 1513 in Chased Black Hard Rubber. In Perfect Condition. Fitted with the original 14kt gold, full flex, wet noodle, Split feed medium tipped nib giving a wonderful writing style.
    c1918

,... and arriving tomorrow, I bought a - Jinhao X159 Ivory White Acrylic Fountain Pen Gold Trim, Large #8 Fine Nib Office Pen, purely for learning how to write posh. I've never had/used a flexi nib, and I would be most upset if I damaged a 'collection' pen owing to pressing too hard. I would be annoyed if I damaged this pen, but not so much.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 10th, 2023), forester (July 21st, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 10th, 2023), pyiyha (July 11th, 2023), Robalone (August 2nd, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (July 27th, 2023), Yazeh (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks

I spent the weekend volunteering and shopping at the PNW Pen Show. It was amazing. I had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time with all the exhibitors and learn about their craft, and their own collections. I didn’t go too wild, just bought 3 pens, but one is a pen that I have wanted since I first saw it in the Jeweler’s display case- a Parker 75 Ciselé. I found a vermeil one and it’s so beautiful! I also bought a Brazilian 45 Insignia and a green toothbrush Duofold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 10th, 2023), catbert (July 10th, 2023), forester (July 21st, 2023), FredRydr (July 10th, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 10th, 2023), usk15 (July 10th, 2023), Yazeh (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypenguin View Post
    I didn’t go too wild...
    Maybe not, but you chose very wisely! A very handsome 3-pen group, congrats!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Latest? Well... I'm very far behind the curve! This great collab came my way a couple of weeks ago. It's a limited edition by mondo artist Joey Feldman in conjunction with Franklin-Christoph. Joey chose a model 66 Stabilis for the body, and they made up an acrylic in his fave orange/black combo. Those aren't scratches on the flat side of the barrel, but his signature, on pen #21/24.

I paired the pen with a previous Nagahara/FC "shadow" cursive italic. The enamel pin at the top is Joey's iconic "Plague Doctor", and the background art is the frontispiece to "The Frank Book" by artist Jim Woodring. Totally fun stuff! When I get a chance, I'll take some shots with other Joey art. He's a great pen lover, and while I may post a lot of vintage... SUPPORT YOUR LIVING ARTISTS!!

I'm curious, Jon. When you dip a pen like that with the threads at the nib-end of the section, do those threads tend to collect ink in them? Are they difficult to keep clean?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm curious, Jon. When you dip a pen like that with the threads at the nib-end of the section, do those threads tend to collect ink in them? Are they difficult to keep clean?
    Good question, T. In a nutshell, that hasn't been an issue for me.

FC uses these 'square threads' (there must be an actual name for the cut) on their pens, some in the traditional place and a few models at the front of the section. These are really comfortable for those who don't care for feeling threads under their fingers. In practice, I've never had issues with ink collecting/drying in the threads, and I have probably 3 pens in this format. Certainly ease to dab out and wipe off with a damp something or other, but it doesn't seem - in use - to be any more of a bug than ink that creeps to the edge of a standard section.

And as for filling, well... I just got used to using syringes years ago, and it is the way I fell every time I can. Fill the converter, put it in the section, put a couple of drops on the underside to the nib to 'prime' it, and no ink wasted, none on my hands or pen, and one or two fills with water and the syringe is clean.

The other nice thing about these threads is they close with conviction, and open with less revolutions than standard-cut threads. I like them.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 10th, 2023 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo correction

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2023), TSherbs (July 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

FC uses these 'square threads' (there must be an actual name for the cut)
    They’re ACME threads (no coyotes involved, thankfully). There is an ASTM specification, which these probably don’t meet; but that’s the generic term for that style (flat crest and root).
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Good question, T. In a nutshell, that hasn't been an issue for me.

FC uses these 'square threads' (there must be an actual name for the cut) on their pens, some in the traditional place and a few models at the front of the section. These are really comfortable for those who don't care for feeling threads under their fingers. In practice, I've never had issues with ink collecting/drying in the threads, and I have probably 3 pens in this format. Certainly ease to dab out and wipe off with a damp something or other, but it doesn't seem - in use - to be any more of a bug than ink that creeps to the edge of a standard section.

And as for filling, well... I just got used to using syringes years ago, and it is the way I fell every time I can. Fill the converter, put it in the section, put a couple of drops on the underside to the nib to 'prime' it, and no ink wasted, none on my hands or pen, and one or two fills with water and the syringe is clean.

The other nice thing about these threads is they close with conviction, and open with less revolutions than standard-cut threads. I like them.
    Thanks, Jon. I think I would like them, too. I have yet to try one. Maybe on my next trip to Boston (downtown), I will stop in at the Appleboom Pens Shop there and see what they have....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

These two I got yesterday from an Antique store near the in-laws for 12 each. I thought the gold-filled one was generic at first with a MT nib, but turns out it's an American made "Swan Pen" possibly from the early 1920s. The Parker 45 has the original converter, and a 14K Medium nib.

Already got them cleaned up and sac'd (converter has a PVC sac now as well).

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2023), christof (July 24th, 2023), Cyril (July 13th, 2023), dneal (July 11th, 2023), forester (July 21st, 2023), FredRydr (July 11th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 12th, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 21st, 2023), usk15 (July 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Love the Mabie Todd, and good to see you back Karl.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Local Antique Store Find, the persian blue touchdown (again, this time the non-white dot model with a FT#5), and an Esterbrook 9668 nib.

Had it all disassembled, cleaned, polished up, and sac'd... til I realized, I only have the larger o-rings left... gonna have to wait til I can get some small o-rings 😕 (gonna be like 20 just to get some and shipping)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

amk (July 29th, 2023), catbert (July 21st, 2023), christof (July 24th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Local Antique Store Find, the persian blue touchdown (again, this time the non-white dot model with a FT#5), and an Esterbrook 9668 nib.

Had it all disassembled, cleaned, polished up, and sac'd... til I realized, I only have the larger o-rings left... gonna have to wait til I can get some small o-rings 😕 (gonna be like 20 just to get some and shipping)
    Found my little baggie of o-rings...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Kgbenson (August 1st, 2023), pyiyha (September 7th, 2023), Yazeh (July 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Also found it with two original parker squeeze converters (the thicker originals) which I'll probably re-sac with PVC at a later time.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 26th, 2023), Scrawler (August 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (July 27th, 2023)

Thanks

I got these two pens from ebay:
    Conway Stewart 14 in blue and black pattern and matching 'Nippy' N.3 pencil in box
    Black Sheaffer Snorkel Stateman White dot with box that I had to resac

IMG_5699.jpeg

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcoA64 For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 27th, 2023), Yazeh (July 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Probably won't keep but got it on a whim to see if I could fix it up, and it's been a while since I saw a Moore pop up locally.

Also another Blue Touchdown in more or less user-grade condition that was heavily coated in dried ink inside. Currently cleaned and disassembled (I don't normally knock the nib/feed out on these, but wanted to get the feed and grip into the USC with the amount of heavy ink was on it). Mainly grabbed it because the nib point was on the thicker side and I usually end up with EFs on this model.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

christof (July 28th, 2023), fountainpenkid (August 1st, 2023), Scrawler (August 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Finally got a “mate” for my extra vest pocket. I think this one is earlier because it has no ink window and a patent under the “OMAS Extra” imprint. It’s still so charming even with the ambering.
    IMG_5534.jpegIMG_5535.jpeg
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 31st, 2023), christof (August 1st, 2023), Jon Szanto (July 31st, 2023), pyiyha (September 7th, 2023)

Thanks

These were impulsive, they're not pens... but they relate to what I already have as companions of pens (now if I can just find the Wahl Pen that matches the Colonnade of the pencil...), saw the pattern and had to add it with my Wahl Gold-filled Pens and Pencils. So this is on the way.

And this is what I found at the local Antique place for under $10 today (not shown are the modern ones in the same baggie), I like the red top Eversharps usually, these are blue leads though (though my favorite is the 'wet noodle' stock from legendary lead company). A bit of an impulse as I don't need em really, but I do have fineline pencils and Eversharp Gold-filled and Hard rubber pencils, and just one of these tins fully stocked goes for about that much.

So I guess today was impulse pen-companion day.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 3rd, 2023), fountainpenkid (August 2nd, 2023), Scrawler (August 3rd, 2023)