Thread: Pen Clearance - Pilot, Edison, Sailor, Lamy

Thanks

Default Pen Clearance - Pilot, Edison, Sailor, Lamy

I'm purging the collection of non-users again and found some interesting stuff:

Sailor Pro Gear with rhodium plated 21k Nagahara cross point - I had a jeweler do the rhodium plating to match the trim. Pen writes beautifully. $1100 OBO.

Pilot Custom 92 14k B nib - another smooth writer. $115 OBO. I have a rhodium plated 14k Welty music nib I can add for another $125 ($225 total).

Edison Glenmont in flecked sapphire with 18k 1.1 - Beautiful pen that never saw much use. $315 OBO.

Lamy Safari Petrol B - Swapped to stainless steel B nib instead of black nib. $30 OBO.

Lamy Studio 14k OB - Dipped but never inked. $150 OBO.

Feel free to reach out with any questions and any reasonable offers. Not looking for trades other than Conids or Pelikans. Prices include CONUS shipping, please contact me for international shipping rates.

Please find link to photos here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mori45 For This Useful Post:

Woody (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Clearance - Pilot, Edison, Sailor, Lamy

That is a huge markup for a cross point. Is there a reason for it? Cross point in a pro gear was 535 new. It is not being made at this time, but that would lead to a price of 600 or 700.
    How much does it cost to custom plate a nib? Was that part of the price determination?

Thanks

Yes--a). Neither the cross point not the orange demonstrator are in production and b). It's my pen and I priced it as I saw fit.

It's extremely disrespectful to argue price in a sales post. If you have questions on price, PM the seller.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mori45 For This Useful Post:

heraclitus682 (March 12th, 2018), Woody (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mori45 View Post
    Yes--a). Neither the cross point not the orange demonstrator are in production and b). It's my pen and I priced it as I saw fit.

It's extremely disrespectful to argue price in a sales post. If you have questions on price, PM the seller.
    Yup, I agree with this. Too many people with one, two, or three posts here wanting to disrupt sales posts for no conceivable reason.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

Mori45 (March 17th, 2018)

Thanks

To ask to clarify pricing seems to be part of the nature of selling. You have clarified, and now anyone who looks at this post understands why it is at the price it is. Asking double MSRP is worth explaining. And may be justified, especially with the cost of plating the nib.

Rude/disruptive? If that is your evaluation of a pertinent question asked, then I cannot do anything about that.

Good luck with your sale.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ndrwcn For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 14th, 2018), dannzeman (March 14th, 2018), Laura N (March 14th, 2018), Pterodactylus (March 14th, 2018), top pen (March 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ndrwcn View Post
    Rude/disruptive? If that is your evaluation of a pertinent question asked, then I cannot do anything about that.
    You could:

a). Ask privately instead of publicly accusing me of inflating the price, and/or

b). Research - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&LH_Complete=1

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Ron Zorn lists Rhodium plating of a nib from 35$ ongoing based on effort.
    So replating the nib canīt make much difference.

Asking why an item is priced as it is is a legitim question also in a sales thread.
    Too many people want to make big bucks with newbies which do not have any clue about a realistic value of an item.
    If there are reasons for the specific price point it should be easy to share these with the community.
    No reason to react the way you did, except maybe you donīt have an answer to the question.

Just for the records, I have no clue what would be a reasonable price for this specific pen by myself, but your reaction disqualified you imo as a seller.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 14th, 2018)

Thanks

A lot of sellers are way too sensitive with these things. You put your stuff up for sale in a community forum, so be prepared for an occasional inquiry.

Thanks

I agree that censorship is terrible, but it is bad taste to bad mouth, similar to walking to a on going church and shouting "GOD IS DEAD" I mean, really? Mind your own business.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drummergeorge For This Useful Post:

Mori45 (March 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Some forums simply shut off the ability to respond in the sales forum. That forces everyone to go through dm with inquiries or offers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dante231 For This Useful Post:

Mori45 (March 17th, 2018), Woody (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mori45 View Post

Anyone who tries to sell a used pen over the MSRP will face this, so you shouldn't be surprised. Should have thought about it before. Not to mention that this isn't the market price for it even though the production is suspended.

Thanks

Cool Re: Pen Clearance - Pilot, Edison, Sailor, Lamy

2Ē incoming...

If you post a price, and it is one which is likely to challenge others' sensibilities, then you should expect a reasonably challenging response, both from buyers attempts to haggle and the general community at large.

The Cross Point is arguably (please don't argue) one of the most usable of Sailor's speciality nibs - I would reckon a normal iteration, without the extra plating and limited edition body and because of the shortage of new supply, would command at least what the current MSRP of a standard CP nibbed model would be if they were currently available.

Thanks

I wonder how many people write to/ask Apple or makers of other overpriced items why their products cost as much as they do. I bet the answer you would get in the most simplified way is - it is what it is, take it or leave it! IMO, they're duping everyone out there by charging what they charge for their products.

MSRP is a price suggested by the manufacturer, it is not necessarily an indicator of the actual value of the item. The value of the item to a buyer is what the buyer is willing to pay, only then can they be satisfied. Someone said that the price of the listed Pro-gear should be around 600-700. By all means, find one at that price and buy it, everyone's happy! No one's forcing anyone to buy here, right? If no one buys at the asking price, the seller may (or may not) reduce the price. It's their pen after all and they can ask what they find appropriate.

If anyone is so worried about newbie buyers, they're all over the place. Just like how one should be wary of sellers on craigslist, they should be wary here as well if they're new and don't know how things work here. Also, just as there are newbie buyers, there are newbie sellers. Do you openly tell them that their stuff is severely under-priced or (if all is good with the pen) waste no time, pull out the wallet and buy that pen before someone else does?
    Last edited by s_t_e_v_e; March 22nd, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s_t_e_v_e For This Useful Post:

heraclitus682 (March 22nd, 2018), SIR (March 22nd, 2018), Woody (March 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

I think this fella deserves a bump.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_t_e_v_e View Post
    Also, just as there are newbie buyers, there are newbie sellers. Do you openly tell them that their stuff is severely under-priced or (if all is good with the pen) waste no time, pull out the wallet and buy that pen before someone else does?
    Internet winning comment right there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_t_e_v_e View Post

Also, just as there are newbie buyers, there are newbie sellers. Do you openly tell them that their stuff is severely under-priced or (if all is good with the pen) waste no time, pull out the wallet and buy that pen before someone else does?
    Other things in your post weren't really relevant for me: not interested in the pen or the nib, don't care about the price either. Pro gear is too small for me anyway. I merely posted because of that 'disrespectful' comment made earlier.

As for what I quoted from your post: last year, someone offered a Nakaya in Ishime finish to me for about $500. One fill used, with box. I declined and asked him to raise the price to at least $900-1000.
    Screw whomever you want to screw. But at least don't screw the people in the hobby.

A balance has to be maintained. You can't pay to much or too less. You pay just the right amount of compensation.

Thanks

Well, it's the same pen with the same price.