Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Default Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

After dropping out of the Wancher Dream pen project I decided that I needed to check out some Japanese pens with Japanese nibs. As there are no pen clubs nor shows where I live, that means buying and trying. I had already tried Platinum preppies and Pilot Metropolitan so I was ready to try out a mid level pen. After reading a ton of reviews I decided on a Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue. The results were disappointing.

Platinum3776.jpg

Disappointed: "Sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's expectations."

When I opened up the box I was unpleasantly surprised at the (IMO) awful gold trim. It looks like gold painted plastic and, quite frankly, seems to look very cheap. The Chartres blue body looks very nice but the gold trim is garishly distracting. The picture I have attached does not adequately illustrate the displeasingly bright gold trim.

The nib is OK. It starts up without problem and has a nice medium line. It is smooth with a bit of feedback, but not as spectacular as some reviews would make you believe. Maybe if I had bought this as my first pen I would be more enthusiastic but after using a lot of vintage Pelikan pens the stiff Platinum nib is just plain boring. Although the nib did not meet my admittedly high expectations it is functional and adequate. If it were not for the awful gold trim I would probably keep this pen.

So I guess I'll have to sell this one and try another Japanese pen manufacturer. In my search I read a lot of good things about Pilot Custom 74. However I'm afraid the gold trim may look as gaudy as the Platinum 3776. Anyone with both pens would care to comment? Anyone have a comparison photo?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

dfo (March 18th, 2018), Rossler (April 6th, 2018), Zhivago (April 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

Gosh, different strokes for different folks because I have this pen and I love it. It is with me always simply because it never dries out and writes perfectly every time.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ambimom For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 23rd, 2018), carlos.q (March 18th, 2018), Cyril (March 18th, 2018), Frank (March 18th, 2018), jodylud (March 19th, 2018), rgperedo (April 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Fear not the hold plating wears off in weeks lol.
    I find mine to be a reliable work horse pen, but signs of cost cutting are there. But for the money I think they are a decent pen with a gold nib.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 18th, 2018), mikey_abz (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I own six 3776 pens, from basic black up into the celluloids. I find they please me and are an exceptional value.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 23rd, 2018), carlos.q (March 18th, 2018), Cyril (March 18th, 2018), Frank (March 18th, 2018), jodylud (March 19th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks

It might be worth trying one with the rhodium trim and an SF nib... I will warn you though... after writing with a pelikan fine that thing is going to feel scratchy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to billy1380 For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I have a burgundy one with an SF nib. There is quite a bit of feedback which I like. This pen has never been out of use since I got it. Tremendous value for the money.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

I have not found the gold trim to wear away but then I've only owned the Platinum 3776 gold trim pens for a decade or two.

Take a look at the Sailor and Pilot pens, both come with non gold furniture as well as gold furniture. Of the ones available I find the Sailor and Pilot Custom Heritage pocket clips to work and the Pilot Custom pocket clips near useless.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Somehow (how?), I currently have 4 of these pens. have a early Gathered pen w/ Waterman-esque Belly band & an ebonite feed in B, a burgundy with a Music Nib that is the most fun you can have with your pants on, a Sai demo in B and a Chartres Blue with the rhodium trim in M. All four are absolutely fantastic writers. They punch way above their weight. I keep hearing how folks find these "cheap" feeling. I don't. I think the fit and finish and robustness is quite good for the price. Are there injection mold lines? Yes. sure. Meh. I will concede that the font(s) on the band are cheesy.

I love the nibs (I don't need or expect everything to be soft or semi-flex). I am actually shocked how large that nib is considering the price. I love the sweet vintage-y breather hole. Mine write wet with perfect tine alignment and a little bit of pleasant feedback.

I personally find that combination of Dark Blue and Yellow gold to really unattractive so my Chartres Blue has the rhodium trim, which is excellent. But I have the gold trim on 2 other pens (one shouldn't count as it is from the late 1970s) but the burgundy pen (my newest, and very new at that) has gold trim. The gold trim on this pen looks fine to me.

I have had a few dozen of these pens pass through my hands. I even had my paws on a tester kit for a while (that is where my Music nib comes from, purchased from that set) and I never had a bad one.

They are kind of a mystery to me. They are quite small looking but for some odd reason I can't understand, somehow are much more ergonomic than I expect a pen of this size to be. This is a pen I can write for "distance" with. In fact I took 8 A4 pages of notes with my M nib yesterday and it was smooth sailing. I love these pens. I find them full of charm, great writers, robust, easy to maintain, and a pleasure to hold.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 23rd, 2018), carlos.q (March 20th, 2018), Jon Szanto (March 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Cool Re: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

I have the SF and although it is still super smooth, it has the very slightest feel of grip on 'ordinary' paper - just tactile enough to let you know you have contact - but on Tomoe River, the smoothness is like being in zero gravity or something!

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    the most fun you can have with your pants on
    Yeah, i've not tried LSD either.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 20th, 2018), jmccarty3 (May 6th, 2018), Kudzu (July 31st, 2019)

Thanks

I sell Platinum Pens in the U.S. and consider these the "Best Bang For The Buck" in Gold nibbed Pens! Everything is made in house from Platinum (Japan), and I have heard no issues with brassing/plating wear etc... (3776/3776 Nice/President are Gold Nib Pens)

If you had bought a pen from me, and this happened- it would have been replaced.
    I'm sure Luxury Brands USA would also stand behind the product as well (US Distributor)

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 20th, 2018), jmccarty3 (May 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I sell Platinum Pens in the U.S. and consider these the "Best Bang For The Buck" in Gold nibbed Pens! Everything is made in house from Platinum (Japan), and I have heard no issues with brassing/plating wear etc... (3776/3776 Nice/President are Gold Nib Pens)

If you had bought a pen from me, and this happened- it would have been replaced.
    I'm sure Luxury Brands USA would also stand behind the product as well (US Distributor)

Frank
    Thank you but I believe I did not explain myself clearly. The pen does not have any issues with brassing. I just don't like the color of the gold plating as I find it distracting from what could have been a very beautiful pen. It's a matter of personal taste.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 20th, 2019), Frank (March 21st, 2018), titrisol (May 20th, 2019)

Thanks

I must admit I had quite the reverse experience with my 3776 Chartres Blue, finding it a much better quality pen than I'd expected. The resin is a wonderful colour, and dense and robust; it's well put together, and the nib is a reliable and crisp performer.

By contrast the Sailor 1911 has rather disappointed me as a pen - the demonstrator resin feels light and cheap, and the cap band unscrews itself, something I've never experienced on any pen before. Plus the nib is nothing to write home about - functional, but boring.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 21st, 2018)

Thanks

If anyone is interested in this pen I just put it up for sale in the Classifieds.

Thanks

I like the writing characteristics of the 3776, great feedback and the extra fine and fine nibs are wonderfully smooth considering their line width. A reliable work horse pen that will start and write correctly first time and every time. This is based on my own experience having owned around 4 of them over the last few years. YMMV.

However I do find the fit and finish only adequate for the price point, but only if you pay Japanese retail price at the most. It is a greatly inflated price point for overseas markets so buying direct from a Japanese seller is probably the best way to approach a purchase.

My personal opinion... I would steer clear of the gold trim pens and choose the rhodium trim although it is marginally more expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Accord_Tiger View Post
    I like the writing characteristics of the 3776, great feedback and the extra fine and fine nibs are wonderfully smooth considering their line width. A reliable work horse pen that will start and write correctly first time and every time. This is based on my own experience having owned around 4 of them over the last few years. YMMV.

However I do find the fit and finish only adequate for the price point, but only if you pay Japanese retail price at the most. It is a greatly inflated price point for overseas markets so buying direct from a Japanese seller is probably the best way to approach a purchase.

My personal opinion... I would steer clear of the gold trim pens and choose the rhodium trim although it is marginally more expensive.
    Like many things it all depends on your personal tastes. I didn't like the tacky gold trim or the pencil-like feedback. But that is my personal taste. Other geeks love this pen.

I finally sold the 3776 and bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a SM nib. The rhodium trim looks nice and the nib is bouncy and smooth. However the SM nib is a bit wider than I had imagined.

Thanks

I own a few now and have sold others. I think very well of them as writers, but can see why some might find them cheap looking in spots. I could say the same about some Sailors and, to a lesser extent, Pilots.

I'll also add that I love the look of the nibs and feeds. Independent of their writing, they get an A+ from me on aesthetic grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Of the ones available I find the Sailor and Pilot Custom Heritage pocket clips to work and the Pilot Custom pocket clips near useless.
    Off topic, but what is your issue(s) with the Custom clips?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I enjoy other pens more, but my 3776 is a workhorse that gets used every day.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 1,971 Posts

To be fair to Carlos, I had the same impression when I first handled a Platinum 3776.

But, for someone's first gold-nibbed modern pen, I agree with everyone here, it is a tremendous value largely because of that big nib.

Carlos, one Japanese pen that I fell in love right out of the bat is the Pilot Custom 67. Elegant, clean and simple style, and it feels so nice in the hand.

I like it so much I had 5, sold 3 and still have 2 in Medium and Broad nib.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

32. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I can say that my experience both agrees and disagrees with you. My plating looked spot on perfect and not gaudy-maybe because that's how I thought gold plating was supposed to be. I agree on the nib. It isn't really eye throbbing sort of thing but that may be because mine was slightly dry and really feedback heavy. Once I smoothed it out and increased the ink flow, the pen became my favorite writer. Notice that I say writer. I find it to be on the thin side that keeps it from being perfect.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Of the three main Japanese brands, in their standard line-up, I have found that Pilot suits me better. In this respect I am a little lucky that I bought a Pilot before seeking out pens from the other two, and that I got to try most of the standard Platinum and Sailor pens (as well as some more expensive models) on my recent trip to Shanghai. On that trip I discovered two things: I did not like the construction of Platinum standard line pens, and I did not like the small size of Sailor standard line pens.

This last point I find particularly intriguing because vintage pens are often closer in length to modern Sailor pens, and yet my Pelikan 400 fits my hand perfectly when posted. This suggests a far more complex and subtle interplay between weight, dimension and geometry that go into what makes a pen a good fit than what I had previously suspected.

I prefer Pilot nibs too, though I couldn't articulate why. This is a shame because I was kind of looking forward to using a Platinum music nib (I'd heard good things about it) and found it lacking in the end.