Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

Thanks

Default Re: Disappointed with Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

I think the large gold trim take away at the timeless classic look of the pen. It seems like a tacky add-don and unnecessary for a pen like this one. However, I must admit that this is personal taste as I prefer the understated look rather than something that would stand out in a crowd.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
    I think the large gold trim take away at the timeless classic look of the pen.
    Never thought of the trim on this pen as "large"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    That's because it isn't. In the overall world of pen hardware, from the most minimal (Lamy 2000, basic Sheaffer Targa, etc) to the most over-the-top (all your basic blinged-out Italian pens, many Jinhao, fancy overlays of the early part of last century), the amount of stuff on a basic 3776 barely registers. It's a pretty silly complaint.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 6th, 2018 at 10:47 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

stub (May 7th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    That's because it isn't. In the overall world of pen hardware, from the very most minimal (Lamy 2000, basic Sheaffer Targa, etc) to the most over-the-top (all your basic blinged-out Italian pens, many Jinhao, fancy overlays of the early part of last century), the amount of stuff on a basic 3776 barely registers. It's a pretty silly complaint.

I find these pens so full of charm, great in the hand and you get a LOT of nib for the getus here. I find it odd that anyone could complain about these pens for the price they go at. I have had a redonkulous number of these pass through my paws and also find them amazingly consistent. I usually have at least one of these inked up. I absolutely love the B nibs on these pens. Like old generous Parker M nibs. & juicy.

I have a music nib now that is a gas. Really a joy to use.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Oh. I guess I already spouted that in this thread. I am repeating myself now. LIKE THE CRUSTY OLD MAN I AM.

Thanks

If i were to buy any pen for anyone who didn't already have a fountain pen, the #3776 would be it - SF, of course.

Thanks

The one I have at home has a nice stubby broad nib. It writes well, but nothing to write home about (har har). It’s not a terrible pen, but it’s not amazing either. Mine also hard starts. Can’t say I enjoy Japanese nibs much after being exposed to Pelikan for a prolonged time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

*sheepishly* I've always thought this. Most modern pens have very tasteless trim.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 20th, 2019)

Thanks

I’ve noticed that some of the recent Wing Sung pens are using clear plastics (acrylics?) that remind me of some of the Platinum pen bodies. I’m willing to experiment with the MUCH cheaper Wing Sung to see if I like the color/transparency/etc. of the pen body. If so, then I’m willing to consider the more expensive pen with the better nib.

Okay, I haven’t actually bought the more expensive pen YET... but I feel my adventure with a transparent blue Wing Sung 618 saved me about a hundred bucks on a Platinum that wouldn’t quite have scratched my itch. And I have a Wing Sung that I can use with ANY ink, including Kung Te Cheng. Heck, if I had any Bay State Whatever, I’d put that in the Wing Sung!

Thanks

I think the Platinum 3776 is very nice. The SF has feedback but is surprisingly bouncy for a Platinum, the M is very fine but smooth with a hint of bounce, and the B is simply divine with a pencil-like feedback.
    Aesthetically the nib is among the most beautifully of all modern nibs.

Thanks

I have the Chartres Bleu with Rhodium trim and the M nib. Absolutely g o r g e o u s combination. But the Japanese M nib writes as a F if you are used to European nibs. So it is fairly thin to me. With some feedback. I thought and still think to reserve it to lesser quality paper. But I also bought the Burgundy with gold trim and the B nib. And that was a positive surprise. It almost has an italic feel to it, writes super nice, is inked with Shikiori Okuyama permanently, and is, I regret so say as I feel sorry for the Chartres Bleu, a more frequent go-to pen. Am even considering to get the Laurel Green one too...with a B nib for sure.

Thanks

My experience has been that the Japanese nibs in the EF to M range are all really fine. But, the jump to B can be a big one... It seems like the European nib sizes follow a more linear progression.

Thanks

When I bought one, (SF NIB), the rhodium plate was not available, and I agree it looks better

This is a pen that takes a while to get used to, the nib is quirky and has a lot of feedback and is very sensitive to the type of ink (flow)
    It took me well over a year to enjoy using the pen, but I took it as a challenge
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by although View Post
    My experience has been that the Japanese nibs in the EF to M range are all really fine. But, the jump to B can be a big one... It seems like the European nib sizes follow a more linear progression.
    For Pilot I’d say that’s true, but for Platinum and Sailor the B is just the next step up from M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have Black one with B nib. Although B nib is not my favorite but finally it is my daily pen now (it takes place of Sailor Sapporo which I always carry around with me last year). As my pen is black I find the gold trim looks ok on the body although I don't like the clip design. It is too boring. But the nib saves it all. I can't find any bad thing of it's performance. Maybe you can consider to change to Rhodium version (same design, only different coating makes it around $50 more expensive => it is why I don't like Platinum's Rhodium pen).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KyleClapton For This Useful Post:

titrisol (June 13th, 2019)

Thanks

If you want to venture into more Japanese pens, I'd suggest trying some 1970s-80s pens, functional short/long pens from all the major makers are available on Ebay from $10 to $150 depending on scarcity and condition, but unless they've been abused the common thread is that they are almost certainly reliable, smooth writing pens. There are specialty nibs available in many of these, though they fetch a premium and are far less common than fine and extra fine nibs.

I also agree that the over the top golden color on many modern Japanese pens is a turn off compared to older 12 or 14k gold filled trim that you see on vintage American and European pens.

The twin to your Pilot Custom Heritage 91 lives with me and gets almost daily use, it's no wet noodle, nor is it as smooth as a vintage Waterman medium, but it's not far off of that standard and closer to a useful flex nib than most modern attempts!
    David-

So many restoration projects...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 31st, 2019)

Thanks

The access we gain with the internet is amazing but it does bring up possible disappointment when we get something in hand.

I’m not a big fan of gold trim on any pen. For me a black, matte black, gunmetal or Sailor’s Imperial are my favorite with silver to follow.

I have the same pen but with silver trim and find it’s a great writer and haven’t experienced the issues you did.

Could it be you just don’t like gold trim on any pen or have you seen, in person, others in gold and liked them?