Thread: Ebay question?

Thanks

Default Ebay question?

I purchased two pens on Ebay. The listing said the pens were new but there are some scratches and loss of plating on the pens I'm not overly bothered about this (and am happy to overlook this). But the listing said there was pouch included but there wasn't when it arrived.

I was wondering how I'd go about dealing with this as I'd rather keep the pens and would be happy with a small partial refund to acknowledge the absence of the pouch or for the seller to send out the pouch separately?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Ebay question?

The usual course is to contact the seller expressing your concerns. Do this through the eBay messaging system so it is all logged. At least have the conversation before doing anything permanent like making a claim.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

top pen (March 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

Things have changed on ebay, and it's now designed so that you're not only in contact with the seller, but within the framework of an open case about the item..

What you need to do is to select Contact Seller then choose "I received an item that wasn't as described." Complete all of the details like you have on here, and the seller will make contact with you within the framework of that case, as ebay requires. You can write in the box that you would be happy with a partial refund and the pouch, but it is ultimately up to the seller to choose whether you return the item to him for a full refund or whether he issues a partial refund, and sends you the pouch separately.

In the event that he offers a partial refund, ebay will send you the request, and if you accept it, it will immediately be sent to your PayPal account and the case will close automatically.

In the event that he requires you to return the item, ebay automatically issues you with a special postage label that you have to print and put half inside the box and half on the outside. So they know it's returned.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 26th, 2018 at 03:06 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Interesting, and good to know. I wasn't aware of the recent changes on eBay with regard to this.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I didn't want to blow things out proportion. As I've read too many cases of buyers trying to scam sellers out of items and I didn't want it to appear I was trying to do similar.

Thanks

Honestly, no-one will consider you are "blowing things out of proportion." You're not in the scammer buyer category, and everyone will realise that as soon as they read your comments. The seller will know what he did or didn't send.

The ebay mantra is now that you, as the buyer, either "get what you paid for, or your money back." Ebay keeps a watch on everything, and no black mark will even go onto the sellers account as long as he responds to you within the case, in the 8 days he is given to respond.

It's all very straight forward and simple. By providing the returns form, ebay know whether the item has been returned or not.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 26th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can also mention that you are holding feedback comments until the situation is resolved. This always gets their attention as the worst thing a seller can get is negative feedback.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    You can also mention that you are holding feedback comments until the situation is resolved. This always gets their attention as the worst thing a seller can get is negative feedback.
    The seller will be well aware of that. It's probably better to not mention anything about feedback that might annoy a seller before he has even had a chance to offer a resolution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The seller will be well aware of that. It's probably better to not mention anything about feedback that might annoy a seller before he has even had a chance to offer a resolution.
    Good point.

Thanks

I don't think unless someone deliberately tried to scam me or acted really hostile I would ever leave negative feedback. I occasionally sell things on Ebay and I know how hard build up a decent feedback through selling odd items here and there. I had some spanner leave negative feedback a few weeks ago saying that a pen never arrived when I had signed proof it had. But thankfully eBay removed that feedback.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 27th, 2018)