Thread: Visconti Nib Removal Tool (Opera Elements, Full Size HS, etc)

Thanks

Default Visconti Nib Removal Tool (Opera Elements, Full Size HS, etc)

Anyone know where I could get the nib removal tool? I know I could go to FPH or some other large brick and mortar Visconti dealer to get them to remove the nib unit but I plan on regularly switching between my 14k B and steel M.

I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Re: Visconti Nib Removal Tool (Opera Elements, Full Size HS, etc)

ChrisC,
    Posts #213
    If you look at the base of the feed/nib straight on, you'll see two very small holes. There is a Visconti tool that slides over the feed and fits these two holes, so you can screw out the nib/feed assembly. I got one of these tools from the Dutch Visconti agent, but it is my understanding that they are not generally available. Some Visconti dealers may have them for the purpose of exchanging nibs.
    I tried on my Homo Sapiens and it does fit, but since I had no need to unscrew it I did not force it, but I think it would need quite a bit of force. And because the holes and the pins are very small I doubt it would a simple and practical operation. If memory serves, this tool was included in the HS calligraphy set when that pen was released and that included the entire range of nibs available for this pen, so it should work.
    & #215 in the Visconti thread by PeterPen maybe of some interest to you.
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....ll=1#post29842
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I would want one also!
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Anyone know where I could get the nib removal tool? I know I could go to FPH or some other large brick and mortar Visconti dealer to get them to remove the nib unit but I plan on regularly switching between my 14k B and steel M.

I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.
    If only want to remove the feed and the nib from the section, just pull them out. No tools needed. I did it many times already.
    Last edited by john; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks

I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.[/QUOTE]If only want to remove the feed and the nib from the section, just pull them out. No tools needed. I did it many times already.[/QUOTE]

Hi John,
    I've a fairly recent Opera (Chatterly 10th Anniversary). Do you know if its nib would still be friction fit? I've tried to pull them, but am afraid to use much pressure on such a nice pen. Any information is appreciated.
    Best,
    Glenn

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Put together a group buy and contact Pentooling and see if his machinist can make a batch of the tool.

Thanks

The full size nib unit (nib, feed, and collar) can be removed by hand. No tool required. Thumb on the feed, nib cradled inside your pointer-finger, pinch and twist. When reassembling I've noticed that screwing it down tight can lead to leakage around the nib unit (ink will slowly bleed out between the section and the outside of the nib unit. Some silicone grease on the threads of the nib unit and then just shy of snug prevents this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Triaed (June 8th, 2018)