Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

I like some Noodlers inks but practice extreme pen hygiene when using them I also only use them in pens I would not mind losing. I have Midway Blue in a Jinhao 992 right now and have been wanting to use Apache Sunset for some time now. The dry times are annoying and keeps my use in check.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

I have a part bottle of BayState Blue and keep thinking about whether to try it or not. I can't decide which pen though.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I have a part bottle of BayState Blue and keep thinking about whether to try it or not. I can't decide which pen though.
    Whichever pen costs the equivalent of two bucks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Well I have this pen called a Noodler's Creaper......

Thanks

As they say in Brazil, not so far north, not so far south. I’ve tried several Noodler’s inks. Some are quite good, others more problematic. I really like Ottoman Rose, Cactus Flower, and the bulletproof blue and black. I try not to buy the ones that smell and look like paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'd say use something you don't mind getting stained and/or throwing out. And probably something you're ok with never flushing or cleaning out.

My sample of BSB stained our non-porous, porcelain sink. I think it even stained the stainless steel bowl I used to catch and try to dilute the ink before pouring it into the plastic, severely scarred utility sink after the porcelain sink incident. It'll wash out, but it might not be for weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    My sample of BSB stained our non-porous, porcelain sink. I think it even stained the stainless steel bowl I used to catch and try to dilute the ink before pouring it into the plastic, severely scarred utility sink after the porcelain sink incident. It'll wash out, but it might not be for weeks.
    Lay a paper towel on the stain and pour chlorine bleach onto it. The stain will disappear quickly. (Experience with white Corian.)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dfo (March 18th, 2018), naimitsu (March 6th, 2018), SIR (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks

A cheap Chinese piston pen may qualify for that

Thanks

There is a large contingent of young and broke new FP users who swear by Noodler's, and they all happen to be on Reddit. I've tried to help educate them, but I've gotten so much negativity that I've given up trying.

And FWIW, I am in the same boat as Sammyo.
    I've given them a fair shake, I've regretted every shake.
    I continued to give them a shot as I see writing samples that look interesting, but they continue to disappoint.
    There are so many reports of undesirable traits that I've written it off as a brand.

I don't even bother looking at reviews or writing samples of Noodler's any more.
    It is comments borne out of experience that reinforces my prejudice against Noodlers products. I have bought one bottle of Noodlers, ever, and it had all the consistency of paint. this was bought at a pen show in 2015. I am not going to buy a second bottle of Noodlers when there are so many other brands that have been good for me.

One of those basic rights as a consumer is for the product that you buy to be fit for purpose, as an ink this particular bottle of Noodlers didnt work. Had I been more militant I would be saying to the retailer, - here look at this - it doesnt work I want my $10 back. Instead I just wont buy another, and as my learned friend has suggested above, I wont even read the reviews.
    Last edited by Fermata; March 6th, 2018 at 07:53 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

dfo (March 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I have a lot of time for Noodler's products. But, I agree that it's not a brand for folks that don't enjoy tinkering...

I've got an Ahab that is one of my favorite writers, wet smooth and flexy, never had to tweak it. I've seen a Konrad with a feed so cattywampus that no amount of heat setting would allow the pen to write. Fortunately, replacement feeds are cheap and available.

Blue-Black and La Couleur Royale are two of my favorite inks. But, I tried Bad Green Gator, and it bled right through several brands of paper that are known to be FP friendly. It also smells of VOC's so strongly that when I uncapped the pen, I wondered if I needed a fume extractor on my writing desk... I'm still going to give Bad Black Moccasin a try (glutton for punishment?)

I think the Boston Safety pen is a really cool experiment. Who else, in the world of lawyer-led corporations would market such a historically cantankerous gadget?

I salute Nathan. I find his willingness to push the boundaries refreshing in this day and age.

Cheers, mike

13. The Following User Says Thank You to although For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 11th, 2018)

Thanks

I'd say use something you don't mind getting stained and/or throwing out. And probably something you're ok with never flushing or cleaning out.
    Maybe something that's also unlikely to burp, leak, or otherwise catastrophically fail, because if it does... Personally I'm stained permanently yellow, i.e. too cowardly to let the stuff darken my door. Or otherwise colour it.

Incidentally, this thread got into double figures in page count when it was started five years ago - the horse was not only dead, but buried. Why the seance?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Maybe something that's also unlikely to burp, leak, or otherwise catastrophically fail, because if it does... Personally I'm stained permanently yellow, i.e. too cowardly to let the stuff darken my door. Or otherwise colour it.

Incidentally, this thread got into double figures in page count when it was started five years ago - the horse was not only dead, but buried. Why the seance?
    New member wanting to participate in a discussion. We might have all killed this years ago, but this new member wasn't around for that.

Besides, dead horses can't care if they're beaten again.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post

New member wanting to participate in a discussion. We might have all killed this years ago, but this new member wasn't around for that.

Besides, dead horses can't care if they're beaten again.
    Why doesn't new member just read the thread and realize there is nothing new to type? Does new member need finger exercixe? Can new member NOT think of a new and interesting topic to start instead?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

maybe new member is wanting more up to date opinion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Opinion is cheap and mostly meaningless. This subject requires information and there is plenty already on the table.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Opinion is cheap and mostly meaningless. This subject requires information and there is plenty already on the table.
    It could always be a new member not familiar with forums, so the search function was missed (I was guilty of this at the beginning).

If new member is familiar with forums, I'm calling intentional obtuseness.

Or they're here from Reddit, and there's a mass load of people who absolutely love Noodler's over there, so OP could legitimately be trying to figure out why there's so much hate here. Wading through the dead horse thread can be daunting...

Thanks

It could always be a new member not familiar with forums, so the search function was missed (I was guilty of this at the beginning).

If new member is familiar with forums, I'm calling intentional obtuseness.

Or they're here from Reddit, and there's a mass load of people who absolutely love Noodler's over there, so OP could legitimately be trying to figure out why there's so much hate here. Wading through the dead horse thread can be daunting...
    Look, my tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek, but I was referring to Scooby's comment, which I believe placed him/herself in the 3rd person as "new member". They are obviously *in* this thread and could obviously read it from the beginning. Little, if anything, of value can be added at this point, except more noise in the signal.

Which is why I suggested starting a new topic somewhere else and having a fresh discussion on fresh ideas, things, events, whatever.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

...OP could legitimately be trying to figure out why there's so much hate here....
    The OP hasn't posted on FPGeeks since October 16th, 2016. I doubt he or she is even thinking about it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...OP could legitimately be trying to figure out why there's so much hate here....
    The OP hasn't posted on FPGeeks since October 16th, 2016. I doubt he or she is even thinking about it.
    Yep, so this was me not paying attention... this is the dead horse thread, so ignore me

Thanks

Look, my tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek, but I was referring to Scooby's comment, which I believe placed him/herself in the 3rd person as "new member". They are obviously *in* this thread and could obviously read it from the beginning. Little, if anything, of value can be added at this point, except more noise in the signal.

Which is why I suggested starting a new topic somewhere else and having a fresh discussion on fresh ideas, things, events, whatever.
    First, I'm "him", just so you aren't wondering in the future . Naimitsu is my wife.

Last, not to start or drag out a dispute, but there was no 3rd person intent with my post. I looked at the date the thread was revived, looked at who revived it, and recognized that it was brought back from the dead two days ago, buy someone who joined the forum in March of 2018. Their revival post ended with a question mark. I accept that the thread was long dead and didn't need revival, but I give new members a bit of leniency. It is rather easy to go browsing, find a thread, and reply to it long before realizing how long ago the last post was made.
    Quote Originally Posted by archaturism View Post
    An ink that sometimes melts a feed, sometimes not. Could it be QC issues/bad batches that happen to be corrosive?

In any case I think we've all reconfirmed that Noodler's still has QC issues and drive concerns over quality and consistency. Nothing has changed since the thread was started.

You know, if we had any moderators someone could lock the thread and prevent further zombies from popping up...