Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Thanks

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

So much hype surrounding Nathan/Noodlers.. I guess I'll have to just try some out and see for myself.
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

2. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalsedition For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsedition View Post
    So much hype surrounding Nathan/Noodlers.. I guess I'll have to just try some out and see for myself.
    He's a veritable hype machine in wrapped in Colonial-era affectations. Get some samples so you don't get bonked on an entire bottle. Most of them I've tossed or given away, but I still regularly use Black Swans in Australian Roses, and have for about 10 years, including surviving a couple of years where he changed the formula and ended up with a dreadful ink.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (October 4th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 26th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (October 4th, 2020), welch (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...changed the formula and ended up with a dreadful ink.
    I hate it when that happens, with any brand!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsedition View Post
    He's a veritable hype machine in wrapped in Colonial-era affectations. Get some samples so you don't get bonked on an entire bottle. Most of them I've tossed or given away, but I still regularly use Black Swans in Australian Roses, and have for about 10 years, including surviving a couple of years where he changed the formula and ended up with a dreadful ink.
    Nathan doesn't advertise or hype his inks much. We get many more videos from other makers, distributors, etc. Nathan actually stays away from most pen shows, from interviews, etc.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 26th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Nathan doesn't advertise or hype his inks much.
    I wasn't speaking so much about volume as to the general nature of his marketing and descriptions. But, as in all things, reasonable people can see things differently. Just my perspective, 10 years on.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

I love Nathan for his unapologetic quirkiness and the fact that his inks are often branded to appeal to sentimental history nerds like myself. I own bottles of Black, Bernanke blue, Blue, Air Corps Blue Black, Black Swan in Australian Roses, Habanero, and just recently purchased Proctor's Ledge. I may be forgetting one or two.

I am disappointed in Proctor's Ledge. I thought I was getting a very deep brown that would be underrated but interesting. Out of a pen it just looks very black, and only gets interesting when you dump lots of ink on a page and smear it around. Maybe its more geared towards artists. I rarely use Bernanke blue, but it comes in handy sometimes. At least one or two of the other colors are about constantly in the rotation.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tleek For This Useful Post:

digitalsedition (October 3rd, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tleek View Post
    I love Nathan for his unapologetic quirkiness and the fact that his inks are often branded to appeal to sentimental history nerds like myself. I own bottles of Black, Bernanke blue, Blue, Air Corps Blue Black, Black Swan in Australian Roses, Habanero, and just recently purchased Proctor's Ledge. I may be forgetting one or two.

I am disappointed in Proctor's Ledge. I thought I was getting a very deep brown that would be underrated but interesting. Out of a pen it just looks very black, and only gets interesting when you dump lots of ink on a page and smear it around. Maybe its more geared towards artists. I rarely use Bernanke blue, but it comes in handy sometimes. At least one or two of the other colors are about constantly in the rotation.
    Seven of my twelve bottles of ink are from Noodler's Ink. I really like 54th Massachusetts. I've dedicated a Pilot Metropolitan to it. I guess that's the problem, many of the inks I've tried from Noodler's Ink are great, but they want their own pen. (I'm looking at you Bay State Blue). Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia works in the Charlie pen that came with it, but man, is it a thick ink. Roller Eel (which is lubricated Heart of Darkness) is extremely wet; it'll pull the same kind of spread as 54th Massachusetts.

Dark Matter, great middle of the road black ink. Tiananmen, a wonderful red that makes me want to go back to it. Purple Heart, the purple from the medal. Haven't tried Walnut yet. It's waiting in the cabinet.

I like 'em. But having said that... My current day-in day-out default ink is currently Pilot Blue-Black. It just works, in everything. That said, I'll be writing my checks with one of Nathan's bulletproof inks. (One day... maybe Salix or ESSRI).
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Is #41 Brown still available? I bought several bottles a few years back.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

[QUOTE=Scrawler;303249]

Wonderpens is out. Stylo yes.

https://www.stylo.ca/en/afficher-produit/13254.html

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    Seven of my twelve bottles of ink are from Noodler's Ink. I really like 54th Massachusetts. I've dedicated a Pilot Metropolitan to it. I guess that's the problem, many of the inks I've tried from Noodler's Ink are great, but they want their own pen. (I'm looking at you Bay State Blue). Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia works in the Charlie pen that came with it, but man, is it a thick ink. Roller Eel (which is lubricated Heart of Darkness) is extremely wet; it'll pull the same kind of spread as 54th Massachusetts.

Dark Matter, great middle of the road black ink. Tiananmen, a wonderful red that makes me want to go back to it. Purple Heart, the purple from the medal. Haven't tried Walnut yet. It's waiting in the cabinet.

I like 'em. But having said that... My current day-in day-out default ink is currently Pilot Blue-Black. It just works, in everything. That said, I'll be writing my checks with one of Nathan's bulletproof inks. (One day... maybe Salix or ESSRI).
    Unapologetic quirkiness is good. The history reference is OK. But the shallowness is tedious.

I like Nathan's inks, but would never use some of them. I appreciate the variety. A little experimentation and experience and I'm starting to dance with the requirements of some of them.

The first Noodler's ink I bought was 54th Mass. It sat for about three years while I wasn't using fountain pens, and when I resumed, the color had changed - it was a pale blue! It took a week before I figured out that this is an ink that separates and you have to give it a good shake. I can see why somebody doesn't like that. Certainly it would be better if there was a note on the bottle to that effect. It's still a favorite though.

I've fallen in love with Whaleman's Sepia. I like the quirky color and the saturation, and especially how wet it writes. It surprises me when I see people describing it as dry. I guess they're using the wrong pen. I bought a Noodler's Boston Safety Chestnut and a bottle of Whaleman's at the same time - having decided that was going to be the winning combination. I was right.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (October 8th, 2020), Yazeh (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

Wonderpens is out. Stylo yes.

https://www.stylo.ca/en/afficher-produit/13254.html
    Goulet, Anderson Pens, and Jet Pens all have it in stock.
    Last edited by SlowMovingTarget; October 5th, 2020 at 09:03 AM.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul

Unapologetic quirkiness is good. The history reference is OK. But the shallowness is tedious. ...
    Ouch. Was this meant as an example of the "prejudice" in the OP? "Shallowness" seems an unwarranted criticism of a person that we do not really know. Are you actually suggesting that his opinions are not the result of thoughtful inquiry? And how would you know this?
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 5th, 2020 at 06:32 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

[QUOTE=TSherbs;303320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

Unapologetic quirkiness is good. The history reference is OK. But the shallowness is tedious. :)...[/QUOTE

Ouch. Was this meant as an example of the "prejudice" in the OP? "Shallowness" seems an unwarranted criticism of a person that we do not really know. Are you actually suggesting that his opinions are not the result of thoughtful inquiry? And how would you know this?
    I read his comment as directed at Tardiff, not the OP...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

[QUOTE=TSherbs;303320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

Unapologetic quirkiness is good. The history reference is OK. But the shallowness is tedious. :)...[/QUOTE

Ouch is right! I hope you didn't think I would actually do that. My apologies!

I was focused on the inks and mistakenly didn't include the quote that the OP was responding to. I should have quoted the whole thing. The relevant part (to my comment) of what the OP was responding to was:

Quote Originally Posted by Tleek
    I love Nathan for his unapologetic quirkiness and the fact that his inks are often branded to appeal to sentimental history nerds like myself. ...
    I find Nathan's historical/political commentary to be shallow.

My apologies to @SlowMovingTarget
    Last edited by Ole Juul; October 5th, 2020 at 06:22 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (October 6th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (October 8th, 2020), welch (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post

Thanks, yes. This thread, after all, is about prejudice against Noodler's ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post

I knew that it was about Tardif. Thus my question. I don't consider that man's opinions "shallow" at all. Frankly, it seems only "prejudiced" to say so. And thus the OP was correct that there is some "prejudice" against the man. It's one thing to disagree with an opinion. It's another thing to call the thinking "shallow" when, after all, we are just talking about internet musings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

I knew that it was about Tardif. Thus my question. I don't consider that man's opinions "shallow" at all. Frankly, it seems only "prejudiced" to say so. And thus the OP was correct that there is some "prejudice" against the man. It's one thing to disagree with an opinion. It's another thing to call the thinking "shallow" when, after all, we are just talking about internet musings.
    I'm not sure if you're just playing with me now. I hope not. You will notice that I'm the one defending Noodler's ink and Tardif's expression in this thread and others. I think well of him. You will also notice, I hope, that I didn't refer to either Tardif's thinking nor opinions as shallow. You're the one that said that.

Perhaps you don't like that word. I could have used another one perhaps. I'm sure others have similar thoughts, and perhaps a better word, to describe anti-communist "comedy" labels, and the latest, anti-fascist inks. I like that Tardif expresses himself in his labels, but I find some of them less than well considered. You can call it what you like. I'll defend his right to do that, and I'll defend my own right to have an opinion on it. In the meanwhile, I'm still buying and using his inks.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (October 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Yes. It's been a long rambling thread since it started in 2013 and now it just gets resurrected for a quick flurry every couple of years or so.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

welch (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

That's why they are called "Zombie" threads. They keep resurrecting every few years and never seem to die.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 6th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 6th, 2020), Scrawler (October 6th, 2020)

Thanks

You will also notice, I hope, that I didn't refer to either Tardif's thinking nor opinions as shallow. You're the one that said that.
    What???

Nevermind.
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 7th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.