Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I wouldn't worry. Clean your pen regularly and you should be fine.

The exception would be Baystate Blue and its family. They are chemically different. You should be more careful with these. The Baystate Blue in particular has a tendency to stain pens.
    I dedicated a blue Peli Jr. to BSB. Just in case.

There are many Noodler's colors I love: Air Corps Blue-Black, Zhivago, Bad Green Gator, 41 Brown. There are many I dilute (yeah...like most of them).

Anyone interested in trying Noodler's, go get you some samples from like isellpens or Goulet. If it makes you nervous to put Noodler's in a vintage pen, don't.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yeah I've heard that as well.

But NO ink is safe. After one pen expert (who I trust and adore) told me never to use Noodler's in a pen he sold me... Namiki Blue stained the same pen. I have since used all my Noodler's in that pen with zero issues. I will never let Namiki Blue near it again.

Pens are meant to be used, and they get used with ink so staining will happen to some pen, sometime. It is what it is, but I have never had any issues with Noodler's (never used the Baystate line).
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Katana (December 31st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

I don't have what I would call a prejudice against Nathans inks, but gew interest me and I really wish he didn't fill the bottles so full. Less would be more Nathan.

Thanks

I found some Noodler's inks to be way too saturated so I no longer buy them.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

But water is your friend!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    But water is your friend!
    I know but I became better friends with Diamine ink. Plus, those tall skinny Noodlers bottles are the worst.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2020), JazzDoc (May 31st, 2013)

jor412

I have Baystate Blue, Green Marine, El Lawrence, Burma Road Brown (BRB), & Zhivago.

BSB stains everything it comes in contact with including the kitchen sink, but thankfully it does wash off steel & aluminum. I've had no trouble with it in my Pilot 78G which, apart from my Ahab, is the only pen I use it with. Green Marine & Zhivago have no flow issues and they're wonderful colors. Both El Lawrence & BRB need diluting. I would go slowly with that; maybe 20% water and 80% ink to see how it goes.

Interestingly enough though, I'm using undiluted BRB in my Platinum 3776 Century and I'm having no flow issues whatsoever. So maybe the solution, too, is a more airtight seal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

While I really like the Noodler's inks I have, I guess I do have one thing against Noodler's but it is a minor quibble. "Against" is sort of strong and I am not sure whether it is Noodler's fault or the retailer's sample packages. I have received samples and then purchased a bottle with very different looking ink (Midway Blue). I get that Mr. Tardiff does all the ink mixing and maybe that's part of the charm but consistent ink color, especially when sampling, is sort of important to me. Especially when it comes to blue inks. Luckily the bottle ink was a nicer shade of blue than what I was expecting. It turned out for the best.

It has had me second guessing the purchase of Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black. I bought a sample and it was totally black for me. I have received letters in the ink that look totally different to what I have seen. I am using the same nib/paper combo's and wish my sample showed what I see in the letters I am getting.

Oh, and I will not touch BSB. Not for the rumors. I have personally sampled it. It was actually one of my first ink samples. I just don't like the color. It is too purple for my taste. The intense pen/sink cleaning needed to maintain it is also not something I like. (Yeah that's probably my OCD, I know. Don't judge me. )
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have a few bottles and really have yet to have an issue with them. In fact, part of the reason I like this because they are so saturated, it's easy to have the ink seem weak with a tiny nib so I like the fact that it appears bright no matter what.

I also am a user of the notorious BSB, I happen to like the color. Admittedly there are several pens it's not allowed in, but even that i've had no problems with - admittedly Cape Cod Cranberry did turn my sink bit for a bit.

My theory is that as long as I keep my pens clean, I shouldn't have an issue with any ink, unless I just downright don't like the color. A few Noodler's will never endear me due to extreme feathering, but I've seen that with other brands too. Just my $0.02.

Thanks

I have a few Noodler's inks I love--Red/Black, Apache Sunset, Beaver, Navajo Turquoise, Bad Belted Kingfisher. There have been a few I have not been super fond of--Navy, Blue/Black, North African Violet (the first two just never quite dried fast enough for me and the 3rd clogged every pen I put it in). I think all ink companies have a few problem inks (and who knows they may not be problems once you put them in a pen that loves the ink).

I find Noodler's political content on the labels a little offputting for me, however.

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Oh, and I will not touch BSB. Not for the rumors. I have personally sampled it. It was actually one of my first ink samples. I just don't like the color. It is too purple for my taste. The intense pen/sink cleaning needed to maintain it is also not something I like. (Yeah that's probably my OCD, I know. Don't judge me. )
    Sometimes, I like the color. I look for it and it has ruined every other blue for me in terms of brilliance. But the maintenance is a pain and after I'm done with the one bottle, that'll be the last of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    I also am a user of the notorious BSB, I happen to like the color. Admittedly there are several pens it's not allowed in
    hehe BSB sounds like a pet. I think I'm the only one in my vicinity who uses it.

Thanks

I have never been enamored of BSB. I tend to like my blues a lot more matted and with shading--Salix, Skrip Blue, Jentle Blue, Bad Belted Kingfisher, Namiki Blue . . . Kon-Peki is probably the brightest blue I have. I don't want anything bolder than that.

Thanks

It's always difficult to have an even handed discussion when the thread title leans heavily in one direction.

Prejudice - such a pejorative term.

There are things to like about Noodler's inks, like the immense range of unusual and characterful colours, things not to like - depending on taste, at least - and things to be properly informed about when choosing one of them.

I seem to see a lot of the extreme positions here: either (a) Noodler's killed my budgie! or (b) Anyone who claims Noodler's might damage a pen is a nutjob!

Yes, I'm parodying, but it's not far off some posts in this thread so far.

Prejudice against Noodler's? Not much that I see. Caution, yes, on the part of some. Admiration and hero worship? Yes, some of that too.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to seffrican For This Useful Post:

79spitfire (May 13th, 2013), AltecGreen (May 7th, 2013), CapeClear (June 4th, 2013), ethernautrix (May 7th, 2013), jde (May 8th, 2013), Jon Szanto (May 7th, 2013), matveik (May 7th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (May 21st, 2013), wastelanded (May 11th, 2013), woosang (May 7th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Very well put, Seffrican.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

seffrican (May 8th, 2013)

Thanks

I'm not a huge fan or user of Noodler's ink, I do have Noodler's ink. I think most issues with Noodler's is overblown. If you lazy about pen hygiene any ink has the potential of being problematic. Be kind to your pen rotate ink and clean regularly.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    While I really like the Noodler's inks I have, I guess I do have one thing against Noodler's but it is a minor quibble. "Against" is sort of strong and I am not sure whether it is Noodler's fault or the retailer's sample packages. I have received samples and then purchased a bottle with very different looking ink (Midway Blue). I get that Mr. Tardiff does all the ink mixing and maybe that's part of the charm but consistent ink color, especially when sampling, is sort of important to me. Especially when it comes to blue inks. Luckily the bottle ink was a nicer shade of blue than what I was expecting. It turned out for the best.

It has had me second guessing the purchase of Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black. I bought a sample and it was totally black for me. I have received letters in the ink that look totally different to what I have seen. I am using the same nib/paper combo's and wish my sample showed what I see in the letters I am getting.

I have a full bottle of ACBB and when it's diluted, it is reminiscent of Blue Nose Bear, without the feathering.

Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    BSB ate my hamster.

Apart from that no problems with Noodlers (well any worse than any other inks - nib creep and the like).

carl
    Next time you might want to leave a sandwich for BSB instead of your hamster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    BSB ate my hamster.

Apart from that no problems with Noodlers (well any worse than any other inks - nib creep and the like).

carl
    Next time you might want to leave a sandwich for BSB instead of your hamster.
    Heh- I think BSB needs BLOOD!

It's a (British) joke based on the infamous headline:

220px-Freddiehamster.jpg

To be fair - as far as I know the headline was something of a misrepresentation (i.e. a lie) - he put it between bread and pretended (I don't think he did the full Meatloaf).

To be honest I have never used BSB - I've never liked the look of the colour but I do have other Noodlers inks.

Whilst I agree with Seffrican about the extremes that Noodlers can bring out in discussions I must say I haven't seen much of it here - unlike some of the threads on FPN (before the crackdown on ink bashing), now they got really silly.

carl
    Last edited by carlc; May 7th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 7th, 2013), thagbert (May 7th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Any ink that ruins pens is not an ink suitable for fountain pens and shouldn't be advertised as such, in my opinion. I tried Ottoman Azure...it was a nice color, but stained by hands badly.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Any ink that ruins pens is not an ink suitable for fountain pens and shouldn't be advertised as such, in my opinion. I tried Ottoman Azure...it was a nice color, but stained by hands badly.
    Your hands are not a pen - what did it do to the pen?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin