Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

My experience with Noodler's inks has been largely positive. I use Purple Heart, Walnut, Black Swan (English & Australian), Forest Green, Dark Matter, Black, Burma Road Brown, Cayenne, Apache Sunset, Tiananmen, Widowmaker, and some others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head, on a regular basis.

The only issue I've ever had was with La Reine Mauve. It clogged every pen I tried it in, and it stained an Omas nib (that nib is still purple after two years and much scrubbing). I'm generally not a fan of the viscous eternal inks that smell like sharpies, though. The regular old "ordinary" inks (the ones without superhero properties) have been great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Any ink that ruins pens is not an ink suitable for fountain pens and shouldn't be advertised as such, in my opinion. I tried Ottoman Azure...it was a nice color, but stained by hands badly.
    Your hands are not a pen - what did it do to the pen?
    I didn't want to test it in a pen after I saw the way it stained my hands. I may try other noodler's inks though.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Any ink that ruins pens is not an ink suitable for fountain pens and shouldn't be advertised as such, in my opinion. I tried Ottoman Azure...it was a nice color, but stained by hands badly.
    Blasphemer!! Lol I love that colour.. Looks great when used with a twsbi 1.5

I don't have ink brand loyalty.. If I like the ink and it works with my pens & paper then I'll buy it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woosang For This Useful Post:

radellaf (September 4th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I didn't want to test it in a pen after I saw the way it stained my hands. I may try other noodler's inks though.
    Don't most inks stain your hands ? It washes off fairly easily.

Ottoman Azure is pretty intense and may take a few flushes to clean out of a pen but so do an awful lot of other inks.
    Edelstein Adventure was very hard to clean out of one pen but not another for some reason.

If you have a valuable or hard to clean pen you have to weigh out the risks as to what you are comfortable with.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    If it washes off, I'm not sure it can be referred to as a "stain".
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    The only issue I've ever had was with La Reine Mauve. It clogged every pen I tried it in, and it stained an Omas nib (that nib is still purple after two years and much scrubbing).
    I've been dying to try this ink but other people's remarks are similar -- clogging, staining. Too bad. On screen, it looks fabulous.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    The only issue I've ever had was with La Reine Mauve. It clogged every pen I tried it in, and it stained an Omas nib (that nib is still purple after two years and much scrubbing).
    I've been dying to try this ink but other people's remarks are similar -- clogging, staining. Too bad. On screen, it looks fabulous.
    It's a beautiful color, truly. Some of my pen friends were able to find a compatible combination--I think one used a Parker 45 and another had success with a Lamy 2000. Perhaps the hooded nibs helped with dryout/clogging issues. Nevertheless, the high maintenance is a bit much for me. I just want to pick up my pens and write, and I choose inks that will allow me to do that (including some other Noodler's).

jor412

Me too. I'd rather not have trouble with an ink or a pen for that matter. That la reine mauve stained your nib is disturbing. I thought only BSB did that and BSB does come off my steel nib after scrubbing. BSB sticks to plastic though so I have it on my Black pilot but it isn't noticeable unless you look.

Thanks

I so far have had no issues with Noodler's Ink. I am using Borealis Black and find it to be BLACK as coal. I am a fan of black, it matches my Harley. Also love Apache Sunset. I have an aversion to BLUE ink, think it has to do with being in the Air Force for 20 years, everything is blue this or blue that and if it don't move paint it Air Force Blue - So I wouldn't use BSB if something froze over. Just a new guy on the block. but thought I would share.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

thagbert (May 13th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post

Ottoman Azure is pretty intense and may take a few flushes to clean out of a pen but so do an awful lot of other inks.
    Edelstein Adventure was very hard to clean out of one pen but not another for some reason.

If you have a valuable or hard to clean pen you have to weigh out the risks as to what you are comfortable with.
    What I meant by stain is that it was hard to wash it off. Though maybe it was meant to be a permanent ink, in which case, good! I will fill my mini with the small sample I have.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I haven't any experience with Noodlers yet, but let me offer for stained hands a magic eraser does an amazing job cleaning you up - at least with other inks I have used. For clothing stains, saturate with hairspray before you wash. You can even use hairspray to remove ink from a photo and not ruin the emulsion on the paper. It will even remove sharpie ink.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

chaimann (June 16th, 2013), fountainpenkid (May 9th, 2013), Nomdeplume (May 14th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
    I would say that it is less prejudice against Noodlers ink as it is against more saturated inks. It seems that more saturated inks are meant to be "higher maintenance", and apparently used with care in vintage pens.

Personally, apart from my Parker vacumatic pens, I will use any ink in any pen. I have quite a few bottles of Noodlers ink, and enjoy using them very much. There are other "safer" inks that also tend to stain - I've found that several Diamine inks have that tendency, so I avoid using them in pens that are demonstrators, and can't be completely disassembled and cleaned.
    My understanding is similar. Many pen pros are concerned that a lot of modern inks have a high level of saturation and that might cause damage yet unknown. I have heard the same cautions about German inks and anything not Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, Aurora or Japanese.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    I haven't any experience with Noodlers yet, but let me offer for stained hands a magic eraser does an amazing job cleaning you up - at least with other inks I have used.
    Dumb question: What's a "magic eraser."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Is it either that Mr. clean thingie or the bigger more industrial thingie they use to remove soot from walls!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 8th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I use the Mr. Clean thingy. And after cleaning and flushing, I hit our horrible porcelain kitchen sink with toilet bowl cleaner, the kind with bleach in it. Completely eradicates ink stains. Sorry for the distraction, back to Noodlers! I have learned a lot here to apply when/if I try a bottle and I do have at least one color on my list of "to be purchased" inks.

Thanks

The more permanent the ink, the more often you can expect to have to flush your pens. I love the permanence of Noodler's bulletproof and eternal inks. I've only had 2 issues, and that was with Year of the Pig (highlighter ink) and Kung Te-cheng. Both permanently clogged the Preppys that came with them (after about a year to year and a half) and had to be replaced. I tend to only use Noodler's in cheap designated Preppys (eyedropper style).
    Spreading the inky goodness... see my homemade ink recipes here (free)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksterp View Post
    Have used 54th Mass. and Red-Black with absolutely no problems. I do dilute the 54th Mass. 4:1 with distilled water.

All in all, from what I have read, I would not be concerned about using Noodlers inks with the exception of Bay State Blue.
    What is the purpose of diluting 54th Mass.?
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks

I got a new Noodlers in the mail today from Gouletpens , 54th Mass, I am in love! My go to blue black now!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to caleath For This Useful Post:

thagbert (May 14th, 2013)

Thanks

I like Noodler's ink. The BSB chases the cat around from time to time, and I had to slap it when it made a pass at my wife, but you know...

But seriously, it's made to fit different needs. You need to keep that in mind when picking inks and be sure your aware of what will tend to stain and or dry out in a pen. Regular flushing and good hygiene will prevent most of the 'problems' that people experience.

Oh yea, Baystate inks stain like crazy....
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 79spitfire For This Useful Post:

thagbert (May 14th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I have used several of the Noodler's inks. No issues, it seems economical.

I have read some of the rants and articles by pen repair persons about Noodler's damaging pens. They don't seem to be able to present proof positive that Noodler's caused the damage in each case, but they have a hunch Noodler's is the cause. In some cases, like ruined sacs, there have been defective sacs on the market. How can they prove that's not the cause. Then came the "boutique inks" statement. The Pelikan people threw that at me about using non-Pelikan ink in their pen, causing the section to become unglued. It's easy for repair people to accuse the ink of being the problem. I say poor materials and/or poor workmanship is the issue.

There's about a snowball's chance in hades that I will buy any Pelikan ink.

These arguments blaming the ink are posh, tosh and gibberish.
    My thoughts exactly.
    My blog, the Five Cat Penagerie.