Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Thanks

Default Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

There seems to be some prejudice against Noodler's among several pen experts (unidentified).

It may be that Noodler's is the new kid on the block and more established brands like to take shots at them.

Should I be concerned about using Noodler's?
    Last edited by thagbert; July 23rd, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Pen hygiene and no issues here.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I have had zero problems with Noodler's Black, Walnut... some other colors. I'm glad I don't care about Bay State Blue, otherwise I'd have to think hard about risk.

There are some Noodler's inks that seem to have a greasy consistency. I don't like to use those. I mean, I don't use those.

Whatever ink -- pay attention and flush your pens (clean them). Should be fine.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 9th, 2017), thagbert (May 6th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,020 Posts

I have talked to a fair number of pen restorers and vintage pen sellers, and I just don't know. I think "prejudice" is a strong word, since it implies something unfounded, whereas I can't ignore the experiences they relate.

And on the other hand, anecdotal evidence from Noodler's users is that most Noodler's inks are safe for most pens. I can't ignore that either.

I put it down to this: in my experience, all the more saturated inks, whoever the maker, seem to need more careful pen hygiene than less saturated inks. And all the Noodler's inks that I have used are very saturated. To me, "pen hygiene" includes not just careful cleaning, but also not keeping an ink too long in a pen.

Bay State Blue is a different matter from what I've heard, and not just the staining. I seem to remember someone here posting a picture of a Safari feed that was destroyed by BSB. And I have heard about that with another pen, too, though I can't remember the brand. My friends who use that ink all put it in a special-purpose pen. And they love it.

For myself, I've tried a lot of their inks, and they just aren't my cup of tea. But I love seeing them in my penpals' letters.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

anaximander (May 14th, 2013), ethernautrix (May 7th, 2013), imaginerhetoric (February 3rd, 2014), JazzDoc (May 31st, 2013), kaisnowbird (August 18th, 2013), shudaizi (December 26th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry. Clean your pen regularly and you should be fine.

The exception would be Baystate Blue and its family. They are chemically different. You should be more careful with these. The Baystate Blue in particular has a tendency to stain pens.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

I am absolutely not an expert, but yes, I tend to steer clear of Noodler's. Not because of any quality issue, they seem to be good inks, and the bulletproof ones are excellent. But, I have tried several of their inks, and find too much showthrough with all of them. Bear in mind, most of my writing is at work, and the paper quality there is poor. If I used good paper, my response might be different.

Well, there we go.

Ken

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drgoretex For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 25th, 2019), inlovewithjournals (January 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Yup, aside from BSB and the staining issue (which I knew about so I only put it in certain pens), I've had zero issues and I have.. *thinks*.. 8 bottles of Noodler's? I've put them in vintage and modern pens. I just don't let inks dry out in my pens, whether vintage or modern, especially saturated inks. But that goes for all inks over here, not just Noodler's.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GourmetPens For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (May 7th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

8 bottles here and I can't even tell you how many samples, only one problem. Whales mans sepia stained my Konrad, I have tried bleach, ammonia you name it.

Thanks

I have used several of the Noodler's inks. No issues, it seems economical.

I have read some of the rants and articles by pen repair persons about Noodler's damaging pens. They don't seem to be able to present proof positive that Noodler's caused the damage in each case, but they have a hunch Noodler's is the cause. In some cases, like ruined sacs, there have been defective sacs on the market. How can they prove that's not the cause. Then came the "boutique inks" statement. The Pelikan people threw that at me about using non-Pelikan ink in their pen, causing the section to become unglued. It's easy for repair people to accuse the ink of being the problem. I say poor materials and/or poor workmanship is the issue.

There's about a snowball's chance in hades that I will buy any Pelikan ink.

These arguments blaming the ink are posh, tosh and gibberish.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020), Margana (May 15th, 2013), mhphoto (May 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Have used 54th Mass. and Red-Black with absolutely no problems. I do dilute the 54th Mass. 4:1 with distilled water.

All in all, from what I have read, I would not be concerned about using Noodlers inks with the exception of Bay State Blue.

Thanks

Three of four of my currently inked pens have Noodler's in them. 5 O'Clock Shadow, Black Eel & Whaleman's Sepia. No issues and no problems. YMMV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GardenWeasel View Post
    Three of four of my currently inked pens have Noodler's in them. 5 O'Clock Shadow, Black Eel & Whaleman's Sepia. No issues and no problems. YMMV.
    That is my experience too. I'm checking out the rumors.

I had heard about Bay State Blue. Apparently it is the superman of inks.

I use the Bulletproof/Eternal inks for writing that I want to survive the ages.
    Last edited by thagbert; May 6th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Anecdotal evidence is never conclusive evidence. A handful of inks is no guarantee.

However, neither is a blanket condemnation of Mr. Tardiff's products. One must bear in mind that he hasn't simply produced an extraordinary number of inks, as impressive as that would be. No, he has produced a wide range of inks of differing properties, and it is not hard to grasp that there are a lot of differences in the chemical and compositional makeup of those ink forumlas. For instance, BSB is very well known to be a, um, special ink. It is pretty much different from most any other inks (even, to a degree, from the other Baystate inks). To say that I have three pens inked with others (and I do, and more) doesn't say anything whatsoever about the performance and other aspects of BSB.

I love Noodlers, I really like the cut of Nathan's jibs (except for some of the politics), but I'm not blind to potential problems. To say "never use a Noodlers product in your pen" is probably not right, but certainly hedges bets; to say that "every Noodlers ink is perfectly benign" is the polar extreme. Something in the middle, taken with a grain of caveats, is probably on the mark.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 7th, 2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Caught a typo
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020), Margana (May 6th, 2013), pajaro (May 14th, 2013), seffrican (May 7th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

After ten years of using Noodler's, none my pens has been stained or damaged by it. I have 23 bottles, at least a dozen samples, and at all times at least one pen filled with a Noodler's ink. While there haven't been any issues, like most inks, it takes matching ink to pen to paper. When that is done well, it's a great product.

My daughter has had a Lamy Safari filled with Noodler's Black for years. That pen gets a cleaning about every third fill and it never fails to write well. I'm not fanatical about hygiene but I've learned how far I can push my pens to perform without a cleaning. A thorough rinsing between fills is good with any ink.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Margana For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 25th, 2019), Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020), ethernautrix (May 7th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drgoretex View Post
    I am absolutely not an expert, but yes, I tend to steer clear of Noodler's. Not because of any quality issue, they seem to be good inks, and the bulletproof ones are excellent. But, I have tried several of their inks, and find too much showthrough with all of them. Bear in mind, most of my writing is at work, and the paper quality there is poor. If I used good paper, my response might be different.
    There was a recent thread over in that other forum in which the OP suggested that many of the Noodler's ink are actually oversaturated, and that they may work better for many people if they are diluted 50:50 with distilled water.

I find the Noodler's inks that I have to be somewhat less free-flowing in certain pens than the rest of my inks. I have yet to try the dilution experiment though.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seffrican For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2020), drgoretex (May 7th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

I would say that it is less prejudice against Noodlers ink as it is against more saturated inks. It seems that more saturated inks are meant to be "higher maintenance", and apparently used with care in vintage pens.

Personally, apart from my Parker vacumatic pens, I will use any ink in any pen. I have quite a few bottles of Noodlers ink, and enjoy using them very much. There are other "safer" inks that also tend to stain - I've found that several Diamine inks have that tendency, so I avoid using them in pens that are demonstrators, and can't be completely disassembled and cleaned.

Thanks

I've had no issues with the few bottles I've been able to get. The only one I keep in a 'dedicated' pen is the Prime of the Commons which is in a black Pelikan 205. And that's just because of the nib-creep! Having said that, it looks really good with a blue-steel nib!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

I have a lot of Noodlers ink. I would say the same as others BSB is a special case and Q'ternity was odd all the others are amazing inks and worthy of a try, as for BSB, I now have a demonstrator Ahab that is now a shade of blue but as a dip ink it's fabulous.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to woosang For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

BSB ate my hamster.

Apart from that no problems with Noodlers (well any worse than any other inks - nib creep and the like).

carl

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (June 4th, 2013), Nomdeplume (May 8th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (July 25th, 2020), TSherbs (December 27th, 2013), Woody (March 17th, 2018)

Thanks

No issues with any Noodlers inks and have never tried BSB. As with any brand of ink, I wouldn't leave it in, especially a vintage pen for a long time.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez