Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

Thanks

Default Re: Prejudice Against Noodler's Ink

I have no prejudice against Noodlers or any other ink. I do have a prejudice towards Diamine inks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

oldstoat (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    I have no prejudice against Noodlers or any other ink. I do have a prejudice towards Diamine inks.
    I'm not understanding the difference between "against" and "towards". What am I missing?

Thanks

I understand “prejudiced towards” to indicate that the Old Bloke prefers Diamine inks over others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I don't know why, but I would often think the phrases are used: (as a negative) "a prejudice against" a thing, while (as a positive) "a predisposition towards" (or "in favor of"). Pre-judging seems to carry a lot of negative baggage, though that probably isn't contained in a true definition.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I understand “prejudiced towards” to indicate that the Old Bloke prefers Diamine inks over others.
    Ah! Of course! Duh, I don't know what I was thinking.

Jon Szanto is exactly right and now I feel like an idiot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I'm not understanding the difference between "against" and "towards". What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I don't know why, but I would often think the phrases are used: (as a negative) "a prejudice against" a thing, while (as a positive) "a predisposition towards" (or "in favor of"). Pre-judging seems to carry a lot of negative baggage, though that probably isn't contained in a true definition.
    The word 'prejudice' simply mean 'having previously decided'. It may be used in the negative (against something) or in the positive (for something). To that, we all have 'prejudices' -- preferences, and 'likes and 'dislikes'. Whether one prefers tea or coffee is an example. Does he or she like his or her tea with milk and sugar, milk and no sugar, or neither. That is a matter they have 'pre-judged' (previously decided).

Why it has had a negative connotation attached to it can only be put down to people not really understanding semantics.

Thanks

Why it has had a negative connotation attached to it can only be put down to people not really understanding semantics.
    I understand how it can happen, but when that misperception is widespread, it becomes a bit more in one's self-interest to take that into account. To "terminate with extreme prejudice" is not going to be a happy occasion, which is an... extreme version of the definition morphing.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

... a matter they have 'pre-judged' (previously decided).

Yes, and I know better. I guess I was really tired and mentally confused when I posted. I am now totally and thoroughly embarrassed. (:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

As for me, I avoid Noodlers based on the judgment of those who came to fountain pens before me, not my prejudgement.

When I was first enticed into fountain pens by my friend, the late Jim Rouse, at his Bertram's Inkwell Baltimore store, he cautioned me against putting Noodlers into my new pens, showing what it had done to another. Since then, I was given a similar warning by Richard Binder during my first custom nib grind at a pen show. I presume he saw I was new to the hobby. The controversy continues to this day. With all the proven inks available and the surfeit already in my inkbox, there's no reason to delve into dubious boutique inks when it comes to the care of pens I value.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 24th, 2020), LeFreak (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

I consider the fear or anxiety around use of Noodler's inks to be unwarranted. I've never had a problem with them in any pen of mine. Until it happens to me, I don't care what other people say. I will add, however, that I don't buy expansive pens. I have never had to discard any pen for any ink that I have put in them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

bluerroses (January 2nd, 2022), Yazeh (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I like some of the Noodler's inks, but I'm careful about which pens I use them in because some of them stain and I mind that in a few pens, but not all. Perhaps my trepidations about Noodler's are unwarranted, but I also have problems with mainstream brands. The problem is that many of them, to my conservative way of thinking, aren't really "ink" in that they're not permanent, or they don't mention permanence so I'm unsure. I've even seen "washable", which makes it essentially food coloring to me. I would really like it if more brands would give a proper report of their archival and other physical properties. But that seems to not be the fashion, and perhaps some people would rather be in the dark regarding that can of worms anyway.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

digitalsedition (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I use Waterman ink and avoid all prejudice toward other ink stuff that may or may not exist.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Juul, if an ink has real permanence, it will say so. Otherwise, it has none (and doesn't bother saying that it has none). This seems to be the norm. If you want permanent inks, it's not hard to find them on the internet. There are also some charts around where ink characteristics are compared. Have you seen these?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 11th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 24th, 2020), LeFreak (October 4th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

@TSherbs, Thanks. Yes, I have no problem finding permanent inks. But I had always naively assumed that permanence was the desired goal and I have a hard time fathoming that non-permanent is indeed the norm. I am slowly waking up to that fact. I guess I had expected that non-permanent inks would be marked as such. Go ahead and laugh.

Thanks

The only reason I won't buy Noodler's inks again is the terrible experience both times I gave them a shot. Lexington Grey and 54th Mass were both feathery, murky messes for me.

Consistency is a hard line for me: if batches are a lottery, I'm not interested in buying a ticket. It's ink, not a crapshoot.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    @TSherbs, Thanks. Yes, I have no problem finding permanent inks. But I had always naively assumed that permanence was the desired goal and I have a hard time fathoming that non-permanent is indeed the norm. I am slowly waking up to that fact. I guess I had expected that non-permanent inks would be marked as such. Go ahead and laugh.
    Well, if we go back in time to when most all of the inks were made by the pen manufacturers, think on Sheaffer. They had bottles of ink known as Washable Blue, Blue, and Permanent Blue (and other colors as well). It is likely to assume that only one of those met your understanding of permanence being a part of the ink as a necessity. I know for a fact that the Washable Blue was the ink most used in school, for obvious reasons.

Today, inks for fountain pens serve many purposes, from a maker like Noodlers and the over-the-top focus (not in all their inks, though) on permanence to survive our sun going nova, all the way out to the glitter and sparkle and sheen inks from many companies that are not unlike painting your words on paper, ready to wash - or rub - off and not be a particular concern as to archival qualities. And everything in between.

These days, one looks to archival, document, permanent, and other such terms on an ink to consider they are getting just that.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 24th, 2020), Pterodactylus (September 25th, 2020), silverlifter (September 24th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 25th, 2020), TSherbs (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

I regularly use many of the permanent, archival, tamper-proof, fade-resistant Noodler's Inks. Some of those inks do stain the converter, and Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia has stained the feed on the Charlie Pen dedicated to it. For me, I'm fine with that. I'm using Pilot Blue-Black and Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao in some of my more expensive pens. I've also started getting into Robert Oster inks, but those are for fun. If I have serious writing (like journaling or notes on writing projects) that I want to last, I'm reaching for Noodler's Ink permanence.

I regularly ink up 54th Massachusetts in a Pilot Metropolitan (F) as it writes one nib size up (spread). I haven't seen issues with the ink damaging the pen, though. If I ink up a pen, I use it every day for at least a page or two. When I get through the volume, I clean the pen out, thoroughly, every time. I've seen some staining on converters, and touch of stain on the TWSBI Eco, but nothing excessive. This is totally subjective, but to me, it means I've gotten utility from those pens.

I've been wary of using these inks in my more expensive pens, for having read Richard Binder's articles. But many of them seen to do with an old formulation of Bay State Blue that melted latex sacks in vintage pens. That would freak me out, but then, I use mostly modern converter and piston-filling pens. Your mileage may vary. Aside from that, Bay State Blue is not a normal fountain pen ink. It is highly basic (alkaline) and must be treated with care. Most of the "bulletproof" inks are not like that, however.

I'll try Rohrer & Klinger Salix, and ESSRI, at some point, both reputedly well-behaved iron gall inks. Everything I've read tells me that the key is just cleaning out the pen properly, though. Even for Noodler's Inks.

I'm curious about what people's actual experience with these inks are. I like them, but discussions like these do make me worry about using them. How have all of you gotten along with Noodler's Inks?
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 651 Posts

My favorite inks come from Noodlers. My least favorite inks might, also.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 25th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Over the last ten years since someone at Goulet Pens wrote "thank you" on a packaging slip using Bay State Blue ink, I've used many different Noodler's inks.

Its brilliant blue spoke to me, and while I'm aware of concerns about it damaging pens, for me, pens are for using, so I use BSB in a used Montblanc 149 signature (OBBB) nib without problems. No problems in a 146 either. It does permanently tinge the nib, but that doesn't bother me and it didn't bother the buyer of the 146 to whom I sold it. I did heed Brian's advice at Edison Pens and didn't use BSB in the clear Menlo demonstrator he custom made for me.

Nathan's sense of humor on his labels led me to try other colors including Nikita, Dark Matter, Zhivago (the first movie I saw in a theater was Dr. Zhivago), and Rachmaninoff. His fluorescing inks - Blue Ghost (visible only under UV), Firefly, Eire, Dragon's Napalm, and Hellfire are among my other favorites.

Now if I could just convince some of my correspondents to buy a UV light so I could send them letters written with Blue Ghost.

Best wishes for your writing, and with any Noodler's inks you decide to try.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

bluerroses (January 2nd, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (September 25th, 2020), TSherbs (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    To "terminate with extreme prejudice" is not going to be a happy occasion, which is an... extreme version of the definition morphing.
    Jerry Ziesmer had just that one line and he knocked it out of the park.