Thread: Found a 51

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Found a 51

I knew it was dangerous going to the antique store this morning. Pens galore! I managed to come home with "only" two pens, one of which was the pictured 51. Yay!

But then two 45's arrived in the mail. What is happening to me?! I think I may have a problem.

The "51" is an Aerometric 12K GF cap, brassing on the arrow, scuffed cap and plastic, one of the nib tines was slightly bent and it was full of dried up ink gunk. But after adjusting and extensive flushing...

It writes!

Not surprisingly, it does so better than the Hero I posted about, though it still may need some tuning.

It is rough looking, sure, but I like it and it is mine. Now to date it. It has an "8" next to made in USA. Can't tell if the filler cage is steel or aluminum but leaning towards the latter.

Last edited by azkid; April 6th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

amk (April 7th, 2018), carlos.q (April 6th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 7th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 7th, 2018), sharmon202 (April 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Found a 51

Congratulations!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,742 Posts

I hatez u nao.

Kidding! Congratulations...I love older pens with character.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

The 8 represents 1948. The year is divided into quarters defined by the number of dots around the 8. First quarter has 3 dots and subsequent quarters Parker removed a dot. If you have no dots, then yours is from the fourth quarter. They are great pens. And in my case they are highly addictive. If 51’s become interesting and/or addictive, get the book “Parker 51” by David and Mark Shepard, it is a valuable resource. The Parker51.com website is another great resource.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

What a nice find! I always prefer finding a pen with a bit of 'brassing adds character' - I never feel fearful of actually using it.

Thanks

azkid

If you a moment or two to spare please can you tell me what is printed on the cap band of your pen – PARKER etc…..

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    azkid

If you a moment or two to spare please can you tell me what is printed on the cap band of your pen – PARKER etc…..

Many thanks
    Sure! And more...

On the cap:

"1/10 12K Gold Filled" and opposite that "Parker"

On the barrel, "Made in U.S.A. 8"

On the hood, nothing. The pen has a single cap jewel, the cap an arrow with no blue diamond.

On the Aerometric cage (all caps):

PARKER "51" / To Fill / Press ribbed bar / Firmly 4 times / Use dry writing / Superchrome Ink /Holding pen point / Down, wipe point / With soft tissue / The Parker pen co. / Made in U.S.A.

Based on the above, and this image posted to FPN, it appears to be a 1948 model; 60 years old this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/7194192604/

Last edited by azkid; April 9th, 2018 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

Well, this looks better to me!

A number of posts about P51 ink flow advised: soak your neglected "51" before first use!

So into the bath went this 1948 pen, enjoying a 24-hour soak in water with a dab of soap and a small portion of ammonia. The spa package included repeated flushing and ultrasonic treatments, finished by flushing a number of times with water.

I loaded the pen with Diamine Macassar, a small bottle of which arrived in the mail from an order placed days before this Parker acquisition.

Now I know that changing two variables at once does not make for a scientific experiment, but I figured what the heck. And the results, as you can see, are positive.

The flow is far more consistent and controlled and the light color attests to far less ink being put down.

The nib remains smooth and moves with great ease; I find myself wanting to write faster with this pen than any I've ever used. Is that a "51" thing?

Anyway, the pen is happier and so am I.

Thanks

What is a 51 thing is that it writes every time. I am curious to know if you plan to make total disassembly a part of your regular maintenance. Good luck with it, because every disassembly and reassembly brings with it the possibility of something breaking. I bought a navy blue 51 in 1970. I have never removed the hood. The pen writes perfectly. Almost 48 years. After serving as an ICBM Maintenance Officer in the 1970s I learned the value of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 9th, 2018), Deb (April 9th, 2018), jar (April 9th, 2018), lsmith42 (April 9th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Fear not -- I have yet to disassemble it. Given it's excellent performance subsequent to cleaning, I doubt I will live to see this pen require more than mere flushing.

Incidentally, it handled my plane travel with aplomb. No leaks, drips, or any ill behavior whatsoever. It wrote nicely during flight and after landing.

Thanks

Azkid,

You have a very special pen.

It is part of Parker history.

The release date for the Parker 51 was late February 1949, they spent $250,000 ( old dollar when $4 -5 was equal to 1£ - about £75,000 ) on the release campaign, a fortune back then.

Your pen is pre release 51 production pen, in 35 years, I have only seen 2 others both with lustraloy caps ( I have one ), never seen a Custom one before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    The release date for the Parker 51 was late February 1949, ...
    Thank you for your note. I must apologize but I felt I should mention that the info I have found states the introductory year for the "51" was 1941 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_51, http://parker51.com/index.php/education/51-history/, http://www.richardspens.com/index_m....rofiles/51.htm, etc) pardon me if I have misunderstood your comment.

By the way, here is some interesting info on first year "51" pens in case anyone is curious:
    http://parker51.com/index.php/51s/51-versions/

Thanks

The first 51's were Vacumatic filler models. I have a 1948 first quarter 51 Demi Vacumatic. Which is 70 years old not 60.

Aerometric models were later on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Azkid

I was talking about your pen.

It is a Aerometric 51, I assumed you knew that.

You mention ' introductory year for the "51" was 1941 ' - They were 51 vacumatic's not your pen, they are very different.

Thanks

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for explaining and relieving my confusion.

The 8 date code has no dots that I can see; per an earlier post, it is dated 4Q1948. Quite exciting and lucky I found this.

It is such fun to write with... Quite a few notes taken today. I am rather smitten, I must confess.
    Last edited by azkid; April 10th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.