Thread: Photo test from pc

Thanks

Default Photo test from pc

Thanks

Default Re: Photo test from pc

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

No success yet. Try ensuring your Jpeg picture is fairly small. No wider than 1060 pixels at 300 pixels per inch is about as high as you need. It's best to crop first to get the right details in, then resize it.

Then go back to one of your two posts above and press Edit Post. Scroll down to Additional Options and press Manage Attachments. When the File Upload Manager box comes up, press Add files (top right corner of box) Then Choose File from your computer, and press Upload. Once it's uploaded and appears in the Attachments box at the bottom of the window, with a tick in the right hand bottom corner, and you can see a 1 next to Insert Inline, click on Insert Inline and it inserts it into your editor window. Just before you insert it though, ensure your cursor is in the correct position in your editor window i.e. your post
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 8th, 2018 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Is there a maximum for photos uploaded to the site? Selected photos no longer upload for me. I figure I'll have to go back and delete old photos to make space.

Thanks

if there is I don't appear to have reached it yet and I have loads of photos uploaded. At least we can delete old photos on here if we want to.

Thanks

I uploaded successfully using another browser, and Safari browser is suspect, but only with FPGeeks!

I haven't resolved this, yet. I did change a lot of settings while trying to download device software a couple days ago, so I need to spend time to find the glitch, one of my least enjoyable things to do. But why only FPGeeks? If any Mac geeks have a suggestion, it'd be welcome.

Edit to add:
    - I deleted 2 MB of old photos from my attached photos. That did not solve the issue.

- I'm getting closer. In FPGeek vBulletin General Settings, I turned off Enhanced Attachment Uploading, and I could upload. I turned it back on, and uploads failed again. WTF? Now I have to turn it off to upload, turn it on to imbed the photo(s) in the post, off again to proceed. This is not making sense to me.

- Deleting cached data a few days back isn't a fix, but it seems clearing the entire cache fixes the symptom. But what is the cure?
    Last edited by FredRydr; July 31st, 2018 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks

I always use Safari and Manage Attachments to upload my pictures onto FPG. Maybe it is a Safari setting that you have checked, that I don't?

I've never used anything other than Safari & Manage Attachments since I bought this iMac & MacBook.

I have Enhanced Attachment Uploading on and have never changed that setting since I joined FPG.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 31st, 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

One thing to keep in mind: if you frequent more than one place, it makes sense to have your photos stored at some central location and then link to them. If I were to upload a photo here, it would be difficult or not possible to share it on other forums. You also have the issue of running out of space, etc.

There are a number of freely available sites to park photos, and while they might morph over time (as the old Photobucket did in royally bad fashion) most are stable. I've been using Imgur for a number of years and it is a snap to upload a photo there and then share on Facebook, IG, FPG, FPN, Pentrace or reddit... or anywhere else I want to.

Just a thought.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I don't think it's possible to run out of space on FPG.

This is what it says on my attachments: You are currently using 359.15 MB to store 566 uploaded attachments.

Whatever Fred's current problem is, I don't think it's anything to do with FPG or too many attachments. I think it will be a Safari setting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I don't think it's possible to run out of space on FPG.

This is what it says on my attachments: You are currently using 359.15 MB to store 566 uploaded attachments.

Whatever Fred's current problem is, I don't think it's anything to do with FPG or too many attachments. I think it will be a Safari setting.
    Well, honestly, nothing about that addresses whether there is a limit - it could be 500mb for all we know. This also doesn't address the issue of sharing these same images elsewhere.

Mind you, I'm not saying it doesn't work or isn't a valid way for people to share pics here on FPG. It may actually be the *best* alternative for some folks. I'm just also mentioning other options.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I guess it's possible there is a limit of 500mb. Maybe i'll find out soon.

Thanks

I guess it's possible there is a limit of 500mb. Maybe i'll find out soon.
    Oh, that was just picking a round number out of thin air. If it's a GB, you're good for a few years!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I was up to 90MB, about 680 attachments. I deleted 2MB and it didn't make a difference.

By the way, I usually shrink images to 600x800 before uploading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I was up to 90MB, about 680 attachments. I deleted 2MB and it didn't make a difference.

By the way, I usually shrink images to 600x800 before uploading.
    That's at least two of us who crop & shrink images before uploading. I've seen many large images on here that aren't resized.

Thanks

Default Photo test from pc

It's happening again! Photos were uploading, then only intermittently, finally not at all, despite shrinking file size and repeatedly clearing cache. Then vBulletin version 4 allowed photos to upload when setting up a separate post in the same thread, but then blocked again!

FPGeeks creaking along in version 4 reminds me of the ship in William Golding's trilogy To the Ends of the Earth, where the rotting old man o' war is literally falling apart as it sails from England to the Antipodes (Australia) just after the turn of the 18th century, losing its keel, its mast and other important bits and pieces, and the captain is deaf to pleas that he take the ship into port en route for maintenance and repairs.
    Last edited by FredRydr; September 9th, 2018 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks

I just came across this thread again. Did you both get your photos to upload successfully? I haven't run out of space.... yet.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I just came across this thread again. Did you both get your photos to upload successfully? I haven't run out of space.... yet.
    It seems to come and go. I don't think it's a space issue, but rather is a vBulletin maintenance issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

It's gremlins. You have to leave them milk and cookies, preferably ones with chocolate and sprinkles. You should see an immediate improvement once you put some out.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I accidentally uploaded the png version of an image for discussion, instead of the jpg version. It was 3.4 megabytes, so I don't think image size is the issue. For me the problem was learning how the advanced editor worked to upload them in the first place.

Thanks

Just use Imgur folks.