Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montblanc 344G

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc 344G

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    It is very unlikely that G stands for Glanz.

Imo G stands for Gold and I´ve never heard something different anywhere.
    The gold nib pens were tagged with G.

If a G marked pen has no Gold nib in it for me that would mean that the original nib was replaced some time (valid for at least Montblanc pens)
    When they use Edelharz as the descriptor for their resin, I would not be surprised that the "G" stood for Glanzig or Glanz. On that note, I've now seen multiple forums with multiple contributors heavily into MB collecting all more or less agree that the "G" stood for Glanzig or Glanz so that you "never heard something different anywhere", this thread included, means you are either not looking very hard or are assuming that people are wrong across multiple platforms.

Edit to add: "G" representing Goldfeder is a likely possibility, but it doesn't make sense to see a "G" delegation on something like a 244 where it wasn't offered with a steel nib at all. There would be no need to stamp it "G" when the 2xx line was assumed to be the second tier pen that would have gold nibs vs. the 3xx lines that could come with either.
    There are 24X series pens with steel nibs. 24X series pens had 2 versions. The later one that I believe you are refering to and an early one that had flat tops and that was produced either with Gold or steel nibs. Even if the later version was not produced with steel nibs that alone does not mean the G was not an indication that G stands for gold. Remember that in the very early 50's, when the later 24X version was produced, MB also produced other models with gold or steel nibs, and having the G was a way to diferenciate and give the buyer a more premium feel.

Without period documentation we cannot be 100% sure, but it does a lot more sence than G stands for Gold rather then Glanz.

As I said early, current Montblanc boutique managers and employes have no clue about pre 1970 fountain pens. They are not definitelly a good source to explain this. Even the repair guys are not a good source, they are only trained in modern pen repairs. If you take a pre 1960 pen to a Montblanc repair service they will not repair it or will deliver it to an outside repair man. They no longer have in house expertise or replacement parts regarding these pre 1970 pens.

I really doubt G stands for anything else than Gold nib
    Last edited by piscov; May 21st, 2018 at 04:04 AM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

Thanks

Will, the most important here in this thread is your fantastic talent to use that great nib to make your drowings. I envy your talent! I wish I could give my pens 10% of the good use you give yours!

One suggestion, why don't you make a thread about your drawings? Christof has a great thread about his collection and also about is drawings and is IMHO the best thread on FPN.

A thread that could show us an alternative use of a fountain pen by a talented user like yourself is something I would follow eagerly.
    Last edited by piscov; May 21st, 2018 at 02:46 AM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

3. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Only because something is written in the net even several times does not mean it is true, especially in non German speaking sources commenting/guessing about German companies.
    Did you not read my comment above? Someone working for Montblanc, at a Montblanc Repair Center told me G is for 'Glanz'. Who is guessing here?
    I still does not believe it, it just make no sense.
    Nobody would name a product like that.

If I would tell you that e.g. Parker tagged their gold nib pens with G for glaze, would you believe me? I guess not.

Thanks

I can give you several German sources which claims that G stands for Goldfeder (gold nib):

http://www.fountainpen.de/sini-ueberblick-50.

Modell mit der Zusatzbezeichnung "G"
    Nach dem 2. Weltkrieg waren die Goldvorräte erschöpft . Montblanc produzierte deshalb auch Füllhalter der Meisterstücke mit einer Stahlfeder. Um dies zu kennzeichnen, bekamen die Meisterstücke mit einer Goldfeder die Zusatzbezeichung "G". Hier war garantiert, dass dieses Modell eine Goldfeder besitzt.

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu...opic.php?t=620

G means 100% Goldfeder, your explanation does not make sense, and if you would speak German you would also know it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

dfo (May 20th, 2018), FredRydr (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

...if you would speak German you would also know it.
    Thank you. Knowing the language to understand the origin of an abbreviation makes sense.

What was the need to mark the pen for the gold nib? Warranty? Marketing?

penwash, what a great pen!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Hi Fred.

Modell mit der Zusatzbezeichnung "G"
    Nach dem 2. Weltkrieg waren die Goldvorräte erschöpft . Montblanc produzierte deshalb auch Füllhalter der Meisterstücke mit einer Stahlfeder. Um dies zu kennzeichnen, bekamen die Meisterstücke mit einer Goldfeder die Zusatzbezeichung "G". Hier war garantiert, dass dieses Modell eine Goldfeder besitzt.

Translation:
    Models with the additional tag „G“
    After WW2 the gold supply was depleted. Montblanc produced therefore also Masterpiece pens with steel nibs. To Tag which kind of nib was used the Masterpieces with gold nib got the additional tag „G“. This guaranteed that pens with the „G“ tag were equipped with a gold nib.

I copied this text from the 50s Masterpiece section of fountainpen.de
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 20th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks

"Glanz" has more connotations than just "shiny" at least when compared to English. Again, if someone decided to translate Edelharz as Precious Resin, which is a gross mis-translation IMO, Glanz as a descriptor doesn't seem far off. If quality resin can be a sell point, why not a term that, historically, can also mean "brilliant" in the gemstone sense of the word as well as "glamour". Not exactly a modern one-to-one translation to "shiny". Case in point, there are vintage Christmas decorations named Shiny Brite, which were made by a German immigrant no less, when he could no longer import them from Germany directly.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Brite

We can go round and round concerning linguistics, but saying Glanz is equal to Shiny is a lazy translation in the same way as if we translated Sehnsucht as Craving. Not technically wrong, but also a poor translation.

Goldfeder is the most likely delegation, to me, especially with Vasco's input regarding 2xx with steel nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Will, the most important here in this thread is your fantastic talent to use that great nib to make your drowings. I envy your talent! I wish I could give my pens 10% of the good use you give yours!

One suggestion, why don't you make a thread about your drawings? Christof has a great thread about his collection and also about is drawings and is IMHO the best thread here in FPN.

A thread that could show us an alternative use of a fountain pen by a talented user like yourself is something I would follow eagerly.
    Hi Piscov, thank you for your kind comment on my sketches.

We have quite a few drawing/sketching threads here on FPG under the Arts & Calligraphy sub-forum.

One of them is this: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...n-pen-sketches

I'm glad that quite a few of us like to use fountain pens for drawing, not just writing. To me, it is very enjoyable and the approach and experience is very different than pencil.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thanks Will! I have marked that thread for follow up!

Kind regards,

Vasco
    Best regards
    Vasco