Thread: Modern Parker Duofolds

Thanks

Default Modern Parker Duofolds

So, I have long fancied the Modern Parker Duofolds. I am not sure why. It is not something I would collect or want a dozen of but somehow have always wanted one choice example. I have always wanted one, especially, out of the Newhaven Factory (I have and love so many old UK made Parkers) and have especially liked the Mk I pens as I find the 'banner' nibs and 'ace' nibs a little, uh, zany (if not entirely w/o charm) and I also quite like the plain black finial or pendulum emblem. But that vacumatic-like arrow nib is handsome and classic.

I have eyed them from a distance, not able to get to any pen shows and finding the local new and NOS product all up over $1,000.00 etc here.

I notice that the Centennials go for a LOT more than the internationals. That prices are all over the map on these and some colors, such as the orange (which were more even when new) go for absolute crazy money (That Jasper Red is gorgeous)

What is the verdict on these? I have heard really wildly varying comments and reviews. I have heard of feed problems on the 'banner' nib pens, that they are nothing special, that they are in fact something special and so on. That the acrylic is super thick and strudy, that the acrylic is made in some special way and is actually quite frail. That the caps seal great & that the nibs dry out. All over the map. Etc.

I think of these as akin to the 90s Sheaffers (Last gasp of a great company) such as the brilliant 90s Crest Reissue, the Balance IIs, quasi-imperial triumphs, the Legacy I, etc. Some of those are great pens. I adore the Crest RI.

But I honestly don't know what these Duofolds are like as I have never had one in my paws.

Further disclosure, I bought one. High on cold medicine I sent an ebay seller an offer. They sen't a counter offer. I saw a few other auctions for the exact same pen that were crazy.

I ended up with an orange 1991 Mk. I International for just over $300 shipped which I thought was high (most I have spent on a pen ever) but am beginning to think is a good price as there are 2 more orange Mk 1s on ebay now (one international and one centennial) and both are a twice what I paid.

I know these orange ones were more when new and from 1991 to 193 were considered 'limited editions' that Parker then just added to the line up (that probably pissed a few folks off), but the combo of nib imprint, finial emblem, color is literally the exact one that I wanted and I frankly don't think I will ever be able to afford a Centennial sized one.

My impression is that the International is roughly M600 size and the Centennial is roughly M800 size. I have and use and love both of those pens so I am guessing that I won't find the International size too small.

Anyone a fan of these pens? What am I in for?

Thanks

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

da vinci (April 14th, 2018), Hawk (February 3rd, 2019), jodylud (October 10th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (April 15th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018), Rossler (June 1st, 2018), usk15 (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Modern Parker Duofolds

That is a very nice pen! Lovely colors too!

I was looking for a modern Duofold myself for a while, but the price kept me away. That until last year, when I manage to get a Centenial from a local antique shop for good price. Used, no box, and change the nib from another user at FPN.

I like the simplicity of the pen, a classic flat top design along with another classic :torpedo shape from Montblanc pens. These 2 shapes influenced a lot the fountain pen design. Centenial is a big pen, sturdy, hefty and has good balance. Another thing that I like on modern pens is the filling system: C/C. Now the nib that I have received I found to be a little bit scratchy; I still need to tinker a bit or maybe to send the pen for a nib work, but I like how the pen it feel when I use it.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

da vinci (April 14th, 2018), Hawk (April 14th, 2018), jodylud (October 10th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (April 15th, 2018), morningtundra (May 21st, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018), stub (April 14th, 2018)

Thanks

That's a handsome looking pen. Hope you get the nib how you like it. I can get most of mine there on my own but every once in while I get one I can't get right and I have to send it off. Hope this one is great out of the box since I live in the land fountain pens forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post
    I like the simplicity of the pen, a classic flat top design along with another classic :torpedo shape from Montblanc pens. These 2 shapes influenced a lot the fountain pen design.
    I think you meant to say torpedo shape from Sheaffer. /wink

Thanks

I have both the international and centennial models, both in blue marble finish, which I think is beautiful. I find both comfortable and reliable.
    I would say from my limited experience that they are great pens. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I think you meant to say torpedo shape from Sheaffer. /wink
    Well, folks these days associate torpedo shape to Montblanc....but I think you're right, Sheaffer was the first one!

Thanks

I have never understood the attraction of modern or old Duofolds.

Most probably because I am not that bright.

Have bought a few internationals to try.

What I never understood is why they are so expensive – over £350 each ( NOS )

Technically they are perfect but very simple engineering.

Just a large pen with a big nib.

I always thought that the late Meru Parker 75’s were better and vastly cheaper.

Perhaps a 75 Placé Vendômé Flamme is the best Parker pen ?

Or a later Sonnet Pearl and Silver ( easily the best cap Parker ever produced by miles )

If you have the opportunity read Zazove & Shepherd's book on the Duofold, it is a masterpiece

Thanks

The Duofold is definitely on my list hopefully I will get one before the end year. I've owned most of the modern Parker at one point or another Jotthr/15 Vector, Reflex, Frontier, IM, Sonnet etc. But never quite a Duofold. For me, the Amber Checkard international is the one that appeals to me the most.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

I only have one Parker Duofold Centennial. It has a very nice large F/M nib, but it tended to dry out if I left it in the pen case for a couple of weeks.

As a temporary fix (while it's still mine) I stuck a small piece of transparent tape over the breather hole under the clip. It makes a difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

The only one that attracted me was the Jasper finish, but I've never seen one for sale. Daresay the cost would be prohibitive though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    The only one that attracted me was the Jasper finish, but I've never seen one for sale. Daresay the cost would be prohibitive though.
    Think I have seen maybe 2 jaspers for sale on eBay. A rare finish.

Thanks

The Jasper Red is gorgeous. There is a Jasper Red Barrel for sale on eBay now, I haven't seen a whole pen for sale in a while but that finish is really great looking.

Thanks

Nice pen....but what really caught my eye was your pen pillow! Another excuse to open up another bottle!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush64 View Post
    Nice pen....but what really caught my eye was your pen pillow! Another excuse to open up another bottle!!

A good excuse!

Thanks

So the pen is here and my initial impressions are as follows:

The pen is more slender than I thought it would be. I always hear how the International is like the M600 and the Centennial is like the M800. & it looks that way in pictures but a side to side comparison reveals that the Duofold International is a bit thinner. In fact if you try to swap caps you quickly see that the diameter of the Duofold International is a bit smaller & the M600 cap swallows the Duofold, though the pens are nearly identical in length both capped and uncapped.

But ... the Duofold International nib is a bit bigger than the M600 and is quite an hunk of metal. The nib on the Duofold International MK. I is gorgeous and very closely mimics the old Vacumatic nibs in design. I adore it.

And ... the nib on the Duofold International is on par with my M800 in terms of performance. It bests my M600s. It is big, juicy and a little soft. While the Duofold International may be more comparable to the M600 as a pen the nib is maybe a bit closer to the M800 and makes me wonder how a MK1 nib Centennial must be. Nib and feed on this pen is fantastic, big wet smooth and really a lot like a Pelikan M800, if not quite as large and ornate.

The fit and finish on the pen is surprisingly good. The hardware and finial medallion is similar in detail to a Sailor Pro gear but superior in detail but then the pendulum design demands more detail than the anchor logo but one of the joys of a Sailor Pro Gear one is that anchor finial medallion (ironically my PG1 is also orange). The acrylic on the pen is surprisingly thick and the color oddly mimics the original duofold pens of old pretty well. I have several 1920s Duos and the color is very close even if the material can't match the texture of the original ebonite.

Honestly, I am impressed. The ergonomics are good (more slender than I expected but by no means a deal breaker). The fit and finish and aesthetics are all great, love that arrow nib... and the nib is spectacularly smooth and wet. A really broad Medium (lovers of Japanese nibs beware, this is Pelikan territory on the tipping here) that gives up the ink.

Sample size of 1, *and* Honeymoon period so take this with a grain of salt but i sort of half expected to be disappointed but so far I am pleased and surprised. Were these overpriced new? Probably. Are they high quality Newhaven made pens worthy of a flagship entry for a historically important brand. I think so. c/c but I am okay with that. I have a ton of c/c parkers and this might be a great travel pen, grab a box of Aurora Blue carts and a P45 travel companion and go.

Loaded with Sailor Blue Black & Pleased as punch so far.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Hawk (April 26th, 2018), Rossler (June 1st, 2018)

Thanks

If you like more girth the centennial is a joy