Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain pens: swampy ground for newbies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Fountain pens: swampy ground for newbies

Fountain pens: the myths.

As a user of fountain pens for a number of recent years, and more years in my youth, it surprises me that certain myths surrounding pens and their use persist so strongly. I cannot help but feel that some of these myths have become self-perpetuating and may actually cause distress in new users.

In no particular order:

Myth #1 – gold nibs are better than steel nibs.

Give me one legitimate reason why this is true.

As it turns out, in the gamut of steel nibs everything from nail to noodle can be found. The same can be said of gold nibs. In light of this variety across ALL nibs, no general statement comparing gold and steel can be true.

Of course, if you prefer gold to steel because you think it looks nicer, well, that’s a question of personal taste and therefore subjective.

Myth #2 – gold nibs are smoother than steel nibs.

The smoothness of the nib depends on 4 factors.

1. The finishing or polish of the tipping.
    2. The flow of ink.
    3. The lubricating quality of the ink.
    4. The paper you are writing on.

None of these factors has any special relationship with either gold or steel. Some may argue that gold nibs allow ink to flow more freely than steel, but that has yet to be proven to any significant level.

All nibs with tipping can write like the proverbial butter on hot glass, if the tipping is adjusted to allow for this.

Myth #3 – the size of your hands dictates the size of pen that will suit you.

While this may be true of a pair of gloves, the same is not true of fountain pens. Although there were some very large pens made during the so-called golden era of fountain pens, their scarcity in the marketplace today suggests that they were never made nor sold in great quantity. Most vintage pens are much smaller than some of the behemoths we see today. The preference for oversize pens now is largely a conceit based on either the notion that bigger = better (likely bigger = more expensive = better – see Myth #4), or a received wisdom on sizes that people have chosen not to question and thus blindly perpetuate.

Myth #4 - expensive pens are better than cheap pens.

This one is trickier. In terms of functionality it is clearly not true. There are expensive pens that have awful problems out of the box, and super cheap pens that write and write well for years without issues. In terms of perceived satisfaction with the tool in hand it falls soundly into the realm of personal taste – again, subjective as in Myth #1.

Myth #5
    – you must aspire to bigger and more expensive pens to record your ‘progress’ as a pen user.

While this is never said in such a bold fashion, it can be easily derived from the data in any fountain pen enthusiast forum.

There is a less than subtle pressure on the new user to cast off the training wheels of the Pilot Metropolitan (or similar) and start down the path toward a Montblanc 149 (or if particularly endowed, toward Namiki Emperors and the like).

Myth #6 – vintage is better than modern.

On what basis is this assumption made? The quality of the holder? The nib? The filling system? The materials? The style?

If you prefer vintage to modern that is again taste and not objectivity.

Well, those are just some of the myths I see pushed forward here and elsewhere, whether deliberate or not. For sure there are others that I’ve forgotten to mention.

The point of all this is that I feel that a new user stepping into this forum, or any similar forum, will find themselves ensnared in a web of misinformation that may well lead to ill-advised expensive decisions and a great deal of stress.
    That is certainly how I felt coming back to fountain pens after so many years away. In my youth I used Sheaffer school pens and Parker IM. When I came here I fell for the line that I must chase luxury pens, or hard to find pens, both of which are expensive, and ended up wasting a lot of money for very little in satisfaction by way of return.

My advice to new pen users is to stay with your fully-functioning Metropolitan (or similar) and really get to learn and enjoy the feel of nib and ink on paper. Everything else is just bling.

Bonus facts.

A. There is no significant quality difference among independent makers of pens (barring outfits like Hakase, Nakaya and so on), so if you go that route, go with one that has the design you want. The steel nibs are all generic anyway – unless you want to stump up an extra $100 for a generic gold nib.

B. Reviews of pens using generic nibs do not need an exposition on their writing quality. They are all the same unless they’ve been fiddled with.

C. Using a dip pen is not an arcane skill. If you pay attention or get a good teacher it will take you 10 minutes to get the hang of writing monoline with a dip pen. From there, the world is your mollusc of choice
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; April 15th, 2018 at 01:30 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aaronp (April 23rd, 2018), Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), ceebert (October 18th, 2019), fereous (April 21st, 2018), gbryal (April 15th, 2018), hansdown (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018), HoarderHoarder (July 10th, 2020), KKay (April 30th, 2018), Medieval (April 15th, 2018), Morgaine (April 15th, 2018), NibsForScript (April 16th, 2018), Paddler (April 15th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018), Robert (April 15th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018), suzy01 (April 21st, 2018), titrisol (April 18th, 2018), top pen (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain pens: swampy ground for newbies

Thank you for doing this. I agree with all of it, especially your Number 5! People in these forums never discuss the pleasure of writing, which is, after all, what pens are for.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambimom For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Hey EoC, or should I call you Mystbuster from now on.

I agree on all your points (most fully, some at least partly)

For me personally some additions (might only valid for me)

I prefer usually vintage pens because most of the modern pen are rigid (nails) and have a (in my eyes) boring spherical blob nib grind (which allow every noob ballpoint barbarian to write without any problems regarding nib alignment, angle and pressure).
    But this is not a given thing, grinds can be changed and flexiblility can be added for many.

Quality pens cost some money.
    Good design, product development, customer care (repair, replacement parts, ...), quality materials, quality management, production excellence and western production sites cost money.

A well made piston filler from one of the big players will always be something completely different than e.g. a cheap Chinese (knock off ) crap pen.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; April 15th, 2018 at 08:53 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Cob (April 15th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,481 Times in 4,009 Posts

What might seem like myths to some don't necessarily seem like myths to others.

Each to their own.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 15th, 2018), Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Cob (April 15th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), Jon Szanto (April 15th, 2018), oldstoat (April 16th, 2018), penwash (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

As a relative newbie to fountain pens, thank you for this write up. I have no "aspirations" in terms of fountain pens, and it's reassuring that not everyone will try to cajole me along the path of "needing" more or better. A few cheap modern pens, and a relatively small spectrum of inks, have on the whole got me quite satisfied. I expect to place another ink order soon, and I have my eye on a pocket pen, and after that I just plan on enjoying using them - not collecting them, not upgrading them, not going on some form of quest - just writing letters, and notes, and shopping lists.

I don't want gold nibs, or flexible nibs, or custom nibs. I don't want classics, or grail pens, or new old stock. I don't want paper that costs a fortune, or cases, or vintage ink wells. I don't even want to try and change my handwriting. I just want to use a fountain pen instead of a ballpoint. I have no intention of spending £30+ on a pen, or £10+ for a bottle of ink. I have no problems with others doing so, so long as they accept that I don't want to follow suit. I have already discovered that I can enjoy fountain pens with very little expenditure. I have no doubt that my choices would leave others unsatisfied, but it's not their needs and desires that I'm aiming to satisfy. I am enjoying using cheap pens and cheap inks, and don't intend to change that just because someone else thinks that I am using inferior products.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), fountainpenkid (April 15th, 2018), KKay (April 30th, 2018), suzy01 (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks

I already see the gold believers jump on this train (as many times before)... (and I agree fully to your opinion on this EoC, as the material does not really matter, nor specific attributes are bound to a specific material, nor the material can be felt, nor.....)

We should grab some Popcorn, as this might become entertaining.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    As a relative newbie to fountain pens, thank you for this write up. I have no "aspirations" in terms of fountain pens, and it's reassuring that not everyone will try to cajole me along the path of "needing" more or better. A few cheap modern pens, and a relatively small spectrum of inks, have on the whole got me quite satisfied. I expect to place another ink order soon, and I have my eye on a pocket pen, and after that I just plan on enjoying using them - not collecting them, not upgrading them, not going on some form of quest - just writing letters, and notes, and shopping lists.

I don't want gold nibs, or flexible nibs, or custom nibs. I don't want classics, or grail pens, or new old stock. I don't want paper that costs a fortune, or cases, or vintage ink wells. I don't even want to try and change my handwriting. I just want to use a fountain pen instead of a ballpoint. I have no intention of spending £30+ on a pen, or £10+ for a bottle of ink. I have no problems with others doing so, so long as they accept that I don't want to follow suit. I have already discovered that I can enjoy fountain pens with very little expenditure. I have no doubt that my choices would leave others unsatisfied, but it's not their needs and desires that I'm aiming to satisfy. I am enjoying using cheap pens and cheap inks, and don't intend to change that just because someone else thinks that I am using inferior products.
    Perfectly fine Wuddus, do and use whatever you like and enjoy.
    At the end only the fun and enjoyment using our pens counts, no matter how many pens you have or how expensive or cheap they are

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), oldstoat (April 16th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018), Wuddus (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Moldern gold nibs are no better than modern steel nibs, in my experience. With older pens it's a different matter. Old steel nibs didn't stand up well to the ink that was used back then and became pitted. Plating steel nibs delayed that but only for a time as the plating wore off. That's why gold nibs were rightly highly esteemed back in the day. Gold had a practical benefit over steel then.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (April 15th, 2018), Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Cob (April 15th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), fountainpenkid (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018), Jon Szanto (April 15th, 2018), oldstoat (April 16th, 2018), penwash (April 15th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018), suzy01 (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks

I can't find anything here to disagree with, including the comments so far.

#3 is interesting and I've begun to come around to it. Some vintage pens I found too small at first really aren't at all.

With point 6 I think I agree, but I agree with the reverse also. It's down to the pen. A modern pen isn't necessarily a pen that has progressively improved through the power of science. These are simple machines and many of the early models got it right the first time, and that they are still with us now and continue to work is a testament to their design. We do begin to overlook the flaws of things we love though. Standard international converters are extraordinarily convenient and sometimes as I coax the last drops of ink from my lever filler I wish I had the same pen with a converter.

I don't disagree with bonus point A, though I would say if there's no difference, it's probably because we have some outstanding makers who are all doing quality work. I'd also say there is some fine work being done with filling systems that isn't trivial and that is a distinguishing characteristic even within the boutique JoWo/Bock world. You didn't say who you were talking about in particular but Shawn Newton, Edison Pen Co., Franklin-Christoph, Carolina Pen Co. etc. came to mind. F-C has innovated with interesting acrylic treatments (like the coke bottle glass) and with high tolerance fit on their slip caps. I am sure there are other differentiating factors.

I have mentioned point B to a few reviewers. It sort of puzzles me why a pen gets low or high marks for its JoWo nib, though in a way I understand: if the company in question claims to test and adjust them on the way out the door. Sometimes that applies to a pen store more than a maker, but in some cases either or both. Otherwise, it's odd to judge a pen on the inherent variation between JoWo or Bock nib samples.

I'd add a few myths of my own:

Smooth is always better
    Flexible is always better
    The pen you haven't tried yet that someone told you is better than your favorite pen really is better and the one you have now sucks.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018), Rossler (April 15th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

@Deb, that really depends on where you draw your timeline. In the very, very early days when most ink would likely have been iron gall this may have been true. As time goes on and inks change it is not true. This can be evidenced by the steel war-time nibs that are now 70 years or so old and show no such corrosion. I have here in my hand a Pelikan 100N with such a steel nib. Close inspection shows no corrosion at all. So, while I agree in principle (and obviously gold is less reactive than steel anyway), taking a broad look at the "golden era" of pen and ink I would still say that this is not the case in practice.

The purpose of this thread is to raise awareness and stimulate discussion. The use and collection of fountain pens today is in many ways radically different to what it was. This is similar to what is happening in the EDC* community, where bespoke knives, backpacks, flashlights and so on have become the gear de rigeur over and above the practical need that should be at the heart of the principle of EDC.

*for those unfamiliar with the term, EDC = everyday carry, and refers to a group of people who (in two broad subsets) represent those who support the idea of 'prepping' (being prepared for emergency, zombies, end of the world and so on) and those who share their every day tools (not in the prepping category). The first show their knives, guns, bug-out bags and what not, the second tend to show their watches, phones, key chains and so on. That's slightly generalised of course and there is much overlap depending on perceptions.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018)

Thanks

I have a 1940s Langs pen with a gold plated nib. The plating has partly worn off and the exposed steel is pitted. That's one example from many of that time period I could quote. So not very, very early and exactly those wartime nibs.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Fair enough. Your one example and my one example do not exactly make strong statistics. I will stand by my statement as a generalisation. And look to today just how many steel nibs are now in production. Obviously ink formualtion has changed and it isn't as harsh as it once was. It'll be interesting to examine all those Jowo steel nibs in 50 years, eh?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

ambimom (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks

Let me add that the cost of the pen has nothing to do with service from the seller. My first TWSBI was not performing at all. I sent an email to TWSBI. Philip Wang responded personally within hours, offered to take a look at the pen. He adjusted the pen and returned it within days on his dime. He explained that the piston had been inserted incorrectly. That pen is a dream. I think I paid $35 for it. It's on my desk at all times. I pay my bills with that pen.

Same goes for Karas Kustom. Their customer service is outstanding. Twice I had some really weird problems. One was their issue and the second time, it was my fault. I reached out to them and they offered to inspect the pens. They replaced everything at no charge to me. They couldn't be nicer.

Fountain Pen Revolution is another great fountain pen seller who really cares about his customers. He prides himself on inexpensive pens and taking care of his customers. The most I've ever paid is probably $20 but he, too, replaced a pen that just didn't perform; did everything he could to make sure I was satisfied with my purchase.

On the other hand, I purchased one of the Italix Parsons Essentials. It just didn't write. It was absolutely gorgeous to look at, but a pen that doesn't write is no good to me. I reached out to Mr. Pen who took my complaint as a personal insult. He would not accept that the pen was defective. I ended up shipping it back to England and lost money on the whole episode. I'll also never buy another product from them.
    Last edited by ambimom; April 15th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambimom For This Useful Post:

Azure Niblist (April 16th, 2018), hansdown (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Fair enough. Your one example and my one example do not exactly make strong statistics. I will stand by my statement as a generalisation. And look to today just how many steel nibs are now in production. Obviously ink formualtion has changed and it isn't as harsh as it once was. It'll be interesting to examine all those Jowo steel nibs in 50 years, eh?
    Quite so. I wasn't arguing with your original post, merely adding something that perhaps you hadn't considered. My example, however, is one among many. While it is true that old steel nib and plated nib pens tend not to survive as well as gold nib ones, quite a few have come my way over the last twenty years. The pitting is common. Most modern steel nibs seem quite different. Perhaps the steel used today is better. I have some modern steel nib pens that I've had for 10 or more years and they show no sign of deterioration in that period. Unfortunately I doubt if I'll be around in 50 years to check my Jowo nibs.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

For everyday carry (aside from a Swiss knife, phone and simple light) a ballpoint pen is my tool of choice. Although my fountain pens are cheap, I'd rather lose a disposable ballpoint. I'd rather lend a disposable ballpoint to someone who doesn't have the forethought to carry their own pen, and I'd rather have my coat sat on by some unthinking person while there's a ballpoint in the pocket than a fountain pen.

In certain situations I will carry a nicer pen, but am still not yet of the mind set to make that nicer pen a fountain pen. Just because I have rediscovered fountain pens, doesn't mean that I have abandoned the other pen types, or forgotten why I carried a ballpoint for so many years.

I think "enthusiasts" adopt a certain mindset of what should be owned and carried, and what calibre of purchase that should be. This applies to the EDC communities as well as the pen world, or forums for any other topic. There's a lot of snobbery and a lot of reverse snobbery. One group will claim that anything below a minimal spend or not of an accepted brand is worthless, while another claims those purchases are overhyped and overpriced, and champions the off-brand cheapos. The better fourms out there are the ones populated by people who accept both ends of the spectrum without prejudice. Those forums are the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

Thanks

@Deb, indeed, and there are many examples of vintage steel nibs that are not corroded. Perhaps that represents an insight into how inks have changed AND perhaps that not everyone adopted the new inks. It is possible that the corroded survivors came from owners who never changed over from iron gall to something less harsh. That's just a guess of course, but plausible nonetheless.

Good point about modern steel versus vintage steel. As I said, it will be interesting to see how modern steel lasts, though I would hazard a guess that it will last very well as modern inks are not at all harsh. If there is a metallurgist on here with an interest in this it would be good to have their opinion.

Thanks

Of course there are examples which are corroded and some which aren‘t.
    Manufacturers had their own steel types within one country and for sure comparing different countries.
    And I think to assume that all had the same steel quality and steel alloy nobody really can think.
    There are thousands of common different steel alloys all with different properties.
    Only because we call all of them just „steel“ does not mean they are of the same kind.

In the late 30s Pelikan started to produce CN nibs.
    I think started in 1938 as it was not allowed to use the war relevant metal gold for nibs anymore.
    And this Chrome Nickel Steel alloy nibs were pretty good.
    They had some flex like the gold ones and there are plenty of them still today in perfect condition without any corrosion.

So the German CN type steel used from Pelikan was for sure a really good one and I would not treat it as prone to corrosion.
    So in the 30s it was already possible to produce steel nibs without corrosion problems.

I own a Degussa full flex steel nib which I can´t date exactly.
    It is an awesome flex nib not worse than top notch full flex gold nibs.
    My assumption is that it is made between the 30s and maybe latest the early 50s.
    Also this nib show not the slightest sign of corrosion, just look like new.

And to be honest, I don’t expect that you can/will face any problem with a steel nib regarding corrosion looking at steel nibs produced in the last 4-5 decades from any major manufacturer.
    No matter which ink you are using, including modern IG FP inks.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; April 15th, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

amk (April 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I have a TWSBI 580 with a stub nib; it is reliable, and nice to use.

But for both aesthetic and writing joy, I'll stay with my old (gold-nibbed) Swans, Onotos and Waterman's pens every time (especially the Swans) thank you.

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 15th, 2018), Deb (April 15th, 2018), Hawk (April 26th, 2018), Jon Szanto (April 15th, 2018), oldstoat (April 16th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

The Waterman Phileas are notable for their nibs being prone to pitting and corrosion, and these are steel nibs from the (roughly) the 70s through the 90s. To imply that there is nothing more to be concerned about a steel nib beyond the wartime (2nd?) years is... not fully correct.

Are gold nibs better than steel? Not necessarily and not in all ways, but that doesn't mean that there are aspects of using that metal for a nib that are advantageous beyond the aesthetic factor.

BTW, I have never heard anyone propose either Myth #2 or #5. A couple of the others are a bit weak. And, frankly, in the modern world of communication, I would propose that there are at least as many myths going in the other direction - that here is the Perfect solution for a n00b! - that aren't mentioned.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 15th, 2018), AzJon (April 15th, 2018), Chrissy (April 15th, 2018), Cob (April 15th, 2018), Deb (April 15th, 2018), gbryal (April 15th, 2018), Pterodactylus (April 15th, 2018), vaselinepen (April 16th, 2018), VertOlive (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Firstly, I am not suggesting it is a black and white situation regarding nibs. I am suggesting that there is a preponderance of opinions in favour of gold nibs that are unsupported by facts, and are likely to mislead new users. Bearing in mind that buying a gold Jowo is considerably more expensive than the steel version (by way of example) and confers no benefit to utility.

Myth #2 has been seen here, there and elsewhere on a fairly cyclical basis.
    Myth #5 is not overt but rather the implication that arises from the discussion of pens on this kind of forum. It is endemic.

I am not proposing any Perfect solution. I am only encouraging discussion that may be of benefit to new users. As with any discussion it has to start somewhere, and I fully accept and totally understand that what is being discussed is generalised.