Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fess up: How many BALLPOINT pens do you own?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Default Re: Fess up: How many BALLPOINT pens do you own?

None. I have some gel pens but not a single ballpoint. They got cleared out years ago.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I do not have any ballpoints in the house. I found one gel pen in a drawer. I do keep sharpies around for marking on silver which is a necessity for me. I keep a fountain pen in my pocket at all times and one in my purse. If anyone needs a pen I hand them one of my pocket fountain pens.

Thanks

I cleaned out my desk drawer yesterday and took about 15 various ballpoint and rollerball pens to my classroom. I still have several dozen give-away type ballpoints squirreled away around the house.

Thanks

Three that I know of. One of them is my mother's old Papermate; she died 24 years ago. Another one has a G2 refill in it, so does that even count? I wasn't a big user of non-gel ballpoints. Before I got back into FPs, I used the finest-point nylon-tipped pens for most of my writing.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

We have many mutt ballpoints lurking around the house. There is one on the appointment calendar; it is handy there; it doesn't dry up after long periods of neglect.

I have three others that I use when a ballpoint is called for. One is from Levenger. It was designed to resemble Newton's walking cane. It has a black rollerball refill in it. One was made by Waterman. It came as a set with a Phileas fountain pen. It has a blue Waterman ballpoint refill in it. Another is a Parker sterling silver (Ciselle?) pen I inherited from my mother. It has a blue T-ball Jotter refill in it.

Fountain pen ink and dip pen inks just don't stick to some surfaces. A ballpoint is a must for those situations.
    Last edited by Paddler; April 19th, 2018 at 06:47 AM.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Well, now I've done an actual count, and it was more than I would have thought. I keep them in a limited number of places, not just all over, so it wasn't hard to count, although it took a moment to remember the Fisher Space Pen that always stays in my car (along with a mechanical pencil).

It comes to fifty ballpoints and twenty-five gel pens, although there's a bit of overlap. There are gel refills for Parker Jotters, and some of mine have them, but I'm counting them as ballpoints anyway.

And then there are quite a few wood and mechanical pencils, some Sharpies, a felt tip or two, and even a couple of brush pens, but I'm not going to bother with a count of those.

It does seem like a bit of a waste, having so many. Not that I don't occasionally use them, but I don't enjoy the extras as a collection quite as much as I enjoy my extra fountain pens. I guess I'll give some more away.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

No ballpoints, a couple of nice rollerballs.

I do keep some Pilot V7s around, for other people to use.

Thanks

I have a bunch of Cross and Parker ballpoints that I was given as a youngster for various special occasions. I'm sure they're all in a drawer somewhere.

On the rare occasion that I don't/can't use a fountain pen, I use rollerballs. I've got a nice Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue roller that I keep around for such occasions. I also have a desk drawer full of Pilot V5's in various colors - the only disposable pen I enjoy using.

There is one exception though: the 4-color Bic pen. I never go to court without one; I've got one in every briefcase/bag. Having four different colors to segregate/categorize your writing is immeasurably handy for what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    ...the 4-color Bic pen. I never go to court without one; I've got one in every briefcase/bag. Having four different colors to segregate/categorize your writing is immeasurably handy for what I do.
    Black, blue, red and ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

My husband insists that one lives with its paper pad on the mantel in the bedroom. We get calls in the middle of the night and have to take down information quickly and accurately and he absolutely will not "fiddle" with a fountain pen when he's half awake.

So, one.

This act is not listed in my Big Book of Catholic Stuff as a sin, either venial or mortal. So this is not technically a confession, just a straight up ballpoint count.
    Last edited by VertOlive; April 19th, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    ...the 4-color Bic pen. I never go to court without one; I've got one in every briefcase/bag. Having four different colors to segregate/categorize your writing is immeasurably handy for what I do.
    Black, blue, red and ?
    Green. Green is usually cross-examination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

One of my sources recently dropped off about 150 Jotters. Does that count?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (April 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    One of my sources recently dropped off about 150 Jotters. Does that count?
    If you now own them, I'd say it counts, until you dispose of them.

I'd say it also counts when people own ballpoints that are "just for other people to use".
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

I'm sure there are countless ballpoints in the house, but my proximity to them isn't really an indication of my ownership. At my desk though, I have a two Skilcraft ballpoints. I use them for addressing envelopes. I also have a parker IM rollerball that is sort of annoying but I bought it for the same purpose as the ballpoints; for writing on anything unfriendly to the fountain pens.

Thanks

I'm committed to the ballpoint...arguably the rollerball...so long as I keep ordering duplicate checks.

Thanks

I've got loads, I'd rather not count, I think it would be embarrassing lol. I still occasionally love to draw with them, they feel so different to fountain pen or technical pen, although take longer to draw with. My fav is the multi colour pen although it annoyingly doesn't have brown (for hair colours). I use them at work too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (April 28th, 2018), Kaputnik (April 20th, 2018), usk15 (April 20th, 2018)

Thanks

I have a few that I use for work. Never use them other than for that. I have lots of paperwork to check and sign and I haven"t found a fountain pen that can keep up to speed. I need a pen that writes fast and has quick drying ink.

Before I get a plethora of " have you tried a fine point with ________________ ink? " yes, I have. Still haven't found anything that will keep up to speed. Ballpoint/Rollerball fits the bill so that is what I use.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post
    I have a few that I use for work. Never use them other than for that. I have lots of paperwork to check and sign and I haven"t found a fountain pen that can keep up to speed. I need a pen that writes fast and has quick drying ink.

Before I get a plethora of " have you tried a fine point with ________________ ink? " yes, I have. Still haven't found anything that will keep up to speed. Ballpoint/Rollerball fits the bill so that is what I use.

David
    Hi David,
    Just because you don't want a plethora of contrary replies doesn't mean you won't get them. What I have to do is pretty demanding in terms of speed and I have no problems using a fine point and a variety of inks. Ballpoints? Don't waste my time!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Double post...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    ...Ballpoints? Don't waste my time!

Wellllll, that's entirely depending what you need an writing instrument for:

Try to write on banana skin (for snack) when send you child at school, try to write on a plastic bag when you banking money, or try to write on a cardboard box when move stuff around. Also try to mark a piece of wood or metal when cut or drill them. I know there are so many writing instruments out there to full fill all the needs, from pencils, markers, fountain pen to brushes and even note-pads on your electronic devices! Imagination is the limit!

I own over 100 Fp, over 30 ballpoint and gel pens, some pencils and Sharpies too. I'm working in Catering Industry since mid 90's and nothing can beat a good "clicky" ballpoint with a good refill!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 24th, 2018)