Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on With FPN?

Thanks

Default Re: What's Going on With FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    The best place to play pens may be at a show... but in France, we have ONE all year. And for me, it always clashes with another event, which is one of the you-don't-have-to-but-you'll-be-marked-down-on-your-finals-if-you-don't variety. :-(
    Only one a year near me too, but cost of travel to get there plus entry fee is more than I'd spend when I got there. Forums make more sense for us cheapskates bear in mind that my most expensive pen was £11, and probably not worth the money I'd rather stop at home with a cuppa, than travel to somewhere to look at stuff that I'd never buy....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Plus FPG has Tapatalk compatibility. A big plus. One only has to deal with an occasional and interspersed Tapatalk ad which can be removed by going pro for like $5/year. I like to surf on the subway, between meetings, etc and having a mobile compatible forum on a quickly accessible platform makes that easy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    You almost make me curious enough to visit there with my ad blocker turned off. Not quite, though.
    Their ads have been recently acting a lot worse, as Farmboy tried to point out.
    I really wouldn't visit that site without an ad-blocker.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I am having trouble registering as well. Sent their admins an email like a week ago, haven't heard back yet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dante231 View Post
    Plus FPG has Tapatalk compatibility. A big plus. One only has to deal with an occasional and interspersed Tapatalk ad which can be removed by going pro for like $5/year. I like to surf on the subway, between meetings, etc and having a mobile compatible forum on a quickly accessible platform makes that easy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Tapatalk talk compatibility was the reason for my choice of forum too, but after reading this thread it seems like I dodged a bullet 🤣

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Some aggressive people on FPN, some of these people post on here also, they seem to take the view that their opinion is the only one that counts and everyone else is wrong.

Also the quality and scope of knowledge is really piss poor with some people who are obsessive about their postcount and their activities on the forum, really something seriously wrong with anyone who has 10,000 plus posts and who are on the forum first thing in the morning, like 6:00, throughout the day and last thing at night.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bzzer For This Useful Post:

Fermata (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post
    Some aggressive people on FPN, some of these people post on here also, they seem to take the view that their opinion is the only one that counts and everyone else is wrong.

Also the quality and scope of knowledge is really piss poor with some people who are obsessive about their postcount and their activities on the forum, really something seriously wrong with anyone who has 10,000 plus posts and who are on the forum first thing in the morning, like 6:00, throughout the day and last thing at night.
    I can see that someone has upset you. Tell me, who was this aggressive person who also posts here?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post

I can see that someone has upset you. Tell me, who was this aggressive person who also posts here?
    I was thinking that also, I can think of a handful of possible candidates like that on FPN, not so much here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

I was thinking that also, I can think of a handful of possible candidates like that on FPN, not so much here.
    I think I could make a good guess. Their inability to tolerate others’ points of view is really quite wearisome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    [I think I could make a good guess. Their inability to tolerate others’ points of view is really quite wearisome.
    I don't seem to have met this person. Unless it's me, of course. But then I'm not in FPN so it can't be me. Whew! That's a relief!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    [I think I could make a good guess. Their inability to tolerate others’ points of view is really quite wearisome.
    I don't seem to have met this person. Unless it's me, of course. But then I'm not in FPN so it can't be me. Whew! That's a relief!
    Definitely not you Deb

And well, life’s too short to waste time on irritants. I just make good use of the Block facility.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Bzzer (April 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Thankfully, I've not had that experience here. Yes, there are opinionated people here, but whenever I have expressed a contrasting opinion, I have been afforded the space to do so, without being admonished or patronised. From what I've seen, pretty much everyone here has their own passion and bias, but still gives space to others to discover and follow their own preferences.

I break all the "rules" of fountain pen geekiness. I like cheap stuff, feel no need to conform or aspire to greatness. I have no grail to seek, no desire to collect, and speak up when what I want is different to what is suggested to me. Yet I have been made very welcome here, and not be made to feel like I am an underclass, or am letting the side down by not wanting the same as others. That is rare for an internet forum.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 28th, 2018), Marsilius (April 27th, 2018), Morgaine (April 28th, 2018), myu (May 12th, 2018), NibsForScript (May 6th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 26th, 2018), top pen (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    You almost make me curious enough to visit there with my ad blocker turned off. Not quite, though.
    Their ads have been recently acting a lot worse, as Farmboy tried to point out.
    I really wouldn't visit that site without an ad-blocker.
    I've recently started using FPN in a Private Window due to their ads making it really difficult to use their site, but no ad-blocker yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    Thankfully, I've not had that experience here. Yes, there are opinionated people here, but whenever I have expressed a contrasting opinion, I have been afforded the space to do so, without being admonished or patronised. From what I've seen, pretty much everyone here has their own passion and bias, but still gives space to others to discover and follow their own preferences.

I break all the "rules" of fountain pen geekiness. I like cheap stuff, feel no need to conform or aspire to greatness. I have no grail to seek, no desire to collect, and speak up when what I want is different to what is suggested to me. Yet I have been made very welcome here, and not be made to feel like I am an underclass, or am letting the side down by not wanting the same as others. That is rare for an internet forum.
    I figure life is too short to try to make everyone hobby in one set way. As long as you are having fun, cool. It is nice to see diverse ways folks have for finding enjoyment.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 28th, 2018), Wuddus (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Well said.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks

Well that's the idea, right?
    This hobby should be a relaxing one and many choices are made on a whim, fancy, and of course interest.

Being human, of course we'll get 100 opinions when one is asked for
    So pick the one that resonates with you and discard the rest.
    - Will

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 26th, 2018), Chrissy (April 26th, 2018), Marsilius (April 27th, 2018), NibsForScript (May 6th, 2018), suzy01 (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks

FPN advertising is not that bad. I duck out if they are allowing the audio ads or those animated ads that yank the screen around. In a day or two -- some random interval -- they have quiet advertisements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    FPN advertising is not that bad. I duck out if they are allowing the audio ads or those animated ads that yank the screen around. In a day or two -- some random interval -- they have quiet advertisements.
    They tend to be quieter during weekdays when the ad agencies are operating and on the lookout for malware. At the weekend it's a different story.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

welch (April 28th, 2018)

Thanks

They do allow audio ads because if I have that site without an ad blocker, randomly some ads will start playing audio. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who don't this at all.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    They do allow audio ads because if I have that site without an ad blocker, randomly some ads will start playing audio. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who don't this at all.
    I hate it. The ads with audio can be quiet for a minute, then bark. Awful.