Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your fountain pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: How often do you clean your fountain pens?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Whenever there's room in the dishwasher.
    Just a guess; Scotch cycle on the KitchenAid?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

calamum (April 26th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

OK. I fill a pen then write it dry. I dismantle it, flush it, soak it. Then I run it through the ultrasonic cleaner (on a pad so it doesn't touch the basket), remove it, and buff it as it dries.

All the years in a lab may have warped me...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

calamum (April 22nd, 2018), Dreck (April 25th, 2018), JulieParadise (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    OK. I fill a pen then write it dry. I dismantle it, flush it, soak it. Then I run it through the ultrasonic cleaner (on a pad so it doesn't touch the basket), remove it, and buff it as it dries.

All the years in a lab may have warped me...
    I've wanted an ultrasonic cleaner since my silversmithing days. Hmmm. Just checked online, they seem to have come down in price, at least the low end ones. Some of them under $50 have good reviews on Amazon. Hmmm.
    How and why do you buff your pens? That's the part that puzzles me. Oh, wait, you're pulling my leg, right?
    Last edited by calamum; April 23rd, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Whenever there's room in the dishwasher.
    Ha!! ("a laugh in the morning...")

7. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Primarily when changing color or taking out of rotation. I have two awaiting flushing right now. My 51 Demi Vacumatic has never been flushed since I got it in January. Always Diamine Blue Black. My Pelikan 140 only a couple of times. It has been filled with Pelikan 4001 Blue Black almost exclusively since I got it in August. I have tried one or two other inks in it for a full or two each. Most others get regular ink changes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

calamum (April 26th, 2018), JulieParadise (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamum View Post
    How and why do you buff your pens? That's the part that puzzles me. Oh, wait, you're pulling my leg, right?
    Not kidding. I buff them dry with a lint free cloth to prevent spots, just like you would your car.

A good ultrasonic should produce a wave on the surface of the water in the cleaning compartment. Mine is laboratory grade and does a very good job for about $150.00, just FYI.
    Last edited by VertOlive; April 23rd, 2018 at 08:40 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 21st, 2019), calamum (April 24th, 2018), JulieParadise (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Not kidding. I buff them dry with a lint free cloth to prevent spots, just like you would your car.

A good ultrasonic should produce a wave on the surface of the water in the cleaning compartment. Mine is laboratory grade and does a very good job for about $150.00, just FYI.
    I think mine cost a little more than a tenth of that! For that money I would expect an ultrasonic to do the dishes and mop the floor.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 5th, 2018), Wuddus (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks! What kind do you have, and where can I get one if I win the lottery?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

A good ultrasonic should produce a wave on the surface of the water in the cleaning compartment....
    Uh oh.

Thanks

I clean mine when I change ink (often), when I take them out of rotation, and when I first buy them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

FWIW, I don't think you actually need a "good" ultrasonic to facilitate the removal of ink from a pen. I've got a reasonably powerful ultrasonic and a relatively weak one. The weak one is the only one I ever use on fountain pens. I'm not saying that a "good" one doesn't have its uses in the FP world, but principally in restoration (where ink is desiccated, caked on, and clogging crevices and fins). You just don't need much power in normal cleaning. All you need is a liquid with low surface tension and slight agitation from a mediocre or weak ultrasonic to coax it into places that it wouldn't otherwise get into. For me, that liquid is water and a few drops of Kodak Photo-Flo. As soon as the liquid reaches the places where the ink is hiding, receded from the main paths of flow, they dilute and disappear PDQ, in just a few minutes. What I would avoid are models that will physically break down in a short period of time. E.g., don't buy one with the controls in/on the lid. Having wires threaded up into the lid from the body of the cleaner is just a bad idea.
    --
    Mike

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 21st, 2019), calamum (April 26th, 2018), VertOlive (May 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Wait, what? You are supposed to clean them?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    FWIW, I don't think you actually need a "good" ultrasonic to facilitate the removal of ink from a pen.
    I agree completely. Mine is a cheap Chinese eBay special that is loud and annoying, but has done a good job cleaning circuit boards I have made, watches I have serviced, and now a few seriously gunked up pens.

My old 51 had clearly sat for ages as had the Sheaffer and my Aldo Domani. All had dried crusty ink all over the nib. Maybe the ultrasonic wasn't necessary but it made light work of all three.

Thanks

I've not got an ultrasonic cleaner. I reckon that if our forefathers went without, I don't need one either.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I also would be careful using especially more powerful ultrasonic cleaners.
    You might damage your pen with it (e.g. platings which might come of, damaged sealings, removed lubricants (especially in the piston mechanism), weakened or destroyed glue connections (if there are any), .....)

I would not use one if not really necessary.

Excessive and often cleaning might imho harm your pen more than not cleaning it.
    For sure every cleaning with solvents and for sure every disassemble will stress the material and shorten the lifespan.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 4th, 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I've mentioned it before, I have managed to strip plating/coatings of some nibs. I managed to totally remove the blue color coating on one of my Platinum Preppy pens with a 15-minute bath in the ultrasonic but it already had a small scratch in the coloring. Im not sure if it is just paint or a plating. More expensive pens just get 30 second dips in the cleaner or do not go through it at all.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Maybe the ultrasonic wasn't necessary but it made light work of all three.
    There are definitely things to consider. I'm pretty sure I've articulated them all at some point, though not all of them here. Bottom line for me is that people arguing they don't need one are correct, but there are pros and cons of every possibility. There are lots of things that nobody "needs" but which nevertheless make life better. For somebody who changes inks or likes to rotate pens in and out of use and store them in a clean state, life is better with the ultrasonic.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I’ve been wanting an ultrasonic for a long time now, but this thread has me really wanting to try one out. I just don’t know what price range to look at considering the different opinions stated here! 😂

Oh, and I usually clean my pens every time I change inks, take a pen out of rotation, and every other fill for pens that I keep dedicated to a certain ink (my Lamy Safaris). For the most part I change inks with every fill, so I usually clean every time that I ink a pen. I use a lot of saturated and higher maintenance inks so it just makes sense to clean my pens religiously. I don’t usually disassemble a pen often, just flush with water or ammonia and water depending on the saturation and properties of the ink.
    Last edited by Gobblecup; May 4th, 2018 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    I’ve been wanting an ultrasonic for a long time now, but this thread has me really wanting to try one out. I just don’t know what price range to look at considering the different opinions stated here! 😂
    FWIW, I bought this one in 2013, and it is still doing just fine. It's not very powerful, but I find that it works just fine for what I need it to do, which is to make short work of my pen cleaning tasks. Note, I do not disassemble my pens. I fill them with water (+Photo Flo, but that's optional), poke a hole in a piece of cardboard of the right size to hold the pen, and adjust things so that the water level is high enough to reach the section and the nib is not touching anything. Then I run it for the default 180 seconds.
    --
    Mike

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    FWIW, I bought this one in 2013, and it is still doing just fine. It's not very powerful, but I find that it works just fine for what I need it to do, which is to make short work of my pen cleaning tasks. Note, I do not disassemble my pens. I fill them with water (+Photo Flo, but that's optional), poke a hole in a piece of cardboard of the right size to hold the pen, and adjust things so that the water level is high enough to reach the section and the nib is not touching anything. Then I run it for the default 180 seconds.
    Thanks for the breakdown of your process. I’m curious if you think it would damage a pen in any way to submerge the entire section or barrel of a piston filler in the ultrasonic? Would the materials of the pen make a difference here? I’ve never tried this before so I have a lot of questions! Also, the price sounds right on the cleaner you linked!