Thread: What is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 with pink nib

Thanks

Default What is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 with pink nib

Hi.. i just wanted to ask that what is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 red ripple with pink nib in acceptable condition with bit brassing of clip.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jaws; April 21st, 2018 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: What is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 with pink nib

Difficult question, for many a 7 with pink nib is next to the holy grail.

So the usually asked prices are for me personally ridiculous when you compare the price of other top notch flex nibs with the prices asked for a 7-pink.

But this does not change the fact that these prices are asked and also payed.
    This only means that I will most likely never will own one.

So the conclusion for me is that 7-pink‘s are mainly interesting for collectors not users.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Jaws (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: What is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 with pink nib

A quick search shows prices from $80 to $900. So, there is a range to consider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    Ok great, show me the offer (and don´t tell anybody else ), for 80, come on let’s say up to 200 I would buy one in reasonable working condition without any doubt.

Thanks

I didn't see any pink nib ideal 7 even at 900..i know 52 and others are cheaper but even red nib goes for quite alot i.e from 500 on wards. I just wanted to know range of these pink nibbed pens nows a days. Thanks

Thanks

Pens in perfect conditions were already sold far beyond 1000$ ( ridiculous I know..... but this hype is imo driven by the collectors, no user can reasonable argue such prices)

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterman-7-...AAAOSwBzVa0l-s
    Sold 2 days ago for $765

All I did was look at completed ebay listings for Waterman Ideal Red Ripple Fountain Pen and Pink Nib and this was one that came up.

Thanks

The 7-pinks‘s are only one example of ridiculous prices, there are also others, e.g. look at the prices of Montblanc 13x pens (or earlier ones than 13x) it‘s the same there.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (April 21st, 2018), Jaws (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Sold 2 days ago for $765

All I did was look at completed ebay listings for Waterman Ideal Red Ripple Fountain Pen and Pink Nib and this was one that came up.
    Yeah i was following this one as well the nib on this one looked burnt by flame or something, i don't about how to repair a nib but it gave me impression that it was kind of all screwed up before being repaired
    Last edited by Jaws; April 21st, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    The 7-pinks‘s are only one example of ridiculous prices, there are also others, e.g. look at the prices of Montblanc 13x pens (or earlier ones than 13x) it‘s the same there.
    now a days tibaldi impero and omas arco bronze n verde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Sold 2 days ago for $765

Yeah i was following this one as well the nib on this one looked burnt by flame or something, i don't about how to repair a nib but it gave me impression that it was kind of all screwed up before being repaired
    Yep the nib also looked strange to me, without a better picture it is hard to tell if it is damaged and if yes how badly.
    The nib slit also looks very wide.

For sure not a perfect condition.
    Sold as found, means for me not in writing condition, needs restauration.

765$ for a pen in questionable condition is not bad.
    If the nib is ok (and this is the crucial point) this still could be a bargain for a collector (everything else is most likely not a catastrophic issue) even considering Restauration costs.
    Still a gamble because of the nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Hi.. i just wanted to ask that what is the appropriate price for buying a waterman ideal 7 red ripple with pink nib in acceptable condition with bit brassing of clip.
    Thanks
    The appropriate price is a couple hundreds of dollars.
    But a more important (and to me useful) question to answer is what is the best way to get one.

If you are in the US, there are 14 pen shows in the year. Go to the one nearest to you and you will probably get to handle one to see if you really like it enough to spend the money on it.

If you still want the pen at that point, shop around, there will be multiple people who either sell one or can get you one within the price that you're comfortable paying.

To me this is the best way to get your hand at a very coveted pen without taking chances on ebay.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jaws (April 21st, 2018), Jon Szanto (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Thanks
    The appropriate price is a couple hundreds of dollars.
    But a more important (and to me useful) question to answer is what is the best way to get one.

If you are in the US, there are 14 pen shows in the year. Go to the one nearest to you and you will probably get to handle one to see if you really like it enough to spend the money on it.

If you still want the pen at that point, shop around, there will be multiple people who either sell one or can get you one within the price that you're comfortable paying.

To me this is the best way to get your hand at a very coveted pen without taking chances on ebay.
    Yeah that's the privilege if you live in US. I just visit US once or twice a year to visit my parents in Houston (limited days of vacation), no shows near that area that i know of. I think I'll have to take a gamble 🤤. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Sold 2 days ago for $765

Yep the nib also looked strange to me, without a better picture it is hard to tell if it is damaged and if yes how badly.
    The nib slit also looks very wide.

For sure not a perfect condition.
    Sold as found, means for me not in writing condition, needs restauration.

765$ for a pen in questionable condition is not bad.
    If the nib is ok (and this is the crucial point) this still could be a bargain for a collector (everything else is most likely not a catastrophic issue) even considering Restauration costs.
    Still a gamble because of the nib.
    Well i took a plunge. Online auction. Will get it shipped to my parents house in Houston. It will take some time to get into my hands. So kind of a gamble as nothing was mentioned regarding its working state.

Last edited by Jaws; April 21st, 2018 at 06:18 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (April 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Make sure your parents know to accept the package when it arrives! Seems like I've read something on here about a situation like that and ....

Congrats on a beautiful pen.

Thanks

Make sure your parents know to accept the package when it arrives! Seems like I've read something on here about a situation like that and ....

Congrats on a beautiful pen.
    Thanks.. yeah i actually got refund from seller after that feud became apparent.
    I usually get shipments from states to my parents house.I told my brother to followup this waterman pen and as it has to be picked up from auction house so he contacted shipping companies there for pick up..Hopefully things will go smoothly. Keeping fingers crossed though