Thread: Need a darker Kon Peki for a medium nib... advice?

Thanks

Default Need a darker Kon Peki for a medium nib... advice?

Thanks in advance,

I use Kon Peki in my Visconti HS Bronze Fine nib everyday, but also keep my Visconti HS medium nib inked up. The Kon Peki is much too light when it's in the medium nib, and I've ended up keeping the medium filled with either DC Supershow Blue or Asa-Gao. But these are very different from the Kon Peki, and I just want another Kon Peki. All the comparisons I've seen show Diamine Asa Blue or Edelstein Topaz, but neither seem are brilliant or as saturated as the KP in the Fine nib.

Any suggestions for the medium nib Visconti?

Thanks

Default Re: Need a darker Kon Peki for a medium nib... advice?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLondon View Post
    Thanks in advance,

I use Kon Peki in my Visconti HS Bronze Fine nib everyday, but also keep my Visconti HS medium nib inked up. The Kon Peki is much too light when it's in the medium nib, and I've ended up keeping the medium filled with either DC Supershow Blue or Asa-Gao. But these are very different from the Kon Peki, and I just want another Kon Peki. All the comparisons I've seen show Diamine Asa Blue or Edelstein Topaz, but neither seem are brilliant or as saturated as the KP in the Fine nib.

Any suggestions for the medium nib Visconti?
    If you like and have several Pilot inks, try mixing them. I have done this several times with a lot of luck. I mix the ink in a sample vile and use the mL marker as an indicator. Try adding a little black to your Kon Peki (is a blue/black ok? Do you have black?). It’s cheaper than buying a new bottle and you have control of the color. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 434 Posts

You might want to try a new ink called Colorverse Crystal Planet. It was the subject of Mystery Ink #16 that we tried and was "almost" indistinguihable from Kon Peki. It is a lot wetter and does have high shading and some red sheen characteristics. Try to buy a sample of it to try.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...y-Ink-16/page4

All the Best.

Thanks

Sailor's Sky High is much like Kon Peki (only better imo) and Sailor used to have a darker "Sky High" called "Summer Sky".

Sadly long gone. But that might have been perfect. Not helpful I know but just so you know such a thing did exist.

Thanks

That colorverse is a bit too shady for everyday use (for me.)..... hmmmm

Thanks

You could put some Kon Peki in a vial and leave the lid off and let it evaporate some which would give you the color you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...n-vs-kon-peki/

Sailor Souten or Sky High look to be pretty close, but a touch darker than PI KP.

Thanks

I've tried the Souten, and it's still too light. All the ink swatches of Kon-Peki-eque blues look similar, and if I've tried them, they're also light. Finding a similar ink for this Visconti medium nib is almost impossible. I've actually given up the search and filled it with Majestic Blue. The MB is a great ink, but it's a very different blue than the KP.

Thanks

Have you considered Visconti Blue?

Thanks

Perhaps a Diamine Kensington Blue or Florida Blue would be options.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Along that line (Florida Blue), I prefer Diamine Mediterranean Blue, as it seems (I think!) to be slightly more saturated but virtually the same color. Another possibility is Pelikan Edelstein Topaz.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Just a thought...if it's dark enough in the fine but not in the medium, the fine nib may be writing wetter than the medium. You might want to try increasing the flow in the medium or sending it to a nibber for adjustment if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Along that line (Florida Blue), I prefer Diamine Mediterranean Blue, as it seems (I think!) to be slightly more saturated but virtually the same color. Another possibility is Pelikan Edelstein Topaz.
    I use Kon-peki and Topaz a lot (albeit in very different pens). I think OP would find Topaz much too light. In my use, Topaz is most similar to Ama-iro, which itself is much lighter than Kon-peki.

OP, maybe add a slightly darker ink to your Kon-peki, as suggested? I have a gut feeling that a little Tsuyu-kusa would darken it up without changing it's essential character, like a more purple ink would (but that's just my gut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I use Kon-peki and Topaz a lot (albeit in very different pens). I think OP would find Topaz much too light. In my use, Topaz is most similar to Ama-iro, which itself is much lighter than Kon-peki.

OP, maybe add a slightly darker ink to your Kon-peki, as suggested? I have a gut feeling that a little Tsuyu-kusa would darken it up without changing it's essential character, like a more purple ink would (but that's just my gut).
    Good point. I don't know what's up with Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. If you look at scans on the web, you can see it compare both ways to Kon Peki, both lighter and if not darker, at least no less dark. My bottle is fairly dark, though I will admit that my pens are rather wet, and I typically write on coated paper.

I am not sure Tsuyu-Kusa is a good mixing ink. I vaguely remember failures with it. Definitely follow safe mixing procedures--don't assume it will work, even when mixing it with another Iroshizuku ink.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Just a thought...if it's dark enough in the fine but not in the medium, the fine nib may be writing wetter than the medium. You might want to try increasing the flow in the medium or sending it to a nibber for adjustment if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
    This is actually a good point, one that I missed when reading the post. The ink really ought not look darker in a fine than a medium, unless by "lighter" it is meant that the shading is more apparent therefore having "darker" and "lighter" bits of letters.