Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vintage Pens in May

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Pens in May

Lovely pens!

Vintage May has been great. I didn't buy any pens but shaped up a couple of troublemakers.

My Sheaffer Skripsert was a $15 antique store find that came in its original box last year—one of my first pens. It is too narrow for converters and wrote way too wet with Skrip Black cartridges. After many attempts I have it operating properly.

This Parker 21 was a budget ebay find but was a gusher and dripper. A new fill tube helped but the final fix was reseating the nib and feed. After installing a NOS hood it is looking and writing nicely.

I also had a chance to use my Wahl Ringtop, Parker Lucky Curve, and Black-Tipped Jade pens this month. These three date to the 1920s.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 30th, 2019), gbryal (May 29th, 2019), Voiren (May 31st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Switching to all modern June 1st?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I can't do that to these pens that are all inked and ready to go, tip them back into the ink bottle. It'd be heartbreaking. But I will bring a few newer favorites back into circulation.

Maybe someday there will be a Jinhao January, or Edison Tuesdays. I'll leave that up to someone else. I've been surprised at how easy it's been to just make up a holiday.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 29th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FreeLance View Post
    Sorry for my being late but I would like to show you some of my vintage pens that I have and used in May. Thanks.
    No need to apologise. It is still May and we love to see vintage!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

FreeLance (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    That means I'll have to stick to only one pen!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 29th, 2019)

Thanks

My trusty Pelikan 100N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butthurticus-VIII For This Useful Post:

amk (May 31st, 2019), azkid (May 30th, 2019), gbryal (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Pelikan 100 needs a special shout-out. It's such a reliable pen. They're 80 or 90 years old and still working beautifully. Found two in the wild that have needed almost no tweaking to get them working properly again.

So it's not surprising to see them figure prominently on this thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

This is my last day contribution to the 2019 Vintage May:

A beautiful, antique Mabie Todd eye-dropper with a killer flex nib, which is now en-route to one of my East Coast buyers.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 31st, 2019), gbryal (May 31st, 2019), jacksterp (June 6th, 2019), silverlifter (May 31st, 2019), Voiren (May 31st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Here's my final one - I'd intended to take less washed-out photos, but am out of time!

This one is less vintage - a Kaweco Sport V16 from 1970 with gold OB nib. It is the adorablest little piston filler. I have shown it next to a current Skyline Sport (part fox, part macchiato).

IMG_20190520_132949-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190520_133201-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190520_132845-01.jpg

Diamine honey burst gives this one a really useful colour contrast for my notes.

I was also intending to rotate through a few more pens, but I kept refilling the Vac and Conway Stewart 759! I was really enjoying using both - the Vac is fine enough to be no trouble anywhere, the Conway Stewart is a little more idiosyncratic but the softness of the nib is lovely. Maybe in another month when my course finishes...

I bought a Duofold Junior from Deb at Goodwriterssales. I'm also on the hunt for a Conway Stewart 58 cap (or parts pen with cap attached) because I picked up a capless grey hatched (or maybe olive, it's hard to tell) 58 cheap with the intention of putting the nib in something else, but then the body was so nice I'd rather keep it together. Someone had slightly sprung the Duro nib by trying to flex it, but it is a lovely writer if you don't attempt to repeat the misuse! Naturally, the 58 has a larger diameter than most of the other Conway Stewarts, so it is harder to find a cap that fits...

(As an aside, being able to make replacement parts for vintage pens is the kind of thing that really makes me want to take up pen-turning. However I'm safe for the present as I have no shed or workshop space for a lathe).

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

amk (May 31st, 2019), azkid (May 31st, 2019), gbryal (May 31st, 2019), penwash (June 1st, 2019)

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

amk (June 3rd, 2019), gbryal (May 31st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Here's my final one - I'd intended to take less washed-out photos, but am out of time!

This one is less vintage - a Kaweco Sport V16 from 1970 with gold OB nib. It is the adorablest little piston filler. I have shown it next to a current Skyline Sport (part fox, part macchiato).

IMG_20190520_132949-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190520_133201-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190520_132845-01.jpg

Diamine honey burst gives this one a really useful colour contrast for my notes.

I was also intending to rotate through a few more pens, but I kept refilling the Vac and Conway Stewart 759! I was really enjoying using both - the Vac is fine enough to be no trouble anywhere, the Conway Stewart is a little more idiosyncratic but the softness of the nib is lovely. Maybe in another month when my course finishes...

I bought a Duofold Junior from Deb at Goodwriterssales. I'm also on the hunt for a Conway Stewart 58 cap (or parts pen with cap attached) because I picked up a capless grey hatched (or maybe olive, it's hard to tell) 58 cheap with the intention of putting the nib in something else, but then the body was so nice I'd rather keep it together. Someone had slightly sprung the Duro nib by trying to flex it, but it is a lovely writer if you don't attempt to repeat the misuse! Naturally, the 58 has a larger diameter than most of the other Conway Stewarts, so it is harder to find a cap that fits...

(As an aside, being able to make replacement parts for vintage pens is the kind of thing that really makes me want to take up pen-turning. However I'm safe for the present as I have no shed or workshop space for a lathe).
    I love those vintage Kawecosports. I have a 12G from the 50s I believe. It came in a set with a pencil and case. The nib is a broad italic with some flex. It’s a fun little pen for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butthurticus-VIII For This Useful Post:

amk (June 3rd, 2019), gbryal (June 1st, 2019), Voiren (June 1st, 2019)