Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really USPS?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Really USPS?

I sold a bottle of ink to someone who lives in Orlando FL. I bought the label through PayPal and checked that it was all correctly printed. I paid for the flagship service from Royal Mail - Tracked & Signed all the way to the recipients door.

This is the tracking You will see that all went well until USPS got it at Kennedy Airport in New York. Then there is a new twist. Can you see and believe what happened next? It's apparently true. It has happened. Tracking can't lie.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Really USPS?

The closest I have had to this was when I bought my m20o brown marbled from the writing desk. Tracking I was provided was for a packing going to Ireland and not mine, which was headed to Utah, USA.

Once it showed out for delivery or even had been delivered I contacted vendor and they sent me the correct tracking information....

Doesn't sound like the exact same situation though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

Don't fret. "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility." Or it wants to stop by Aurora on the way to the USA.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 24th, 2018 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 811 Posts

Thanks

I'm really hoping that the tracking is wrong and it's safely on it's way to Florida from New York, but I have this feeling it's going via Italy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 700 Posts

I've observed with USPS tracking on some items that they arrived at the facility in Springfield, MA, were sent to the wrong town in Connecticut, sent back to Springfield, and from there sent to my own Connecticut town. This is on a different level, however.

At least your package should have some interesting markings if it ever gets to Orlando. I'd save the packaging if I were the recipient.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Silverbreeze (April 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    I've observed with USPS tracking on some items that they arrived at the facility in Springfield, MA, were sent to the wrong town in Connecticut, sent back to Springfield, and from there sent to my own Connecticut town. This is on a different level, however.

At least your package should have some interesting markings if it ever gets to Orlando. I'd save the packaging if I were the recipient.
    I will wait and see if it arrives. It's a good job I pack my parcels well. The last one was stopped at Heathrow and couldn't be sent to Belgium because the ink bottle looked like a perfume bottle, according to the person looking at the scanner screen. That one was returned to Royal Mail Dangerous Goods, who wrote me that all ink is prohibited in Belgium. I wonder if they know that snippet of information?

I think I might give up on mailing Internationally. I can't cope.

Thanks

Well, if the shipping woes for Mystery Inks are anything to go by, this doesn't surprise me. Packages to England, Turkey, and Japan required less time than a package to New York. But then the package to New Zealand got lost in a corner somewhere in Chicago for a week and was delivered 3 days after finally making it onto a plane.

Did the address on your package contain any unnecessary "u's", or maybe an "s" where a "z" should be? You know we can't read those in the United States.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...Royal Mail Dangerous Goods, who wrote me that all ink is prohibited in Belgium....
    All ink is prohibited in Belgium? Now there's a good bit of humor. It sure appears like a bureaucrat who is so lazy he/she makes up stuff to avoid responsibility to make decisions. Bureaucrats specialize in that behavior.

I wonder what he would have said if asked, "What are Belgians expected to do with their empty fountain pens?"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 25th, 2018)

Thanks

I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. A few years ago I shipped a (very expensive) phono cartridge to a chap in Australia. The target delivery date came and went, and the buyer had not received the item. I went to my local USPS office to make an inquiry, and the manager was very helpful. After doing a bit of research, he said something to the effect that, "Your package was delivered to Bahrain by mistake." He got on the stick, and a few days later the package was delivered to its rightful owner.

I hope Chrissy's outcome is similarly happy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Isn't 8:24am Torino time 27 minutes before 2:51am NY time? The ink is time traveling, so it might yet arrive yesterday.
    --
    Mike

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2018), countrydirt (April 24th, 2018)

Thanks

This has happened to me before. I sent a parcel from the UK to another country in Europe. It got there very quickly, but the day after it was in South America! It was there for about a week before it got back to the correct country, and then another three days to get to the recipient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Isn't 8:24am Torino time 27 minutes before 2:51am NY time? The ink is time traveling, so it might yet arrive yesterday.
    You beat me to this comment. No doubt something is wrong but I’m not ready to believe the package already made it to Italy. The NY distribution center is notoriously bad, and I’d be shocked if any package made it through their facility in less than 24 hours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    You beat me to this comment. No doubt something is wrong but I’m not ready to believe the package already made it to Italy. The NY distribution center is notoriously bad, and I’d be shocked if any package made it through their facility in less than 24 hours.
    It's definitely been tracked in Italy. No doubt about that. It arrived in NY last Saturday at 2am, then was put on a plane to Italy instead of Orlando.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    This has happened to me before. I sent a parcel from the UK to another country in Europe. It got there very quickly, but the day after it was in South America! It was there for about a week before it got back to the correct country, and then another three days to get to the recipient.
    This is disturbing news. It looks like I'm going to miss another ebay delivery date.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. A few years ago I shipped a (very expensive) phono cartridge to a chap in Australia. The target delivery date came and went, and the buyer had not received the item. I went to my local USPS office to make an inquiry, and the manager was very helpful. After doing a bit of research, he said something to the effect that, "Your package was delivered to Bahrain by mistake." He got on the stick, and a few days later the package was delivered to its rightful owner.

I hope Chrissy's outcome is similarly happy.
    Fingers crossed for this outcome. The problem is I can't contact USPS. I can't phone them because I'm in the UK, and I can't send an email because they won't allow me to complete the Contact Us form without a US address.

I wouldn't mind, but no tracking has happened since Saturday April 21st, so it's not like they are making any effort to put it right. Perhaps it's a one plane per week service from Italy to NY?
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 25th, 2018 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks

Belgium is the land of regulations.... I think it is one of their largest exports
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

It's always Orlando somewhere.

Thanks

I phoned today. It's waiting to go through Italian Customs. After 25 days I have to make a claim that it's lost. That's that then.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 25th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

The mind boggles....