Thread: Hive Mind Advice: Help with Nos Sheaffer Skript Blue (Glass Bottle)

Thanks

Question Hive Mind Advice: Help with Nos Sheaffer Skript Blue (Glass Bottle)

I have some NOS Sheaffer Script Blue ink in the old glass bottle. It hadn't been opened till I got it and I made a sample for my ink catalog and was wowed by the color (please see the attached image).

I don't have any blue inks like it nor have I seen any blue/grey inks that match it. It's blue, not aqua, and medium toned, like a grey. Many blues go aqua, or deep blue, blue black or burple.

It's the almost the same color as the light lighter blue banner this forum on my screen.

The image I attached is as close as I can get to what I see. It's on Clairefontaine paper.
    Can anyone recommend a modern alternative that's close in color?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sfarkhan; April 26th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Hive Mind Advice: Help with Nos Sheaffer Skript Blue (Glass Bottle)

Current alternative? No, but EBay usually has more than a few bottles of classic Sheaffer Skrip. I have a couple of 4-ounce bottles of blue in boxes that advertise their Snorkel. Their blue-black is also nice, and it might have been a "school standard ink". You can often find nearly-full "master bottles", 32-ounces, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHE...MAAOSwsGlatvWR

Thanks

Diamine Indigo?

Here's Chrissy's review:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Diamine-Indigo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    Diamine Indigo?

Here's Chrissy's review:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...Diamine-Indigo
    Thanks! That's closer but still too indigo. This writes just as light as the swab in the picture I provided.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Current alternative? No, but EBay usually has more than a few bottles of classic Sheaffer Skrip. I have a couple of 4-ounce bottles of blue in boxes that advertise their Snorkel. Their blue-black is also nice, and it might have been a "school standard ink". You can often find nearly-full "master bottles", 32-ounces, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHE...MAAOSwsGlatvWR
    Thanks, I didn't see that in my eBay search earlier. I would like to have a more reliable source but this is a good amount for a long while!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

The original Sheaffer Skrip Blue in your bottle has probably faded over time. Please beware that when buying other vintage bottles, you may not get the same colour ink, as they might not have all faded to the same colour.

Thanks

The old SKRIP was a vibrant blue, this seems weird

Prussian Blue from Diamine looks very similar
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol View Post

Could this be blue black and it faded? That Diamine looks very close, thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfarkhan View Post

Could this be blue black and it faded? That Diamine looks very close, thank you!
    It looks like some Skrip Permanent Blue that I use. My experience: the brightness in blue fades and the ink saturates itself. A little evaporates. I've found it in both old Skrip and Quink. A "blue and yellow" Skrip blue will probably be around the same color...of course, not exactly the same, but within the same range.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sfarkhan View Post

It looks like some Skrip Permanent Blue that I use. My experience: the brightness in blue fades and the ink saturates itself. A little evaporates. I've found it in both old Skrip and Quink. A "blue and yellow" Skrip blue will probably be around the same color...of course, not exactly the same, but within the same range.
    Thanks, that sounds right.