Thread: Pelkan 140 section and nib

Thanks

Question Pelkan 140 section and nib

I have a replacement nib I want to screw into a 140 (pretty sure it's a 140: it looks like my 400nn but is shorter).

The section looks as pictured. I assume it is a screw-fit because it's a 140 and it has threads (Perhaps difficult to see but the lighter rings toward the back of the inner ring. I believe I am looking at the back of the threads that are actually screwing into the outer ring. Maybe it's a clear collar?

pelikan-1.jpg

However, dragging a probe over the threads reveal them to be smooth.

Is it possible that what I am seeing is actually the remnant of a previous nib unit cuff? Or is this a friction-fit feed?

In any case, the vintage, threaded nib (this one actually: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...nd-collar-unit ) (thanks, Fred!) doesn't fit as the threads are as wide as the inner ring pictured.

Any ideas from the experts?
    Last edited by gbryal; April 27th, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: Pelkan 140 section and nib

Looks to me like the collar is still in the section and it is cracked. Use an appropriate easyout and some heat to get it out.

Might try soaking in water first as well as using heat.

FB

Thanks

That was it, since it was cracked I was able to bend it inward and grab it with forceps.
    The nib still is tight and after heat and soak of the section still won't go all the way in, but I'll try more heating. There's a small crack on the section that is holding but it might just be this is not a nib and feed this pen wants.

Thanks

1.) There were plug nibs for the Pelikan 400 in early times (until ~1950). Later the nib segment was a screw mount type.
    May we have some complete pics of Your pen and the nib?

2.) Did You store the pen for some days in clear water, it's possible that You pulled out the inner section of a screw mounted nib and the screw sleeve ist still stuck in the pen.
    In this case pen has to be stored longer period in clear water and the nib unit pressed into the pen, then trying to screw out the whole unit.
    Don't use too much force!
    good luck
    Thomas