Thread: Comparison Pelikan Stola and Platinum Plaisir

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Comparison Pelikan Stola and Platinum Plaisir

I have two inexpensive pens that I bought recently, a Platinum Plaisir and a Pelikan P16 Stola III. They are generally similar enough to make a comparison between them.

Taking the Platinum first, it's quite a large pen at a little over 14 cm. It's slightly tapered with rounded ends. The clip is very straight and plain and reminds me a little of a Waterman pressure bar. The large cap band covers the cap lip and is engraved "Platinum Japan Plaisir". The press-on cap fits firmly. The section is clear plastic – not that appealing to the eye but comfortable in the hand. The pen takes Platinum cartridges. The angular nib is, in this case, a fine and it is the nib that is a particular appeal of this pen for me. It is precise and has adequate feedback. It's a great pen for very little money and it's a keeper.

The Pelikan Stola is a little shorter at 13.5 cm. It's a straight sided pen, a little reminiscent of the Sheaffer Targa. The cap top bears the Pelikan logo, a nice touch, and the barrel end is black. The clip, which looks a little like the old accommodation clips, is very stiff. I don't clip pens to my clothes but I think it would be difficult to use. Again, the cap is push-on and it holds firmly. The tapered black section is comfortable and the steel nib is nicely engraved. It is an altogether more handsome pen that the Platinum. Where it falls down for me is when I write with it. The nib is too smooth for me, and with a generous ink-flow it's positively slippery. The nib is bland and doesn't suit me at all. Under magnification, the point is rounded and highly polished. It's a lot of pen for the money and it will be appreciated by writers who like a very smooth nib but it's not for me. I won't be keeping the Stola.

It's clear that there are very good pens available for little money these days, and not just from China or India. We often ask how the Chinese can turn out pens as cheaply as they do. While there are Chinese pens cheaper than either, these are not much more expensive. The Plaisir, especially, is a very low-cost pen.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

aaronp (May 3rd, 2018), BillPorter (April 28th, 2018), catbert (April 28th, 2018), countrydirt (April 28th, 2018), Medieval (April 28th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Comparison Pelikan Stola and Platinum Plaisir

What do you think about the special mechanism that Platinum use in their cap? I forgot the name but it is supposed to help stop the ink from drying?

Thanks

The cap is excellent.👍 Pen writes immediate even after hibernating for months.

Thanks

Thanks, I have heard great things about Platinum cap. Will need to try their pens out