Thread: FS: 5 Lifetime Sheaffer Balances (Oversized, Rose Glow, Ebonized Pearl, Plunger Fill)

Thanks

Default FS: 5 Lifetime Sheaffer Balances (Oversized, Rose Glow, Ebonized Pearl, Plunger Fill)

5 fully restored Sheaffer Lifetime Balances from the 30s for sale this weekend, including 2 of the most desirable colors and 3 oversized models, one of which is a recently overhauled plunger/vacuum filler.

**Condition (n.b.):** All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs/seals in the past month. *Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. These pens have no cracks, chips, personal engravings, missing parts, bent nibs, misaligned tines, or threading issues.*

1. 1934-5 Sheaffer Balance Statesman Set in Ebonized Pearl (full-sized, lever filler, GPT, 14k F nib). This is the full-sized, standard girth model, measuring 5 3/8” capped. Production of the flat ball clip ended in 1934-5 while production of this color began in 1934, so it’s safe to say this pen dates from 1934-5. The Ebonized Pearl color featured genuine abalone chips embedded in the celluloid. Most of these pens exhibit orange discoloration of the layers above the chips, dulling their luster. The color of this set, however, is perfect. Alongside oversized pens at the same price point, this was Sheaffer’s top of the line model, featuring their white dot lifetime guarantee and two-tone Lifetime nib with a subtly upturned point in the Waverly style. The nib on this pen lays down a buttery smooth and consistent F line (see writing sample). Condition: excellent, with no brassing to the trim but for a negligible sliver on each side of the clip ball and very bottom edge of the lever visible under a loupe. Smooth, lustrous finish and deep, fully legible imprint. The only noteworthy “flaw” is a professional monogram on the back of the cap bands (“H.J.S.” - see caps photo). Pencil shows no cosmetic blemishes and is fully functional. A collector-grade example of the most vibrantly colored Balance Sheaffer made.

Price: $210 $185 SOLD

2. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Statesman in Rose Glow (full-sized, lever filler, GPT, 14k F/M nib). This is the full-sized, standard girth model, measuring 5 3/8” capped. A later Balance with the streamlined radius clip in a color that is rivaled only by grey marble in terms of scarcity. The larger lifetime models in this color are particularly difficult to find. Arguably the most sought after color by collectors, Rose Glow is often confused with Carmine but exhibits thinner red striations interspersed with grey/blue. The painterly result is stunning to behold in person. Alongside oversized pens at the same price point, this is another one of Sheaffer’s top of the line models, featuring their white dot lifetime guarantee, two-tone Lifetime nib with a subtly upturned point in the Waverly style, and visulated section window for checking ink level. The nib on this pen lays down a buttery smooth and consistent F/M line (depending on ink, see writing sample). Condition: excellent, with no brassing to the trim but for one small spot on the bottom edge of the cap band situated just to the right of the clip (see uncapped photo) and to the very bottom edge of the lever visible under a loupe. No other noteworthy issues. Smooth, lustrous finish and deep, fully legible imprint. The going rate for oversized Rose Glows in this condition is $600+. If you never cottoned to the chunky sections of those, this full-sized pen is available at roughly 1/3 the price.

Price: $230 $215 $205 SOLD

3. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Premier in Golden Brown Striated (oversized, lever filler, GPT, 14k EF/F nib). This is the oversized model, measuring 5 5/8” capped with a thick barrel girth a hair over 1/2”. By vintage standards, the OS Balance is a very large pen, being thicker than Vacumatic Maximas and oversized Dorics of the era. White dot lifetime guarantee, streamlined radius clip, two-tone Lifetime nib with a subtly upturned point in the Waverly style, and visulated section window for checking ink level. The nib on this pen lays down a buttery smooth and consistent EF/F line (depending on ink, see writing sample). Condition: excellent/very good, with minor high-point brassing to the trim – still cleaner than most. Deep, fully legible imprint and smooth, lustrous finish aside from a nick and a rough patch near the imprint (see imprints photo). No other noteworthy issues.

Price: $200 $185 $175 $150 SOLD

4. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Premier in Grey/Silver Pearl Striated (oversized, lever filler, GPT, 14k EF/F nib). This is the oversized model, measuring 5 5/8” capped with a thick barrel girth a hair over 1/2”. White dot lifetime guarantee, streamlined radius clip, two-tone Lifetime nib, and visulated section window for checking ink level. The nib on this pen lays down a buttery smooth and consistent EF line (see writing sample). Condition: fair. At arms length this is a very clean pen, but closer inspection reveals some issues. There is a hairline crack in the cap lip that extends above the cap band. Two years ago I chemically welded the crack using professionally recommended methods (MEK & celluloid paste) and it’s been perfectly stable since. The repair lines up with one of the seams between striations, so it’s quite inconspicuous (have always had to point it out to others who couldn’t find it). In addition, I received the pen with what appears to be a factory flaw on the back of the cap: an oblong area where the striations look slightly different (see caps photo). Finally, the trim exhibits wear commensurate with the delicate nickel-plating on these pens: scratches to the clip and cap band as well as brassing to the edges of the cap band on one side and to the bottom of the lever. Yet the celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish and deep, fully legible imprint. For the writer looking for a solid if user-grade OS Balance.

Price: $150 SOLD

5. 1936-9 Sheaffer Balance Premier in Marine Green Striated (oversized, plunger filler, GPT, 14k EF nib). This is the oversized model, measuring 5 5/8” capped with a thick barrel girth a hair over 1/2”. This pen is equipped with Sheaffer’s patented, one-stroke plunger-filling mechanism. After unscrewing the blind cap at the back of the barrel, then submerging the nib in bottle, one extends the piston rod from the back and presses it down to fill the barrel, which is transparent between striations to enable full visibility of the ink level (see detail photo). Holds buckets of ink! The filling system is notoriously difficult to repair and I don’t own lathe, so I left the pen with Jim Baer of Monomoy Vintage Pens (manufacturer of J.B.’s Perfect Pen Flush). He replaced the seals and packing unit this month and the pen now fills to the hilt with impressive vacuum pressure. White dot lifetime guarantee, streamlined radius clip, and two-tone Lifetime nib with upturned point in the Waverly style. The nib on this pen lays down a buttery smooth and consistent EF line (see writing sample). Condition: excellent, with no brassing to the trim but 3 spots of corrosion on the cap band and a spot on each side of the clip ball (note that since taking the caps photo, I was able to remove most of the corrosion from the side of the clip). No other noteworthy issues. Deep, fully legible imprint and smooth, lustrous finish to the celluloid.

Price: $240 SOLD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:
    • USPS First-Class with tracking for $4;
    • USPS Priority with tracking for $8.
    Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for roughly a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; July 20th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: 5 Lifetime Sheaffer Balances (Oversized, Rose Glow, Ebonized Pearl, Plunger F

Prices reduced on remaining pens

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: 5 Lifetime Sheaffer Balances (Oversized, Rose Glow, Ebonized Pearl, Plunger F

weekly

Thanks

Reductions on 2 remaining pens

Thanks

weekly bump

Thanks

Weekly bump. I should also mention that I have a correct, two-tone Lifetime factory stub nib available for #2, which can be installed on request for an extra $25.

Thanks

further reductions

Thanks

Default FS: 5 Lifetime Sheaffer Balances (Oversized, Rose Glow, Ebonized Pearl, Plunger Fill)

Quote Originally Posted by popcod View Post
    further reductions
    Is the rose glow still available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk